Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Satellite Prep, What's it mean???

On my mountaineer (05 318BHS) there is a cable outlet with 2 coax connections that are jumpered together. It says "Satellite Prep". There is nothing on the outside of the rig identified for satellite. I do have a single connection outside for cable. I've read in one of the groups/forums tha the satellight will not work if connected to the cable hook-up because there is a splitter in line.
Owners manuel only talks about cable connection.
Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Dave

Montana_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Okay, first do a search for this on the MOC forum. There has been much discussion regarding this very topic.

Our TT has the "Satellite Prep" option also and this is how ours works. We hook the cable from the satellite dish to the single connection outside; I disconnect the loop and connect a cable from the botton connector to the satallite receiver box; I take the cable from the TV and connect it to the connector on the receiver box that says out to TV. Our system works fine, first time everytime. If we are not using the satellite dish and are using cable instead we hook the cable line to the connector outside and the TV cable to the bottom connector inside. But, like I first stated you might want to search the MOC forum, there's a great deal of good infomation regarding this topic.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Jeff is correct. Although our unit has two coax connectors outside, we basically do the same thing: a "pigtail" from the inside lower connector to the box; then from the box to the TV via the already installed cable running to the TV. Here is how you could check your connections: set your unit up like Jeff said, then hook up a signal strength meter between your dish & the outside connector. If the light & "beeper" comes on, you are getting the low voltage signal from your box to the dish. Turn on the TV and go to Dish Set Up. Type in the ZIP code where you are located and the screen will give you the azimuth & elevation for your area. Set your dish to those numbers & watch the S/S meter. The needle should move to "10". Turn down the gain (little knob) on the S/S meter to 4 or so, then re-tweek the dish till the meter reads "10" again. By that time the signal strength bar on your TV should be "in the green". Takes less than 5 minutes to "dial in the system" from start to finish. Hope this answers your question (s).
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
After doing another search in the general topics forum I was able to find out. The jumper is removed, the sat receiver is connected to the top coax connector for communtication with the dish and the bottem is for tv's. Thanks for the responses...

Dave
Montana_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:40 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sjordan007

After doing another search in the general topics forum I was able to find out. The jumper is removed, the sat receiver is connected to the top coax connector for communtication with the dish and the bottem is for tv's. Thanks for the responses...

Dave
As Jeff pointed out, the sat receiver should be connected to the "bottom" coax connector. You can then take the "tv" out from the sat receiver and connect it to the "top" connector. This will allow you to watch the same channel on both TV's when switched to either 2 or 3 depending on your receiver setting.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote