Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Water Pump Shooting Out City Fill UPDATE

Anybody experienced this? When we turn on the water pump the water pours out of the city water fill connection. Sorta cuts down on the boondocking opportunities. Any suggestions are appreciated.

First of all, thanks for all the suggestions. All good ones, each and every one. Kerry get the prize! The O-ring was blown out and became lodged in the spring due to Bob pushing on it while trying to determine the cause of the problem in the first place. We replaced the entire unit and all seems to be well. So far, so good anyway.

bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The check valve may be built into the city fill connection, if not look around the water pump.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Skip, there is a check valve built in, but it doesn't seem to be "checking" anything. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

Skip, there is a check valve built in, but it doesn't seem to be "checking" anything. Any other suggestions?
You can pick up one of those ball valves from a hardware store or wally world with the hose connectors on each end for a temporary fix.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Can you alternate applying pressure via the pump and city to work the valve back and forth? There may be some grit or other debris in there. other than that I suppose you'll have to replace it.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Your check valve was damaged probably when winterizing. Same thing happened with our previous rig. You can install a new inlet or just cap it off as we did.
Judi Nye
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
For a temporary fix you can use a blow out plug. At least on my 2002 you had to replace the entire receptacle and it wasn't cheap. $54 about three years ago if I remember correctly
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is this the first time using the water pump? Is it possible to plumb it backwards or connect the electrical wires so the pump runs backwards?

You don't mention if any water is coming out normally and you mention the water is pouring out of the fill connection and nowhere else. I wouldn't block the water from spewing out until you find the root cause (check valve for example) or else you could end up with a water pressure-based explosion of a plumbed line or the tank.

Otherwise it sounds like the others have covered other possibilities.

I have had my rig for 3 years and only used the water pump briefly just twice so I really have no idea how reliable mine would work.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

Anybody experienced this? When we turn on the water pump the water pours out of the city water fill connection. Sorta cuts down on the boondocking opportunities. Any suggestions are appreciated.
There's a check valve in the city water input to prevent the pump from doing what you say it's doing. These valves do go bad. I don't know how you replace it, maybe someone else can fill us in.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 AM   #10
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I replaced the city water inlet once. Purchased a new inlet valve (check valve is built in) Disconnected the water line and then removed the inlet and then reversed the process for install.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Have you checked that the valve in the convenience center is set to Normal, and not in the Power Fill position? Not sure if that would make the pump shoot water out of the City Water inlet or not, it's just a thought.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Mine did the same thing this past April in Billings,Mt. Bought a new combo city& tank fill box. Come to find out later that the check valve which is right at city bib connection was off seated. Pushed in with finger and it reseated itself. No problems since. Have $65. part in case it does final if ever goes bad.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #13
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
Mine crapped out, so I went to Home Depot and bought a 6" hose extension that had a built in cutoff. Now I can keep the water door closed and just screw into the extension and close the extension when using the pump. No water leaks out then.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
If the check valve is the same as was in my motor home it has an o-ring seal. If you push in on the valve to drain when winterizing it has a tendency to pull off the valve and you get the gushing city connection you are experiencing. I used a cap purchased at an RV dealer. Seemed a bit more economical that replacing the connection.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Pam & Bob,to check the check valve, turn the pump off, open a faucet to relieve the pressure on the lines. Go out to the the city water hookup, and push in on the little tip in the center. It should push in easy and spring in and out easy. If it does, try the pump again and see if it works. DO NOT PUSH IN ON THE CHECK VALVE WITH PRESSURE ON THE LINES, it will blow the O-ring out of the check valve. If you do blow it out, and find the O-ring, it can be put back in. If the check valve does not spring in and out, something has happened to the spring or O-ring. I know how to repair the check valve if it is broke. Let me know and I'll call you guys. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:39 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yup. happened to us the first time we boon-docked in our Big Sky.** We were in Padre's back yard and watered his plants good during the night.*** Dealer in Albuquerque put in a new check valve but it happened again so we put in a y-connector with a shut off valve on until we get back to our dealer in Florida or Goshen this fall.
Bill and Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #17
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
First of all, thanks for all the suggestions. All good ones, each and every one. Kerry get the prize! The O-ring was blown out and became lodged in the spring due to Bob pushing on it while trying to determine the cause of the problem in the first place. We replaced the entire unit and all seems to be well. So far, so good anyway.