Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
What a Bone Head!!!

First the good news we have a new commode and it works great, now for the bone head part after pulling the old commode and getting everything ready for the new commode I stuck a rag in the sewer pipe to keep odors from coming up (see where this is going yet)? well I thought I would first just set the toilet over the flange and see how things lined up before tightening everything up well you guessed it, it fit beautifully so I bolted it all down turned on the water did some test flushes and all is good well the rag is no where to be found and the only thing coming out of my tank in my clear drain connector is a small amount of water at a time. When I close the valve and leave it for awhile and come back to open it quite a bit of water will drain so the rag is stuck somewhere behind the valve any ideas what to try? I am going to try running a small drain snake down the line after pulling the commode to see if I can hook the rag and then I might try a blow out plug on the line if that does not work. I have a 3670RL if that helps in the discusion. Would it help to go from the sewer connection end back up towards the tank and hope everything does not break loose while not connected? I guess that I could just say the cows made a mess This may take more humor than I can muster.

mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
Try an electricians fish tape with a hook on it from the drain valve end--be sure that it does not have a large hook on it as it could get hooked on something coming out--be gentle--and yes you may get a little stuff on your hands and arms but thats better than the stoppage--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I am hereby making a pledge not to make any smart aleck comments that this story is just begging for. But I am going to check back from time to time see who couldn't resist.

BTW: you might want to pull the commode again and see if you can find the rag by using a mirror and flashlight. If you can see it, a coat hanger might work for retrieval.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
What about renting a flexible scope that plumbers use to view into the tank to get some idea where to start with a retrieval tool. I think they are a fiber optic scope and can usually be rented from an equipment rental place....They might even have a long retrieval tool. I have seen the flexible ones before. You might want to undo the connection in the basement, if that's where your lines run, and start from there. Good luck, I think going from the outlet UP the tank into the trailer just may not be the way to go, unless you can see the rag with a scope....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
turley
Established Member

M.O.C. #8163
I did that same basic thing in my last montana....I just cut the 3 inch drain pipe coming from the comode ( had to cut out a 3 inch piece also)...fished the bad boy out...glued back a small 3 inch pipe with a coupling and then used a rubber 3 inch piece with raditor screwcouplings to put it all back togather....can't remember right now the official term for the rubber fitting, but did buy at lowes
turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Thanks for the ideas. Thanks Tom S. for resisting I may just go ahead and put up some that I can think of myself.
mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
turley, I believe you're refering to a fernco fitting. mperk, I'm just throwing this out there. Do you think some compressed air, at 3-4 psi, would work. I wouldn't want to put too much pressure in that tank, but it might work. I work for a co. that installs petroleum tanks in the ground, and when testing for leaks, we use less than 5 psi. Jim
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If it was cotton rag, one of the stronger acid based drain cleaners may break it down. If it was polyester or other synthetic, it may not work, but it is still worth a try.

Another idea, get your gray tank full, then (with the drain cap in place) open both valves, the sudden inrush of water may dislodge the rag, and then the volume of water in the black tank will help flush it out. Careful application of compressed air may help too.

Good luck!

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Official term for 3 inch band - No hub band at lowe's per HoboBob!

From my retired service call plumber husband...he would fill tank with hose and hoepfully it will flush out. If that did not work after a couple of times then...??
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mperk

Thanks for the ideas. Thanks Tom S. for resisting I may just go ahead and put up some that I can think of myself.
I can readily find humor in this because it sounds so much like something I would do.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
OntMont's suggestion, or a variation of it did the trick for me. We had our black water tank completely full & plugged. Filled the sewer drain hose about 2/3 full of water by holding the drain end (the one that connects to the ground sewer connection) up above the valve height. We then opened the black water tank valve & pumped the water filled drain hose up & down & it pushed the blockage back & allowed the tank to drain. If your rag is bunched up this might allow it to spread & come out. Be sure you have someone holding your sewer drain hose connection tight where it connects to your trailer or it might come loose with the pumping action (like mine did - if so it will show you how fast you can move if you really have to).
mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Sounds like a real crappy problem!!! Sorry could'nt resist...I have a sickness!
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Paul said that puting a lot of ice in about a half a tank of water may work. The ice might collect on the rag and help to push it out when the valve is opened. It may be enough to at least bring the rag to the sewer "tube" and when the ice melts maybe it can be washed out.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote