Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
brakes

has anyone upgraded to disc brakes, and did the install yourself? i hate to pay for things i can do myself.
after the changeover is there a marked improvement.

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe Trailer Life did an article on the conversion. No, I have not done it. If you are mechanically inclined, able to run and bend brake lines [s] copper tubing[/s] (tks for correction - dieselguy), not afraid to remove the underbelly to gain access and can wire into the current electrical brake system you should be ok. You can check with Dexter, I believe their system can bolt onto your existing axle. Some brake controllers do not work with electrical over Hydraulic.
The article I read had laudatory complements about disk brakes over drum. I believe someone on the forum has done it.
Let us know what you do.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
mechanical i am. i was reading about the system on the mor-ryde site. it looks and sounds like it's quite do-able or the non-professional. it's not going to happen during camping season. that's straight from the season planner, my wife. so i'll study all about it, ask alot of questions of all the right people, save some money and have at it.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
swanny, I had my axles removed and the MorRyde independent suspension installed at Goshen. They also installed the disc brakes and never lube hubs. I, obviously, did not do all this myself but the addition of disc brakes does truly make quite a difference. One thing though was the built in brake controller of the GM truck would not operate the disc brakes, voltage difference, I believe, so we added a Prodigy brake controller to the mix. Works great now!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
No doubt disk brakes have more stopping power, but for $2000 - $2500 plus hardware I think I'll just up my Prodigy readout a couple of numbers. LOL
PS ... there was a reference to running copper tubing ... I hope that was just referencing the ability to work with tubing in general as brake lines are always steel and double flared.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
your right never ever use copper for brake lines and always double flare.