Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
PVC Sewer Hose Storage

My apologies to the forum for not being able to find the answer in a search of the forum.
Question one, Those who have put a pvc pipe under the frame for sewer storage...have you drilled any holes in the bottom for water to drain out?
Second question. Have you drilled any holes in the front of the pvc pipe to force air thru it when traveling?
Or do you keep it completely closed..
I know this may have come up in the past but I'm unable to locate it in the search.
Let the voice of wisdom from the forum come forth.
Hugh

HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HughM

Question one, Those who have put a pvc pipe under the frame for sewer storage...have you drilled any holes in the bottom for water to drain out?
Second question. Have you drilled any holes in the front of the pvc pipe to force air thru it when traveling?
Or do you keep it completely closed..
I know this may have come up in the past but I'm unable to locate it in the search.
Let the voice of wisdom from the forum come forth.
Hugh
Hugh,
1. Yes, I drilled two holes in the bottom of both of my PVC tubes I installed. I used these holes (about 3/4" diameter) through which I inserted my drill (with extension) to that I could insert the bolt with it's fender washer into the hole in the top that lined up with the chassis member that runs lengthwise on each side of the rig. Use fender washers under the head of the bolt so that there is more surface tightening the PVC to the chassis. One bolt on each side has been sufficient for over five years now. Some people have used carriage straps from one side of the tube to the other on both ends of the tube. I don't know that this is any stronger, but it may be. Mine have held up well.

2. No. I keep mine completely closed. I used threaded collars on both ends into which I screwed PVC caps which I can unscrew and remove the sewer hoses when I need them. Haven't noticed any road grime inside the tubes in all these years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Thanks Orv. I did mine a little different since I have a box frame and can't get inside of the box for a bolt or a nut.
I had two pieces of angle iron welded to the frame and drilled two holes in each piece of the angle iron. I used threaded stock and bent it to a U shape and bolted it to the newly welded angle iron. Had I thought about it I could have done what you did and bolted it to the angle iron.
I also used threaded collars on both ends and screwed PVC caps.
Hugh
Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HughM

Thanks Orv. I did mine a little different since I have a box frame and can't get inside of the box for a bolt or a nut.
I had two pieces of angle iron welded to the frame and drilled two holes in each piece of the angle iron. I used threaded stock and bent it to a U shape and bolted it to the newly welded angle iron. Had I thought about it I could have done what you did and bolted it to the angle iron.
I also used threaded collars on both ends and screwed PVC caps.
Hugh
What year trailer had the boxed frame?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Bigmurf...It's an SOB..Carriage Cameo.
Hugh
Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Our PVC tubes each have 3 holes drilled in the bottom for drainage and other than that are completely sealed with screw caps at each end. We have one 6" tube and one 8". To fasten we used threaded stock bent into a U and drilled thru the I-beam frame to secure.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We drilled holes about every 2" on the 6" PVC we use for sewer hoses. Both of ours have screw caps on the ends (one is used for folding ladder). Both have worked just fine and are very easy to access.
Happy trails.............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Just a thought insted of 6 inch round PVC, go to Home Depot and get the square 6 inch PVC fence post, along with the decrative caps to put on the ends its a lot cheaper, and easier to install a flat surface to another insted of a round surface to a flat.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #9
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
NOW that is an excellent idea! You are a smart man! I made mine similar to the above years ago and just moved it when traded.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #10
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Just a thought insted of 6 inch round PVC, go to Home Depot and get the square 6 inch PVC fence post, along with the decrative caps to put on the ends its a lot cheaper, and easier to install a flat surface to another insted of a round surface to a flat.
....and, as an additional bonus, the PVC fence post is MUCH lighter than Schedule 40 round pipe.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hugh, I used pvc pipe that already had a few holes. Otherwise I would have drilled a few holes in it to let it drain. That was on our prior Montana. This one has internal sewer hose storage and I've not had to add additional storage although I did add a door to make a second hose storage on the other side of the rig.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
trailer trash2, that's what i used also. put two small hinges on the end caps and cabinet hardware to hold them shut. my last 5er had a square bumper in the back. was a very easy application
to the bumper. now i just need to figure out were i want to install it. the built in storage area for the hose is kind of useless imo.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Thanks to all for your input. Pipe is installed with screw in caps. I think I'll put a drain hole in each end just to make sure water isn't trapped in there.
Thanks again.
Hugh