Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
Water Heater will Not stay ignited

Have a Suburban Model SW10DE Unit will Ignite and burn for about 10-15 seconds then go out will do this about two or three time then lock-out... Have a great looking burn when it comes on. We are in in Alaska and have electric right now but will not soon. We are about 200 miles from any dealer. Can anyone help me on this problem ????? Help !
Thanks much Jerry S Smith

Jerry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Having just worked on the Suburban SW10DE just recently maybe I can make some suggestions. When you turn on the inside switch it will try to start the gas water heater three times and then shut down. To re-start this cycle you need to turn off the inside switch for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on and it will go through the three tries again. So so far this is working properly. However, if you are also running it on electric heating the water may be hot enough that it doesn't need the gas flame to heat it more. So it locks out. So to really test this is to leave the inside gas switch off for awheil and also turn off the black toggle switch(on the bottom front of the water heater behind the water heater cover) that turns on the electric heating side of the water heater. The let the water cool off or run the hot wter faucet for a period of time until the water in the waer heater tank cools off significantly. Then turn on the inside electrical switch that turns on the gas side of the water heater. I suspect that it will then work the way it is supposed to. Now if that doesn't work, try resetting one or both of the two reset buttons covered by a black runbber membrane on the front of the water heater that is the 12V high temp limit thermostat. To reset these the water temperature must be under 110 degrees F. One is a thermostat hi-liit for gas operation, the othr is for the gas system. The key before you do any more testing or resetting the buttons is to turn off the 120V side of the water heater and let the water cool below 110 degrees F before you try heating with gas again.

Then if none of these solves the problem you will need to check if you are getting an adequate gas pressure to the water heater. There is a possibility that you may have changed tanks recently and allot of air is in the lines to the water heater and it may take a few cycles of the gas side starting cycle to clear the air out. I have found though that if you run the burners on the stove for awhile before trying to start the gas side of the water heater it will usually light during the first three tries. But if not, turn the inside switch off for 10 seconds and try again. This starts the three starting tries over again. I suppose it is possible that you have a lockout on the gas lines due to a sudden pressure change by changing tanks and turning them on too fast. to test for this problem, turn both tanks off and wait 5 minutes. then turn on each tank very slowly and then check to see if you are getting a clear green indication on the auto switchover regulator indicator. If either or both lever positions show red then the overflow lockout valves have locked out or are limiting the gas flow to a much lower pressure level. A way to check to see if the gas pressure is being limited try lighting the three gas burners and if they light then light the furnace. If the furnace lights properly w/o a reduction in the three stove burners flame height then a lockout has not occurred. To learn more about these lockout issues check and read the application info at:

http://www.shleggitt.com/edlees/

I suspect one of the above checks and corrections will get you going! If not provide further info on what the symptoms are.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Where in Alaska are you? We lived in Southeast Alaska for 22 years......It's beautiful up there.
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
Thanks for ALL the suggestions and beleave me I have tried them ALL !!! We are in Denali working for the summer... A great retirement summer job for my wife and I. She is working for the gifr shop and I am driving a bus at the park.

Thanks for the advice if you come up with something else please advise.
Jerry & Shirley Smith... from Kansas
Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
On the way to Fairbanks this morning will check back when we return..
Jerry
Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Check the thermocouple first. That's the most likely cause for what you describe.

Check the burner tube for debris and the orafice for an obstruction. (like a tiny little spider web) This would keep the thermocouple from reaching a high enough temp.

Check the thermostats. When I tested mine I used a test lead to make the connection across the terminals and then re-started the WH. Any RV supply will have a replacement set.

Are you pressing the reset buttons on the WH as shown in the manual.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
Yes to all... Fixed it today..
Thanks jerry
Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
I went to Fairbanks today and purchased a $19.00 Electrode returned to Denali and installed... It worked Great ! Was a lot better than the $140.00 Circuit Board ! That is what I would have done next!
Thanks for the help. Maybe I can be of help to someone else.
Cheers
Jerry
Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We live in Seward on the Kenai Peninsula. Are you coming down our way?
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Jerry Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #8987
We plan on going to Best Buy in Anchorage Next Tuesday or Wednesday if possible.. Shirley is working at the Gift Shop at the Village and I am driving a Bus and that is our next days off. Do you have a Montana? Would love to meet y'all.. Cell phone is 316.772.7386
AT&T

Thanks again
jerry
Old 06-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We do have a Montana. We lived in it fulltime for a bit over a year. My husband is in Anchorage now for work, but will be back home tonight. Then we are heading up on Friday to celebrate our anniversary. Will try to give you a call over the weekend. We would love to meet another MOC member!
Tammy

on edit: Claiming Carol's (Mrs. Countryguy) statement, sorry about the thread drift, but we don't get too many folks up here in Alaska from the MOC. So I had to jump in and say hi!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Glad you got it fixed Jerry. Nice to see you on the forum. Say Hey to Shirley for us
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote