Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Tires load range E upgrade?

Has anyone changed their 16" load range E tires to either F or G? Did you have to buy new rims?

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sharon,

I changed from the 10-ply, E-rated tires to the 14-ply, F-rated tires. I did not have to change the rims. However, if I were in your position and considering making a change, I would find a good tire shop with lots of experience with trailer tires (big trailers, heavy load haulers) and discuss the rim issue with him. While I do not denigrate engineers, grass roots, experiencial information can sometimes be extremely valuable as compared to charts.

In my opinion, we don't need truck tires on these trailers. We need trailer tires because all the Monty wheels are idler wheels, not drive wheels nor wheels used for steering.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert. My decision was based on indepth discussions with a farm community tire man whose continued success in business depends on his reputation with his neighbors as opposed to the anonimity of the big city.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Thanks, Stiles. I appreciate your advice.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In most cases, you should upgrade the rims. The rims we get on our Montanas are rated for the 10-ply load range E tires. Putting the load range F or G tires I believe require more psi of air and from what a friend of mine who really knows tires told me, you could be creating a safety problem if you don't change the rims. Personally, if I were you, I would not upgrade the tires without upgrading the rims. That's something we are planning for the future.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote