Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #21
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

If you are going to post laws on here, back them up; otherwise, they are merely more gossip.
Good point...so explain where the information came from that says it's okay to ignore vehicle GW ratings (they are guides or suggestions) but we must abide by the GW ratings for wheels, tires and axles??

billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #22
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhoover

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

If you are going to post laws on here, back them up; otherwise, they are merely more gossip.
Good point...so explain where the information came from that says it's okay to ignore vehicle GW ratings (they are guides or suggestions) but we must abide by the GW ratings for wheels, tires and axles??
I do not believe I have posted any such information. I have said repeatedly that if I were going to tow overweight, I would be SOB right now. However, when someone makes a decision to tow overweight, I am not going to criticize them. I believe someone on here did say they had gotten an opinion from their attorney. Rest assured, if I post that the door sticker on the truck is a suggestion or guideline, I will have documentation to back it up, and it sure won't be a forum post I snagged somewhere on the internet... edited by MOC Admin.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #23
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
There are lots of places it where it says do not tow over weight. The most prominent is in every owner's manual. The only place where people say its okay is on these forums, where people try to justify what they are doing.

As for the attorney...I sure would not put my name out there on the internet with any type of 'official' opinion on anything.

I try not to critize either, it's a good way to get locked out.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cheeze..The guy is/was a attorney and he gave us information based on his experience. When I got information about my center pin failure from a couple of mechanics on this forum I did not ask for them to back up their statements with documentation or ask for a copy of their Mr Good wrench certificate. If everyone who will give a opinion based on their experience and field of expertise need to submit documentation and diplomas ..none of us should say anything.???????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #25
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
I try to stay out of these discussions but do read them with interest at times.

The only weight rating that is an issue for my truck and my rig is the truck GVWR. I am anywhere from 50 lbs UNDER GVWR to 3-400 lbs over GVWR, depending on what/who is on board w.r.t. passengers, dogs, and firewood. I have weighed it multiple times and axles, tires, wheels, and GCVWR are all within limits at all times.

So I ask - has anyone ever heard of a cop, prosecutor, or judge weighing a 5er to determine if it exceeded the door sticker at the time of the accident? It seems pretty far fetched and seems to be "bogey man" scare tactics at best. I have a weight ticket that shows I "can" be underweight. I also have one that shows me to be overweight. Guess which one I'll produce if asked to do so? Does anyone think a court will try to replicate the conditions on the day of the mishap - to include exact gas tank load, firewood, dog weights, water and waste tank levels, etc? I think there is a better chance of being struck by lightning.

The real issue is - do you want to tow with a vehicle that is at or over its GVWR? I would say if you do, realize you are potentially at the margins of safety. I realize that and choose to accept the risk and understand my threat is not lawyers and courts, but excessive wear on my truck and potential issues with control if a rear tire fails.

My next truck will be a dually. Not because I fear lawyers coming to get me, but because it will give me a safety pad I do not currently enjoy.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote