Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Update on Montana Tires

Charles Wade, the West coast Keystone Rep, is currently at the spring rally in Tucson. The subject of tires came up and he says: The only reason they went to Goodyear Marathons, Made in China, is so folks have more choices of repair facilities across the US. More Goodyear stores than Mission. He also stated they HAVE to use an ST tire, DOT requirement, and that all ST tires are now made in China, including the Goodyears.

These were his words, so please "Don't kill the messenger!"

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That explains a lot. On the few occasions when I have checked SOB tires, they seem to have similar tires to Montanas. It would be interesting to check one of the high end SOBs and see what they are using. My trailer came with LT tires, and that is what I am sticking with.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not trying to shoot the messenger, but the discussion is now open - I find two flaws in his story:

Our 2003 Monty came factory equipped with LTs. Maybe the laws changed since then.

The Goodyear Gs are factory equipment on some other brands - and they are LT tires designed for trailers - specifically 5th wheel trailers http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html . Seems odd that Goodyear would market a trailer tire that would not meet the DOT requirements for a trailer.

There is truth that there are more Goodyear stores than Mission, now that Missions are no longer manufactured.

I guess if I was to fill in the blanks I would say cost plays as big a factor as the rest. My keystone voucher for replacement of my Mission tire is $80. G series tires are around $225 not inluding a higher quality wheel requirement.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I'm with Brad on this.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lets us not forget that although Charles Wade is a nice enough guy... He is a salesman and he works for Keystone..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I guess I did hear him say the $200+ tires were out of the question.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
The truth is the prophet margin is not big enough for them if they use the $200+ tires.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Went to a small RV show here in Gulf State Park. Did a little tire survey. All of the trailers (from several different manufacturers) that came with Load range D or E tires came with some kind of Chinese ST tire, mostly Goodyear Marathons. Trailers with load range G tires all had LT tires, but I could not see the country of origin. (The G's were on an Escalade and a Kountry Star that had four dual wheels with load range G tires, the dry weight of the trailer alone was pushing my GCVWR.)

Seems to me that if ST tires were mandatory, they would be mandatory across the board including G range tires.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well since I have SOB for know but once a loyal Tana owner we just got back from trip last weekend where we had two tires throw the threads. We currently own Cedar Creek due to fit our needs better. It came with LT235/85R-16 G rated Chinese tires Hi Run. They CC have had many many issues with these tires throwing treads looks like recap coming off. We were lucky that I could feel vibration in seat and stopped to look before they three off and tore anything up. I called them once we got home they have line for owners to call direct to warranty department. He asked for my vin# to verify the year which it comes with two year bumper to bumper, gave me reference number told me to take pictures send to him along with receipt and go to Goodyear get me 5 new Goodyear G614RST's USA made g rated LT235-85R-16 installed and they will send check. As of the first of year that is all that is installed on there units since they had too many issues with the cheap Chinese tires. Which we did at cost of $246.00 each installed, they said once sent receipt have check in few weeks. So I know for fact that not all G rated are made in China, these are LT235-85R-16RST tires made in USA right on side wall. these things weigh over 100 pounds each, hopefully they will do good, I know Stiles installed them as well.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's interesting about having to use ST tires since not too long ago Keystone put LT tires on the Montanas for maybe a year (guessing at how long). Maybe DOT changed the rules. My guess is DOT changed the rules because trailer tires frequently are years old before wearing out the tread. And we know that ST tires have compounds to help them stand up to time better than LT tires. For us, we'll wear out a set of tires in a couple of years, so the time factor is not an issue. Not while we're fulltiming, anyhow. I'm just speculating on the DOT issue.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote