Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
EZ PASS

E-Z Pass is a system of electronic toll collection that allows you to proceed through toll facilities without stopping. It virtually eliminates lines and waiting. Other than the fact that you have to tie up about $25.00 of your money I see no downside. My wife and I each have one on one account. I think you can have up to five.
E-Z Pass works from Maine to West Va and as far West as Illinois but NOT Ohio, on MOST toll roads and bridges. Some states used to exclude trailers but the only one that does now I think is the New York State Thruway. Many states have high speed lanes and it is nice to go through a toll booth at 65MPH . Go to http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/facilities.shtml. That is on the NJ web site but there is map and links to other states. I live in Maine but I have had the account in NJ since long before Maine was a participant. NJ charges $1.00 per month to participate and you get the transponder for free. I think Maine has you buy the transponder for $25 and they are only good for 24-36 months. I funded my account with $25.00 and they debit my credit card whenever it gets down to $5.00. There is a lot more information on the various web sites. I might add,a every once in a while I go through a toll both hauling and the booth records me as a single vehicle. On balance I think it more than pays for the service.

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks David

I know they use something like this around Dallas, I thought it was called the same thing????

Al and I rarely travel toll roads, lets qualify that, at this point, we rarely travel them.

I was totally unaware that you could use them in other states. Learn something new every day!

Thanks.

On edit: URL in that form does not work.

But, this did, http://www.ezpass.com/
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CmdrDewey

I might add,a every once in a while I go through a toll both hauling and the booth records me as a single vehicle. On balance I think it more than pays for the service.
If you use the New York State Thruway, while towing with an E-Z Pass, you are required to have a "Special" E-Z Pass to use the automated toll booths (It is issued for the tow vehicle, with the class of trailer that you will tow), I have 2 E-Z Passes for my truck, the regular vehicle transponder (white in color) for regular rates, and a towing transponder (blue in color) that is setup to be charged for towing my Fifth Wheel, when using the Thruway I have to switch the transponders depending on whether I'm towing, or not. You can still use your E-Z Pass account to pay for the tolls even if you don't have the "Towing" transponder,you just go through one of the manned toll booths while entering the the Thruway, and they will code your entry so that you are charged for the towing rate. If you attempt to go through without the proper transponder, or entry coding they will record your plate number, and record you in violation. When they first issued these towing transponders, you were given a discount on the tolls, not any more, my advice is to NEVER use the NYS Thruway for travel (especially while towing), the rates are OUTRAGEOUS a fifth wheel towed by a pickup is charged as 4H (4 axles "High Vehicle"), several weeks ago I went 45 miles on the thruway with the 5er in tow, Cost for one way: $6.40

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Although not the same thing here in Florida we had the Sun Pass. You can use it on any state toll road and even some state parks. Problem with toll roads in Florida they have toll booths on the hiway every so many miles and the tolls ain't at all cheap. We could travel 50 miles on the PA Turnpike for what 20 miles cost in Florida.
Two years ago using the Sun Pass we passed thru 4 different toll booths on the Veterans Hiway with Monty in tow. Lorraine looked up the trip on the Internet and found they actually missed the trailer twice and these were not hi speed booths but rather 25MPH.

BTW Thanks jpbcny for pointing out the cost on the NYS Thruway. I was going to ask that question in a week or so in preparation for our trip to and from the MOC NE Rally. Guess who will be finding an alternate route.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We have had EZ Pass here in NJ for both car and truck for years. As stated previously, used to get a discounted rate. No more. Now we pay $1.00 a month for each. Still worth the cost.

There are special EZ Pass rates for people who commute across a bridge to Phila or Wilmington, De. If they don't use it so many times a month, it reverts to the full cost of the bridge toll.

In the Houston, TX area they have Easy Tag. Sure wish there was one system nationwide. Maybe someday. Right now we use our EZ Pass all over the northeast/midatlantic states.

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Wow! Thanks, David. We have an I-Pass for Illinois (daughter lives near Chicago). I just checked and it works on any EZ Pass road as well. We don't take a lot of toll roads, but it sure helps to have the I-Pass when we do. In Illinois is also saves money as the toll is about half of what you have to pay without one. Really appreciate the information.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Thanks David

I know they use something like this around Dallas, I thought it was called the same thing????
In Dallas it is called a "Toll Tag".

Like the EZ pass I have to use 1 for when I am not towing a trailer and then a different one when I am towing.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Sure glad I live out West where they haven't found out about toll roads.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Enjoy it while you can. As money continues to be tight I am sure other states will start thinking along the same lines. Texas Governor Rick Perry is convinced that Toll Roads are the future for funding road projects. If Texas would start using the fuel taxes for roads as there were intended and not put the funds in to the general fund, the roads would be funded .......
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You can blame Pennsylvania for all the toll roads.
On October 1 1940 the first super hiway toll road opened. This toll road was called the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Here is a video of the history of the Pa Turnpike

By law the Pa Turnpike must be totally self sustaining. This meant it had to pay for itself and it has been from the beginning.

BUT, there are many times I have driven the turnpike and wandered where the money was spent as it was loaded with pot holes. Over the years a lot of this has changed and the roadway has improved considerably. For years, during my truck driving days, I drove the turnpike from one end to the other many many times and if there is one thing I remember it was being able to travel the turnpike in the worst winter conditions and not concern myself with a lot of snow and ice. The Turnpike Commission had a clear hiway policy and they worked very hard to keep it that way.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Note....Ohio is tooling up for the EZ pass system. Not in operation yet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
In Calif we have a pass system that gets you over bridges quicker, special lanes on some Freeways and quicker access through toll roads. See we do have them out West. They were great at first, then they started charging like $20 per month if you didn't use that much. Needless to say, I turned my in as I was only using it several times per month. We also got on a Con list trying to charge us for using the speed lane with no transponder. We wrote back saying we felt it was a Con and never heard from them again.
Happy Trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #13
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quick follow up. Yesterday on the news there was a piece on this very subject of different tags to be used when pulling a trailer. The NTTA (North Texas Turnpike Authority) just put loops in to count axles at the toll plazas. The 2 tag system was a "Honor System". After 1 month of using the loops to count axles they found that people were not so honest and that they were missing $200k in revenue a month. The loops only cost $70k to install. No more "Honor System" or need for multiple tags now.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

In Dallas it is called a "Toll Tag".

Like the EZ pass I have to use 1 for when I am not towing a trailer and then a different one when I am towing.