Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Reducing weight on your camper

After reading the articles on overweight vehicles and the liability of being overweight I have the following questsion: What do you do to keep the weight down on your camper while traveling the roadways?

Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I try to not take along anything that I will not use. Like extra reclining chairs.
Also carry only the fresh water I need to the next stop as well as empty holding tanks.
If the bikes will not be used they stay at home.
It seems to take an effort to keep those inside cabinets cleaned out.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We weigh it most every year at a rally. We have this problem... The truck loaded and ready to tow weighs @ 9,000 lbs .The 3400 has a GVWR of 15,500lbs. That equals 24,715 lbs if at max. Our truck is rated at 23,500lbs so we need to keep below that, Not much we can throw out of the truck besides Helen (we did take out @200 lbs of..junk) We tossed a lot of stuff from the 3400 including over 150lbs of tools.At the last weigh we were 9,000lbs truck ready to tow and 3400 13,800lbs = 22,800.
Everything within specs..... It is a struggle but a necessary one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
If we don't need it, it stays at home; if we did not use it the last trip, it stays at home; and we do not travel with anything (except a couple gallons of water in the black tank) in the holding tanks.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

If we don't need it, it stays at home; if we did not use it the last trip, it stays at home; and we do not travel with anything (except a couple gallons of water in the black tank) in the holding tanks.
That is exactly what we do too! I addition, we usually put about five gallons in the fresh water tank.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I got some good advice from an old RVer...he said once a year take EVERYTHING out of the storage areas. If you haven't used it since the last time you took everything out...leave it out.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We weigh it most every year at a rally. We have this problem... The truck loaded and ready to tow weighs @ 9,000 lbs .
9,000 lbs!?? If you took off your snowplow, it wouldn't weigh so much!! LOL
And I thought my truck was heavy at 8,000 fully loaded (family and fuel)!
Gonna get some weights on my new H.C. and truck next week to see where I'm at. Then start loading it up with lightweight dishes and all the other stuff for our first outing.
Sounds like the best way to keep the weight down would be just the obvious...don't carry around too much unnecessary "stuff"!

Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Good topic with the high fuel prices, tire, u-bolt and flex-frame problems members have seen. Things we have been doing are paper plates, less stock of can goods, less bottle water, lighter cookware. We gave the fold out bed away years ago, with the Montana recliners, bought two lighter Lazy Boys. Out with the tube TV in with the LCD. Weeded out tools try to travel with no water in tanks we carry little bit of water in bathroom to use as needed. Just carry one 30# LP bottle as that will last all summer cooking needs and can get it filled any time we need more. I need to find a way to carry less wood to support front legs and screw jacks that we use to set up for our longer stays.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I like the advice about stocking the pantry with the minimum. Try and buy for the number of days you are staying that way at the site and don't shop early and carry the weight to your destination. I also don't tow with anything in the gray and black tanks.

One other thing I found is that I had some redundancies because I kept some things in the rig and the same things in the storage units. Every little bit of removal helps.

My TV is at about 8,400 when loaded and ready to tow, but it will get higher when I install the front receiver to carry bicycles. I know there are other ways, but after extensive checking and comparing it's the one that will work best for us. Bicycles are the only things we've left behind on most outings.

It's only the two of us and we still left over cargo capacity for guests and their stuff.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We weigh it most every year at a rally. We have this problem... The truck loaded and ready to tow weighs @ 9,000 lbs .
9,000 lbs!?? If you took off your snowplow, it wouldn't weigh so much!! LOL
And I thought my truck was heavy at 8,000 fully loaded (family and fuel)!
Gonna get some weights on my new H.C. and truck next week to see where I'm at. Then start loading it up with lightweight dishes and all the other stuff for our first outing.
Sounds like the best way to keep the weight down would be just the obvious...don't carry around too much unnecessary "stuff"!

These Fords are heavy. Far heavier than the others. We have the snow plow package that gives heavier springs on the front but no snowplow.

We did reduce weight some by removing "stuff" that we never used. Hopefully we will under 9K at the next weigh in.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We have the same weight problems when we day-trip in the car.
Sue likes to have a change of clothes, and a few spare things just in case.....

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #12
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Is it only Sue that packs a few spare things?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

We have the same weight problems when we day-trip in the car.
Sue likes to have a change of clothes, and a few spare things just in case.....

What a great pic Jim!!!!!! Women and their accessories!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Hey maybe I could get out and walk beside the truck. NAW Susie won't drive it. LOL. Besides the woman packs just like that pic even if we are going somewhere in the car!!! HeHeHe.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote