Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Has anyone been to:

Cedar City Utah?
Sue and I are still looking for a place to move to, and monitoring a few cities this Summer in Texas makes me think I need another state, too hot and the humidity is too high.
I went on City scape, or something, and Cedar City looks pretty darn nice.
Any input??
Thanks.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You could get you a couple of more wifes out there. g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

You could get you a couple of more wifes out there. g
Why would any man want that?

Seriously, I bet it gets cold there. Never been to Utah, probably never will. OZZ, it is hot down here on the coast in TX, but there is always a breeze. I had folks tell me I would be sorry I stayed here. But, it is no hotter than East TX, and always a breeze off the water.

Now, I must admit, I'm a little anxious about the hurricanes. But, we'll just stay ready to move.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,

Cedar City is a nice little city. I believe there is a college there. It is at the foot of some very tall mountains. Sort of straddles I-15. The drive between Cedar City and hwy 89 to the east is a beautiful drive. At the top of the mountain at about 10K or so is a place called Cedar Breaks NP. Another beautiful area. We drove from Bryce Canyon across 148 into Cedar City. We lost our brakes on the trailer at the top of this drive.

We tried to come down very slowly. Thankfully the 450 has 15 inch brakes and of course we geared down. Still got the brakes VERY hot. They finally cooled down by the time we got to St. George.

Here is a link that will get you some info about cities in the U.S..

http://www.city-data.com/

It does get cold and there is a bit of snow but not too much of either. You are in the middle of some beautiful country.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
ozz, cedar city is a collage town, the town is starting to grow. the winters are mild, they do get snow several times during the winter. during the summer the temp will reach middle 90's. cedar city is a great town. my dad was from a town close by. hope this helps some
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Don't know if you could stand living 40 miles North of me. Average high in the summer is around 90 with low humidity. Our average high in the summer here is 100, our humidity right now is 7. Cedar City gets more rain then we do as it is on the other side of the mountain. We had 4 inches of rain last year. The elevation up there is 5800 feet and we live at 3300 feet. We only moved here 3 years ago, but we sure like it here, especially the low crime rate and the spectacular scenery, and no I'm not looking for more wifes. Those guys live 25 miles South of me.
One thing you will like is the mileage you will get if you tow to Vegas, the 3800 foot elevation drop will give you good mileage, won't mention the mileage coming back.
Here's how it looks about 30 miles East of Cedar City, Cedar Breaks.

And if you want to go another 30 miles East, Bryce Canyon.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks Pete,

I was hoping you'd jump in and give him some info. That difference in elevation does make a difference. But the area is so beautiful..... that is if you like bright red mountains!

Dennis
Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c5racer

Our average high in the summer here is 100, our humidity right now is 7.
Wow, I think we're in the shower here. I didn't realize there was a place with that low of humidity. OZZ, there's that low humidity you've been looking for.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Ozz: Here's some links for info:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/
http://www.bestplaces.net/
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:53 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That's what we were looking for, thanks all of you for the input. How would the weather be in October/November? probably starting to snow, I would guess.
Pete, I love your house very nice.
Will, we will probably still Winter down at Padre, but nothing is set in stone.
Dennis, that city data is where I went, it is good info.
emdavis, thanks, the information does help.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Ozz after traveling all over Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Texas. We were spending two months in the spring and fall at our home base in Tennessee the rest would be Montana and the RGV, we also like Arizona for the winter months. We were spending our winters in the RGV or Arizona. Utah was awesome, and low crime. Don't like Cal. some do some don't. Spent time in Santa Barbara, it was ok but not as good as Montana, Arizona or Texas. We are going to Florida for this winter, but a lot more expensive. However as long as Delaine's Mom and Dad are with us we will spend our winters were we can be home in a days drive. I lived in Arizona for 6 years and the humidity there was great, it was at Ft Huachuca (Sierra Vista) area, liked the winters. But with all the illegals don't want to be there, we were there in 2006, 2007. It it wasn't for the family we would be in Montana, Utah or Wyoming now, humidity at 8:00 am is 69% and 77 degrees here and will be in the mid 90's today. I think Cedar City would also be great. Good Luck on your choices. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #12
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
This might help on the weather. You won't have to worry about tornado's, that's one of the reasons I left Sioux Falls, SD in 1976 to move to Seattle. Then we moved down here to get the moss off.

http://countrystudies.us/united-stat...cedar-city.htm

Little more info on Cedar City.

http://www.usacitiesonline.com/utcountycedarcity.htm
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the links, I went there and read them, I have also been reading that real estate is pricey there, would you recommend another area? How did you end up where you are? in Saint George.
What do you think about Missouri, I think I could live nicely in your house.......
Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jim, While staying in Bryce Canyon we made the trip to Cedar City, seemed like a nice place. I think I could live there, but would have to check out the political and religious climate first. That area is very beautiful and I think Cedar City is somewhat progressive....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Phil,

You really should put a smiley after the "religious and political" climate statement. I mean really!

Dennis
Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I don't see any problem with his statement, unless one reads something in it, that isn't there.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:49 AM   #17
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Ozz,

Compare state income taxes and sales tax in Utah to where you now live and other places you are considering. If I'm not mistaken, Utah is one of the worst 10 states in the country for state income tax and there is no break for senior citizens.

I don't think you will find the religious and political demographics much different than any other similar sized community and certainly no different than areas with a heavy Southern Baptist population.

If you are looking for milder winter weather, consider the Hurricane and St. George areas and even Mesquite, NV.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:15 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis ?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We lived in Utah for three years...I concur that you need to check out the 'religious' atmosphere. We would not go back to Utah to live for that reason.

Like a lot of things, IMHO, you need to do the research.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
If you are thinking about UT-check out Moab. It is growing but I heard the price of housing is pretty low right now. IT GETS HOT but dry.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote