Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #21
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Carol: The Portable Water Softener is a bit pricey but it works GREAT. Had ours for a year now and used it from TN. to CA. I have a filter (blue one from Wal-Mart) before it and a better one afterwards. I use brass quick connectors on every thing. No more spots in the shower.

bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Re the On the Go water softener.

Those that have met me will remember that I wear my hair long and in a pony tail, Reason: I am allergic to color and perms, the last time I had both I had rod burns that bled (EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW) and took weeks to heal. SO, no more coloring and no more perms. SOOO, I wear it long, grow it for 2 years, and then cut off and give to Locks of Love.

The purpose of that long descriptive paragraph is to explain ONE of the reasons I value the water softener so much. I don't want my hair damaged, do not dry it with a hair dryer unless it is so cold out that I have to.

(I also have yorkies, with show coats, aka: LONG HAIR)

When we are in places with hard water, and in the RGV was really the worst, I would wash my hair on Monday AM, Tuesday AM when I would try to comb it out it would feel like I was brushing concrete and I would have a sink full of hair, broken hair.

Same with dogs, when I would try to spiffy them up in between bathes I would end up with handfuls of hair.

So, we got the On the Go. No more broken hair, and even Al can feel the diffference of the soft water. He fought me a bit on this purchase, but first shower with it, he was a convinced soul!

OKKKK, for questions about where we place it, we have older Tana, it does not have the convenience center. We place the softener inline with hoses from camp hookup to Tana's inlet. It sets on the ground.

I believe that Al hooks up a duel type water filter first, then the On the Go, then into Tana.

We leave it sit out beside the rig, and don't even lock it up. Usually we only use it while we are in the RGV for 3 months.

As far as drinking water, the fur kids are on distilled water, per orders of the vet. We use same for our coffee and tea. We use WalleyWorld bottled water, the 20 ounce bottles, with minerals added for general water drinking. I am unable for a variety of health reasons to drink ANY water other than these two kinds. I also do not drink fountain sodas/pop, as they are made with local waters.

As far as the Calgon, if you read the site(s) referred to above you will read that the reason to use Calgon when doing laundry is:

"removing hard water minerals that trap dirt into fabric fibers. It also helps prevent detergent build-up and soap scum that can cause clothing to appear dull and faded."

In our gray, galley and black tanks, we are interested preventing soap scum and build up, and removing hard water minerals that mess up EVERYTHING!

That is why we use the laundry version of Calgon, and nothing else. That said, I am unfamiliar with Calgon for spas. I personally would not use the Calgon for baths, even tho it might "take me away".

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #23
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
At Wally-World, Texas City, TX, today I bought two bottles of Calgon water softener (Laundry liquid) There were about 20 bottles on the shelf in the laundry detergent area.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #24
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
how much do you usually put in the tanks?
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
IF your question is, how much Calgon, then:

We usually put in about 1 capful per tank. Never more than 2 capfuls at a time.

If we are running, then we only have about 3 to 5 gallons water to slosh.

If we are setting, we just leave it sit there till we dump next time. When we are setting, we don't even do this every time. OKK, so I forget to add it, okk!

OHHH, I use the liquid version of Calgon for laundry, not the dry. Cannot help you with dry measurements.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #26
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
I've commented on this before, but I think it has to do with where you are looking for Calgon. If the area has a "soft" water supply (like where I live) the stores won't stock it because there is no demand (and visa-versa). Our Wally World and local supermarkets don't carry it, but if we travel fairly short distances we can find it very readily. If you live in an area that has "hard" water and whole house water softners are the norm, you can probably find it. If "hard" water is not a local issue, you probably can't find it. I agree that a capfull in the black tank (with a little dawn) makes totally clear tank flushings come much quicker with alot less water.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #27
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
I can get the powder Calgon at K Mart. How much do you use?
Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Roadster31

NOT having used the powder, I am gonna go take a wild stab, this is what I would do:

Use whatever it says to use on a normal sized load of laundry. Mix with warm water to disolve BEFORE dumping in toilet, or sinks.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #29
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Most of the folks that posted on here about using Calgon seem to say 2 cups for the initial treatment. That is what I use and it seems to work but you can run through a whole box on one treatment.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #30
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We where camping in Lancaster PA over the weekend and low and behold found the Calgon! It was in the Shady Maple Groc. Store.... Just in case anyone is in that area that is looking for it. $5.00 for 1 quart. I think we will return and pick up a stock supply.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #31
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Drug store .com carries it and has free shipping on your first order over $25. Hopefully you can furnish an address for them to ship to if you decide to order it.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote