Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
NYS Thruway --- shock.

We just came from Syracuse to Ohio via the NYS Thruway. I double checked with the toll booth operator about our ticket. Seems like good old NY now considers 5th wheels -- trucks. First toll to Buffalo was $21.00 ---- then to the end was another $9.70. What is NY trying to do? Not using that way again for a long long time.

And, of course, as you in Ohio know, it's raining. Of course, we're here. Watch out NC we're coming your way

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Mighty expensive road. Hope it was smooth as glass and bump free for that kind of dough!
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Ouch. And we complained today when we paid $2.00 on the Pennsylvania Turnpike for a short hop between two close exits. We left very wet Ohio this morning. We wish you safe travels through the water. We are glad that Monty kept us dry through the pouring rain that we had for several days. We were high so flooding was not a real concern where we camped (Kimbolton, OH).
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yes...it is very expensive as now they have graduated us 5th wheelers to the H4 category. This was a decision by our wonderful state representatives to create a money source at our expense.
Alternative is to use I86 formally Route 17 but this road is under repair and really needs it in some spots...other area's are very nice.
Sadly, I live here and yes, tend to pay the extra for the better road I90 and I87.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carol, would you guys head down toward Alabama, please? We need rain down there.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
If you get a dedicated E-Z Pass for the tow vehicle, they give a "Discount", to the "4L" Rate, instead of the "4H" Rate.

I have an E-Z for the TV when I'm not towing(It's white), and one for the TV & 5er combination (it's blue). I just switch them out for the right situation.

You can get an application for the E-Z Pass towing tag at:

E-Z Pass Application
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We don't use the thruway that often. By the time it goes on the credit card and I heard there's also a monthly fee involved, what do you save but time?
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 AM   #8
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

We don't use the thruway that often. By the time it goes on the credit card and I heard there's also a monthly fee involved, what do you save but time?
For a personal use account you do have to register a Credit Card, when you open the account $ 25.00 is charged against your card, and credited to your account, each time you use the E-Z Pass the amount is deducted from the account balance, once the balance falls below a certain level it's replenished with another $ 25.00 from the credit card. You're only charged for actual usage, there is no monthly fee.

You can get up to 4 E-Z Passes on one account (so you only have $ 25.00 tied up for 4 vehicles). E-Z can be used in much of the Northeast, for highway tolls, some bridge tolls, and even airport parking in the NYC area. This year you can even use it for parking at the New York State Fair.

My original motivation for getting one was I usually travel to Ocean City, Maryland in the summertime, and I go through Delaware to get there, on one stretch of the interstate Delaware had 2 toll booths where you had to stop, and pay $ 1.00, in the summertime the weekend shore traffic is bumper to bumper, and the lines at the toll booth can backup forever, but if you had an E-Z Pass you can just keep driving without stopping in the through lane (it will read your E-Z Pass at 65 miles per hour), that fact alone made it worth it.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
A couple of years back we went on I90 in N.Y. and paid a outrageous toll also. Told them that I just wanted to drive on the road NOT buy it. We found a different route through N.Y. Now when we go we buy no gas or nor do we eat in that state.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 AM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This is not as bad as E-470 in Colorado!
Cost us over $30 dollars one way, for 50 miles to Longmont CO to take our Montana for 2nd AC added. So came to $60 dollars for trip there and back.
This state charge by number of axles. And charge a lot!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote