Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
Auto slider hitches

I have a question for folks using the Superglide automatic sliding hitch.
I’m looking for input from anyone with a similar setup as ours.
I recently bought a 2007 F250 CC short bed for our TV, equipped with a Draw Tite 16K double pivot slider.
We have a 2005 3500RL with the Lippert 1116 pin box, which tucks the pin well behind the leading edge of the trailer.
The current hitch is set up with the king pin over the axle when the slider is
in the tow position. The corner of the trailer gets really close to the cab really quick when making a sharp turn. In the previous TV, a ’03 Chevy SB with the pin over the axle I could go almost 90 degrees with getting dangerously close.
I’m thinking it may be time to move to an auto slider to eliminate potential problems encountered in CG’s or gas stations.
I’d like to hear from anyone using any auto slider on a similar set-up as to how well it works and how happy you are with what you’re using.
Has anyone replaced the pinbox with a longer air cushioned pinbox? I think using a longer pinbox would be my absolute last resort.

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
When I had my slider hitch removed from my 2001 F350 to the 2006 F350, the placement went just about an inch closer to the front just because of the ford frame changes. With our 2003 Monty, it further restricted our turning and gave me a little surprise.

Auto sliders are great - just really read the directions before buying to make sure it will cure your issue. The auto sliders have limited movement and may not have enough travel for your particular case.

Also, you might PM MIMF2 on the pin box (Lippert). If you have a 1116 pinpox, you have the shorter one. You might be able to use the 1621 pinbox or air box equivalent for the 1621 which would give you an additional 3", providing you are within the weight limitations.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the Superglide and love it! The Superglide has a 14" travel path to allow enough clearance for the coach. I can make a full 90 degree turn with my truck and coach without any trouble. I have a CB antenna mounted in the front left bed stake hole, and have yet to have the coach hit the antenna going forward or reverse.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
gherman49
Established Member

M.O.C. #5673
You can call 1-800-443-2307, go through the menu until you get customer service, and a representative will let you know if the pullrite superslider will work for you. I just talked to them on my setup and they were very helpful. They will want to know make and model of truck, trailer width, and a measurement from the center of the kingpin to the leading edge. I also gave them my Lippert kingbox # and an estimate of how far the outside edges were behind the kingpin due to the front cap curvature -- which was the case on my 3295RK with a Lippert 1621.

Glenn
gherman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We love our Superglide and wouldn't have anything else. We have said it on this forum many, many times " this is absolutely the greatest hitch ever". People will disagree, but we wouldn't be without it. The CG we stay at in IL and when we stay at #1 son's house, we need to be able to do a ninety degree turn to get in and out. Without the slider, we would take a lot longer to get in and out of the site.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The coach that is used in the Superglide video is 102" wide with a kingpin that ends at the edge of the coach. (no extended pin) If the hitch will work for that, should be no problem for a Montana at 96" wide. Just another thought....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote