Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2007, 02:51 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Crossing Ferry

Well, we've seen some interesting sights while crossing the ferry to Port Aransas. First time we've seen a rig underway though. Guess that explains some of the cost of fuel.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...24-2007004.jpg

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Speaking of Ferries, remind me NOT to take one. I got this from a cousin in Seattle, who got it from a friend of his.

Subject: Anatomy of a Windstorm; Washington State Ferry System in Action.

On Thursday October 18th Western Washington was hit with a 50+ MPH wind storm. Here are my pictures of the event.

After work I made my way down to the Mukilteo Lighthouse Park where I witness the Mukilteo to Clinton ferry taking a pounding.

These Issaquah 130 Class ferries are over 300 feet long and 78 feet wide and weight in at 2477 tons (4,954,000 lbs) unloaded......

I'll start with some Rock & Roll..

Ok, here's one for you Long Flume lovers...

During storms like this the crew plots a course which puts the ferry in the least vulnerable position, but at some point they have to change course, and when they did Puget Sound made up for lost time.

After this run the ferry system stopped running at full capacity and ran 1/2 empty for the rest of the night.

Note that there are no longer cars visible in the last shot. I'm sure they were washed into the cars behind them

Each shot was taken 0.3 seconds apart hand held at 320mm's.

I'm glad you guys liked them; I was amazed at what I saw through the lens. During the wind storm I like to go down to the Lighthouse Park in Mukilteo and watch the ferries, but I've never seen a ferry take a hit like that. After this run they added a 3rd ferry and ran them 1/2 empty.

I'm going to have Costco print up a few 20x30".

Someone either PM'd me or posted that I should send these to the WS Ferry System. I tried to sell them a much tamer, but similar shot and they told me these kind of shots don't promote rider ship. I couldn't argue that one.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Wow!! Those pictures are awesome!!!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Great shots! Rough ride!!!
I'm glad there was no one standing at the railing right above that!
I've ridden those ferries a lot and never had a ride nearly that rough.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Whew!....

Nice pictures.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Think I'll just stay here! They did have a small fishing boat with three guys aboard try to beat the ferry the other day. Nope! It's faster than you think.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
As an ex-Seattleite (45 years there and ex Coast Guard)that is one great bunch of pics. Never seen that kinda water smack a ferry before.

Thanx!

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:09 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ya know when ever Lorraine and I take a ferry any where we always want to stand on the bow and feel the sea breeze and the occasional small wave over the bow. Even in the winter we try to stay up front until it gets too wet or too cold. If we were any where near where that sequence of photos was taken you would have been able to spot us.....

BACK ON SHORE
FOR SURE!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
LOL...pretty funny Glenn...

Awesome pics...remind me about these if I ever want to take a ferry...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I agree. Great pics. Unless there's some reason that we've got to use the ferry right then we'll wait for another day. Period. I give everyone on that ferry a hearty ATTA BOY. (and a better you than me) -))))
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
DONnAnnie,

We've been on that very ferry several times, sure glad we have moved out of Seattle...
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:simonsrf Posted - Oct 27 2007 : 10:12:24 PM
DONnAnnie, We've been on that very ferry several times, sure glad we have moved out of Seattle...
Last spring, we took the ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor. The water was real choppy and we did a little rock 'n roll, but no wheres near the photos above.

I agree with Chuck, we'll be waiting for another day.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
SlickWillie, We will be winter Texans for the first time this year staying in Port Aransas Jan. thru March. Is the anything we need to be sure to see or do while there?
pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pard

SlickWillie, We will be winter Texans for the first time this year staying in Port Aransas Jan. thru March. Is the anything we need to be sure to see or do while there?
We're still learning our way around here. Mostly we fish or crab. I'm looking at either going back to East TX and picking up my boat, or just buying a used bay boat here. We went to the Port A beach today. Surf was rough, but there were lots of folks there. Also fished the jetties awhile and caught a mess of whiting. We don't eat out a lot, usually catch a meal at the Big Fisherman on Tuesday. All you can eat fried chicken gizzards or chicken fried steak for $1.75 each. Now I wouldn't highly recommend the steak, as it seems to me to be a hamburger patty, but lots of folks eat them. There is a Maritime museum and aquarium in Rockport (haven't made either of them. We love it here, as everything is so convenient. On the island you will be only 15-20 miles from Corpus Christi. Lot's of restaurants and place to shop there. Also the USS Lexington is just across the bridge from Corpus. What park are you staying in?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
Tropic Island Resort. They haven't called yet to give us our site #. I have a cousin that lives in Rockport that will take us fishing, which we both love to do. We plan to go out on a charter boat because we've never done it. My wifes main thing is walking the beach and finding shells.
pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pard

Tropic Island Resort. They haven't called yet to give us our site #. I have a cousin that lives in Rockport that will take us fishing, which we both love to do. We plan to go out on a charter boat because we've never done it. My wifes main thing is walking the beach and finding shells.
I suppose you've been to Port A? If not, drop me a PM with an email address, and I'll send you a link to an album on Kodak. I took several pictures today of the beach and jetties, and just uploaded them.