Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
IOTA RLS-75 ARRRRGH!

Here we sit in sunny upstate New York freezing our butts off. At about 8:30 this evening the main breaker on the pedestal kicked off, so we shut off the fireplace off and threw the breaker back on. I noticed that the 12 volt lights were getting dim so I checked the converter breaker and sure enough it had kicked off. As soon as I reset it the main kicked off again. I repeated this process twice more then unplugged the converter. Reset all the breakers and plugged the converter back in. POP went the breaker again. I unplugged the converter again and reset all the breakers. Then I disconnected the 12 volt wires from the converter and taped them heavily and took the unit over to Johns rig where we could look at the converter in decent light. We read a dead short across the plug. So in the morning I will call IOTA and see what they have to say. I am plugged into the truck for the evening and will run the heat from the fireplace and a small ceramic heater. There is a Campers World near by so that is another option if IOTA can't help. There is a two year warranty on it and we are right at the end of that period. Kind of a bummer as the furnace runs off 12 volt as does the fridge so it may be a tight thing...Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you have a battery charger available, that can be used as a temporary replacement for the converter until you get it fixed properly.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I should be able to find a charger for a day or two, but the next question is: Which is better, IOTA or Inteli-Power? CW has the Inteli-power in stock... Dave
Old 10-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
When my converter died after 16 months I took it out and down to the nearest CW in Wilsonville, OR. They charged me a $40 to check it out to see if it was bad. You could smell the burnt wires and all they had to do was plug it in and pop it would throw the breaker. However if I brought my Montana in (60 miles round trip) the warranty would cover all the charges. So I paid the $40 fee and the $50 deductible and they handed me a new inverter. I think it is a better one. It is supposed ot be the "smart" one. It has been working fine.
Good luck and hope you get it resolved soon.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Dave, when our converter went out we ran on a battery charger for two weeks.
It was a pain, but better than nothing.
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
when mine popped the breaker I pulled it and looked inside and there was saw dust on the inside that had eventually shorted it out, guess it got there from the build and it does sit under the step!? just a guess, I did get a new one from Keystone, had to pay the shipping, dealer way too far away. I did use a charger till i got the new one, worked great
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Well, IOTA came through and is over nighting me a brand new converter. SWEET!!! I am going to order the IQ-4 charge monitor today also so I can keep an eye on the unit... Dave
Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Glad IOTA came through for you! Another project for you and John?!!! Getting the IQ-4 is a bit like closing the gate after the horse got out?! kidding.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Chris, LOL, I want to keep an eye on the battery. I don't think I should have to keep an eye on the new converter but I will. John is over at his sister's house working on her Apple. It has spit out it's core or seeds or some such, whatever Apples do...Dave
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Dave, We had the same experience with Iota customer support. The unit was either out of warranty or very close to going out of warranty. That was not their main concern, it was getting me back in service. Like you, they overnighted me the new converter. Talk about great customer service.
Jim C.