Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Electrical Help PLZ

I've changed out ceiling lights b4, and other electrical troubleshooting. Can't figure this out!!

Here's the situation:

Took down a ceiling light (12vdc) for replacement. The switch on it was going out. It had 3 bulbs. Removed light. Measured voltage across black and white wire - 12vdc. This particular light had 2 white wires coming out of each light; two blacks coming out of the switch.

Bought a new light. This light, however, only had 1 black wire coming out of each light (3 lights), and 2 coming out of the push switch. 1st, I can't figure out how to connect the black/white wiring in the RV to only the 1 wire coming out of each light bulb.

Now it really gets weird. I tried reinstalling the previous light, not working. I took the switch out of the loop and directly wired the white/black source wires to each of the white wires on 1 light bulb - no luck. Checked voltage - 12vdc OK.

Any suggestions? Anyone have a visual schematic for DC wiring? I figure I'm screwing up somewhere; just no clue where. Also, I've checked the fuses - no problem. I know since I have power to the lights, fuses are OK; just checked cause I'm stumped.

HELP!!!

bob

bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I assume the wall switch is on?
Hard to visualize why there would be so many separate wires. I would have expected a light fixture to have only two wires to connect to the source wires.
How was the original fixture connected to the two source wires?
Pictures of both fixtures wires maybe?
As an initial test, touch the source wires directly to the pins on a light bulb (not the fixture, just a bulb in your hand) to insure it will light the bulb. In certain rare cases, it is possible to measure 12 volts on a circuit with a meter (with very high impedance), but that circuit not be able to light a bulb (due to very weak connection somewhere).
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
No wall switch. I tried touching the source wires directly to the bulb(s), would not light. I have one other light that went out while messing with this last night. It shows voltage also, won't light though. No other lights/other 12v loads on circuit that I can find.

Has me baffled.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
First, the new fixture. I suspect the bulbs have a single contact on the base, and the shell is the other contact. That means that the socket is the other contact, and it is probably connected to the fixture. To hook it up, if this is actually the case, connect the hot (positive) wire to one side of the switch, the other side of the switch to the three wires from the bulbs, and the ground (negative) wire to the fixture.

If your multimeter checks resistance, check each old bulb to see if they are good, and (as Bill says, it could be the fuse) pull the fuse and check its resistance. As a last resort, take a light bulb out of one of the other fixtures after you've checked to make sure it works, and try that at the old fixture.

That should pretty much isolate the problem.

Good luck.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Found it!! Apparently, I had a bad 15A fuse. It still allowed voltage to pass, but wouldn't let amperage pass. The weird thing is I had pulled that fuse twice before to no avail; and the circuit still showed voltage to the light. I was just about to do it again, when the little red LED lit showing a bad fuse (it wasn't lit previously). REplaced it and voila!!

Even had the manufacturer's electrician going. Spoke to him twice, to no avail.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
That's exactly the situation Bill was warning you about. Glad you found it.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote