Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
mjvberg

M.O.C. #8032
Tires hat will not stay inflated

Advice or hints, please! Mostly education for newbies..

I have a 2007 38' 2400RL. My tires have lost pressure graduslly since I bought it. After my trip home from the dealer (60 miles) I discovered my pressures were 60,60,70 and 80 (should have all been 80). I thought it was probably oversight by dealer i.e. not checked. I inflated to 80.

Left on first trip (110 miles each way). returned home. Notived 2 weeks later in my driveway that pressures were 70,70, 75, 80. I inflated to 80. Being a newbie, it didn't raise a flag..

Two trips to Texas in next two years and pressues were OK on the road but lost pressure during 3 months on site. Chaulked it up to sitting.

This winter we decided to stay home for a winter. I inflated to 80 lbs and parked the rig. Three weeeks lattee 2 were almost flat ,all were low. I inflated to 80. Last week two wereflat and one a30 and one at 50.

One tire looks like the side wall has small cracks where stresswd by delated position.

Now.. I will remove tires, take to reputable truck tire deaker and have, tires, valves and wheels checked.. replacing as needed.

Newbies..take note! Stay on top of these things!!!!!

Mike V...

mjvberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The OEM rubber valve stems have proved to be not reliable. Many of us have solved the problem you describe by replacing the stems with quality metal stems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Suggest you also check to see if you are leaking air around the rims. My previous rig had bad rims and I had to have them replaced. Squirt some soapy water around the rims and look for bubbles. If you find your rims are leaking, I suggest you contact keystone and have them help you work with the rim manufacture to get replacements.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Both suggestions above are right on, I had both problems with our Montana. Also do not over look that you may have a nail or something sharp in the tires. Take one to a tire shop and have them check it out. Please let us all know what you find the problem to be.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Don't know what type of wheels you have but I had to replace all my Tredit Aluminum wheels, had cracks in two of them and wouldn't hold air, I replaced them with Alcoa's and never had another problem. But when temps change, tire pressure will also change.

Remember when you air your tires up and hit the road the pressure will increase. I run 110 lbs in my G614's and they will increase 10 + or more lbs when runing at road speed.

If I were you I would replace the valve stems with metal stems and then put about 5 more lbs of air than the tire calls for and put the wheel and tire under water, and check for bubbles. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Cheesy aluminum wheels can leak right through the rim, as mentioned. We used to have to coat aluminum mags with clear paint or glue on the inside to stop this. Valve stems could be real likely as mentioned also.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
leonard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5554
I ended up putting tubes in 2 of my tires. May have to do it in all of them.

Leonard
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #8
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Radials were never really intended for tubes. Be careful doing that. At a minimum put some talcum powder in the tire casing before the tube installation. Otherwise the tube will be compromised from rubbing on the iside of the tire.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right, installing tubes can be done but...should use tubes rated for radial tires, check rim surface is smooth or you may need a liner to prevent scuffing through.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Most all of the above are good suggestions but the absolute fastest, simplest way to find a leak is by totally submersing the tire and wheel assembly.
Mike, if my tires leaked like you are explaining I would not hesitate getting to that reputable tire dealer we keep referring to. They usually have a huge tank where they can submerge the tire and wheel. If there is the smallest leak they will find it and have the proper equipment to repair it.

BTW-I can not think of any reason at all where I would install a tube in a tubeless tire, radial or not. And yes there are tubes designed for radials but I still find it difficult to find any possible reason for them. 99% of the time a leaking tire and wheel assembly can be fixed without the cost of a tube.
AND NEVER EVER EVER USE THAT CRAP LIQUID YOU BUT INTO A TIRE TO STOP A LEAK AND IF FOR SOME REASON YOU DO BESURE TO LET THE TIRE TEC KNOW WHEN YOU FINALLY GO TO HIM TO GET IT REPAIRED PROPERLY. They absolutely hate having that stuff blow into their eyes as they dismount a tire.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 AM   #11
leonard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5554
My tire dealer immersed the tires in water and the beads were leaking all over around the rim. He tried everything but nothing helped. He did put in heavy duty radial tubes.

Leonard
leonard is offline   Reply With Quote