Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Montana build ticket?

Hi

Here are some pictures I made today while repairing some poor wiring to the TV in the rear of the trailer.

Several years ago about 3 when I was hooking up the satellite receiver I had called Keystone Costumer disservice and requested them to look at the build document for my trailer and tell me where the “loop” wire in the TV wiring was located.

They told me that that was an option that my trailer was not built with.

So I removed that heavy bedroom TV and replaced it with a flat screen. This left the area behind the bedroom TV clear so I could rout coax cable from the receiver to the back of the switch unit for the TV antenna booster.

;;
;

I then put a shelf under the TV and inside the washer drier cabinet to put the satellite receiver on. You can see the blue light on the front of the satellite receiver.

;

This work well until a few weeks ago when we started having problems with picture quality of the rear TV. I found last week while we were in Dundee that by wiggling the wires behind the rear TV that I could improve the picture.

Well when I removed the fire place to get to the wiring for the TV and guess what I found hidden behind it where it couldn’t be seen or used without removing the fire place. You guessed it the “loop” wire in the TV antenna circuit.

;

I would say this kind of shoots the idea that Keystone keeps comprehensive records on the construction of their units.

So I used a fox and hound device and found that the wire from the convenience center marked Cable / Satellite goes from the convenience center to the rear of the trailer, thru the “loop” and all the way back to the front bedroom to connect to the antenna booster switch then all the way back to the back of the trailer to the TV.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a build ticket with each Rv on the assembly line. It usually is attached to the pin box or nearby. It will list the Model number, dealer it is being built for and the options that are "supposed" to be installed. I have seen many of them over the years. Don't know where that build ticket goes or if anyone checks to see if the ticket reflects what comes off the line but there is a build ticket.

Any how they have a record of each model built so it must be around or filed somewhere.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

There is a build ticket with each Rv on the assembly line. It usually is attached to the pin box or nearby. It will list the Model number, dealer it is being built for and the options that are "supposed" to be installed. I have seen many of them over the years. Don't know where that build ticket goes or if anyone checks to see if the ticket reflects what comes off the line but there is a build ticket.

Any how they have a record of each model built so it must be around or filed somewhere.
What good is it if it isn’t accurate?

The key word to my statement is “comprehensive”.

Like a life raft that doesn’t hold air. Gives you a warm fuzzy felling but that’s all.

Phil P
Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Interesting that ours is a year later and has the same rear arrangement that looks exactly like your photo (including the printer!). Anyway, I found our loop while trying to figure out why there was no radio antenna hooked to the home theater system (they never hooked one up altho the system came with one - still in its bag). I didn't know how the antenna or cable signal was routed though.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If they were all actually built even similar Keystone could provide a wiring diagram.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
LOL (only a little), you guys are scaring me again! Good choice, bad choice, the choice is make and I'll have to deal with whatever arrives next week. I bet I'll have a similar config on the new 2014 3100 that arrives next week. I'll add this to my list of items to check.

Nice detective work!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We like this trailer a lot. Now that we have spent the money to repair the damage done by the lack of Keystone finishing the trailer in the first place I have started doing some modifications.

The interesting thing about this trailer is the lack of a lot of the problems reported on this forum. Instead I had problems caused by things that were just not done on the assembly line.

When this trailer was still less than 2 years old I had a chance to look over the same model built within a very few months of ours and you would not believe it came from the same manufacturer. Then I looked at one that was also very near the production date of ours and they had all of the same problems I had but their selling dealer had repaired them. I am talking about things like replacing the end walls in the big slide because they were assembled with the wrong fasteners etc.

Because of a remark made by one on the technicians at Camping World in Robertsdale Alabama about their shop being a “completions center” not a sales center makes it pretty clear that Keystone depends on the selling dealer to finish building the trailer. My selling dealer didn’t have a technician able to use a VOM or change a tire without leaning the jack handle against the side of the trailed and damaging it.

Phil P
Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

Interesting that ours is a year later and has the same rear arrangement that looks exactly like your photo (including the printer!). Anyway, I found our loop while trying to figure out why there was no radio antenna hooked to the home theater system (they never hooked one up altho the system came with one - still in its bag). I didn't know how the antenna or cable signal was routed though.
Hi

Our radio antenna is leaning against the cabinet wall just to the right of the bundle of wires you see in the picture next to the one of the fire place and TV. At least it was hooked up. LOL

Phil P
Old 03-01-2014, 02:45 AM   #9
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Nice job Phil P, and you found the Easter Egg!

When we were shopping for our current rv, there were so many differences in hardware, lights, switches and some décor styles not just the fabric choices but the closet door in the bedroom would be a plain mirror or a framed in mirror, and the entertainment center would have a desk or no desk and any combo of the two and this was just on 2013-2014 3402rl.

It was almost like, use these parts until we run out and then start to use the new parts. It's no wonder they can't keep an accurate build list.
Scott

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote