Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Internet complaints about Keystone

Rainy afternoon, messing around, and found multiple sites strongly condemning Keystone quality and Keystone customer service. 101 Keystone RV complaints and reviews, Facebook rv buyers beware, just to name a couple of sites. Refection of some serious problems and in some cases owner ignorance, like comments about aluminum frames?!. Most not addressing Montana units. If I believed everything I read on the internet I would be scared to death of any Keystone product.

Makes me wonder why we have had such a great experience and minimal problems with our Montana ownerships over the years. Guess we are just lucky. Or maybe it has something to do with being smart about RV construction, early identification of potential problems, and doing timely preventative maintenance.

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Remember what Abe Lincoln said " You can't believe everything you read on the internet." :-)
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Yep, I agree Mike. A little research before buying and a little maintenance goes a long way to having successful rving experiences. If you're not handy, it's going to get inconvenient and expensive in a hurry. As far as messages on the internet go, my comment is that most that take the time to post are dissatisfied with something. Not to mention, the overall malaise in this country that suggests we're all the victims and big business is out to get us. So, you're getting a lot of negative feedback. I try to worry about my own little world and deal with the issues as they arise. If I can get some help here on the forum, great. If I can deal with it myself, that's what I'll do. I'm not blaming Keystone for everything (although these decals look like a future problem). :-)

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Over all I'm happy with our rig and try to realize that with the number of rigs keystone produces the recorded complaints, while a reason for concern, are really a small percentage of the owners of Keystone products out there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I think George Washington posted you can't believe everything you read on the internet. I told Marilyn I was a French model
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I left RV net because of all the "stories about Montana's and other Crappy RV makes"! Many times I found they were trolls, or "serial posters". Many were making Multi Posts, using different names, but the writing gives them away. After researching the facts, I got very tired. Couple things to remember. Recalls and factory corrections, in high volumes are the real facts to look for when buying. Frankly,I found some real "Keystone Haters" on internet. Same with "Chrysler, Ford and GM"! I judge my RV long term quality in it's resale value. Montana and Keystone have very good resale numbers. Many of the "higher end units " do not. Want to see a brick hit bottom of the lake, buy a MS or New H! So read and decide. If guy had three paragraphs about a "strut failure" on a cargo door, it should register as Red Flag. Keystone has been fair with me, that's my "Yard Stick "!

OMG... I thought I recognized "Mr. Boyer" from those French Speedo ads!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have had good service from my Montana except for the decals which I have got most removed, but that's on the outside I live on the inside and that is just fine. as Artemus Gordon stated about the other place bashing other RV's I haven't been on that site in years .
Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Folks post problems and there are a lot keystone products out there. At the Mid Atlantic Rally Mike Mack mentioned they had built over 65K Montana's alone.

Most buyers do not do the proper homework before purchase. In many cases if people do not get their own way they will bash the manufacturer.

I do read RV net and it is very informative as it includes many owners of many different brands.
You will note that there are problems reported with Montana's every day here on tis forum and the two Facebook Montana pages.
We have had great experiences with our two Montana's but not minimal problems.

If the buyer is properly informed on the quality and build quality of Rv's there will be no surprised.

I for one do not use this Montana as recreational vehicle. We live in it most of the year and travel many miles over less than perfect roads.

Rv net does not exercise the control over bashing that is exercised here.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:34 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Rich is Right about RV NET they do not exercise much control over bashing etc.. people get brutal on each other sometimes about what brand is better etc.. I always cringe and never click on a post where somebody asked"I am in a market for a new 5th which one is best" but I do like the sight for other tech stuff etc.....
Old 08-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
People post complaints, but rarely praise. A form of revenge and retaliation I guess. But since Montana is the number 1 selling 5th wheel for 11 straight years and Keystone also sells more towable RVs than other brands you would expect to see more complaints against them.

I know some here have had problems with their rigs. But ours has been as near troublefree as I could ever possibly hope for.

But problems are not limited to Keystone. Just for grins I googled forest river rv complaints and at the top of the list was "224 complaints against forest river". More listings below that. And if you google other brands you get similar results.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If they don't like Keystone, no problem, buy something else next time. Who cares?
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:03 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

If they don't like Keystone, no problem, buy something else next time. Who cares?
Roger that!!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There were a couple of real bad Montana Bashers over on Rv net both of which got ejected from this forum and both of which I know. One in particular had no more problems with his Montana than many of us had with theirs but did not receive the satisfaction from Keystone customer service most of which was his fault. he had also been ejected from RV net several times but would come back with a new screen name. he could not hide from those of us who knew him.

These Montana's have problems and my feelings about build quality are well known. One of the objectives of this forum should be to report all issues we have large and small and the action taken to correct them. We should be trying to help one another.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #14
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
i had minor problems when i bought my Montana some where fix other they thought they had fix but didn't most of the problem are the dealer where you take your Montana and do warranty work how reliable the workmanship are the repair they thought they fix and didn't i did it myself would have cost me more money to take the montana back to the dealer than me buying and installing the part myself but i have read a lot about keystone passing the buck to part manufacturers and then the manufacturer passing the buck back to keystone and you're stuck in the middle
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That we had a problem and corrected it ourselves is fine we all do that but we should state what the problem was and how we fixed it. That is helping one another.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As stated earlier, the manufacturer with the most units on the road is likely to have the most complaints. That's the way it is and make sense. Just because a high line 5th wheel has very few complaints doesn't mean it's better than ours, just means there are very few on the road, thus very few complaints.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
I had trouble with one of the light units hanging over the island counter - it came apart in pieces and dropped to the floor. Trailer was 15 months old. Keystone said it was out of warranty - tuff luck. The service tech at the dealer gave me the manufacturer name and part number. I called them only to find out they have 24 months warranty on all their units. But since they sold to Keystone - Keystone had to report the claim and ask for replacement. Three calls to Keystone and two trips to the dealership service department finally got the paper work from Keystone to light company. The customer service representative from the light company even called me and asked if I wanted the new light unit shipped to me or the dealership. I installed it myself. Didn't want the trailer out of service for six weeks to get the light installed at the dealership.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote