Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Returning from Colorado - advice...

We are currently in Estes Park, CO and are about to head back to Austin, Texas on Thursday. Due to the horrible road construction (delays and 20 miles of washboard roads) on US 87 between Raton, NM and Dalhart, Texas, and the fires near Raton, NM that are closing the interstate periodically, we are investigating a different route back to Texas.

We are looking to go from Estes Park to Dalhart, Texas on Thursday and we pretty much have two choices:

1. I-25 South to Pueblo, then US 50 East to Lamar, CO, then US 385 South via Boise City, OK, to Dalhart, TX

2. I-25 South to Denver, I-70 East to Limon, CO, then exit on to US 287. Follow US-287 south all the way to Lamar, CO (via Kit Carson, CO and Eads, CO). From Lamar, CO follow US 385 South via Boise City, OK, to Dalhart, TX.

#2 is about 30 miles shorter but definitely goes through a lot more small towns.

The second part of the route we need advice on is from Dalhart, TX we are trying to get to Lubbock to visit Texas Tech with our daughter. Looks like we can continue to follow US 385 all the way from Dalhart down to the Northwest side of Lubbock or we can head east over Amarillo and then take I-27 south to Lubbock.

So any advice or thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
At Boise City you can take 287 straight into Amarillo, then down I-27 to Lubbock. The only time I've actually taken that route was on a church ski bus headed to Winter Park, but that is the very route they followed from Amarillo. They went all the way up to Lamar on 287, then took I-70.

The Pueblo route would work as well, I feel sure, but I've never taken that part US 50.

On reading your post again, it may be that you wish to go to Dalhart. In that case disregard my comments about 287 to Amarillo.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
US 385 from US 87 at Hartley to I-40 at Vega is a good highway. We always take that route going to/from Colorado to avoid Amarillo (except on the interstate) and Dumas. Neither of which is a big problem, just some slow downs and traffic lights.
Haven't been any of the other routes you question. We are headed to Colorado this weekend. Will be watching the Raton fire to decide which way we will be going.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chris-- Come East and stay with us till the Central Plains Regional Rally July 13-18th!YOu could attend the College World Series starting this Friday, too! What a great way to enjoy the weather and meet new MOC members!This has been a CPRR paid commercial!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
cgaskins
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10861
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Chris-- Come East and stay with us till the Central Plains Regional Rally July 13-18th!YOu could attend the College World Series starting this Friday, too! What a great way to enjoy the weather and meet new MOC members!This has been a CPRR paid commercial!
Thank you for the offer but unfortunately I have to return to work on Monday. I just took off 2 weeks (first time I have ever taken 2 consecutive weeks in 21 years of working).

-Chris
cgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well maybe next year! Have a safe trip back and don't work to hard upon your return! I've been retired for 6 years now and can't figure out how I ever had time for work! LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote