Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Winterizing Controls

In the water control panel, the top right knob says "Water Heater By Pass." The one below it says "Winterization." If the top takes care of the by pass, what does the lower one do?

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bert,

I believe the winterization valve opens the antifreeze port to allow the pump to draw antifreeze.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Brad,

We haven't put ours to sleep for the winter yet, but you are correct per what we were told during our PDI. It sure will be alot easier with the new Montana then winterizing our other RV.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:08 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bert, Don,t forget the lines going to the hotwater heater and the fresh water tank does not get winterized this way.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:54 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes..you go inside turn on the pump, having hooked a bottle of pink stuff to that port then throw the switch and the pink stuff disappears.We like this setup..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:54 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sure beats doing it in the kitchen - messy sticky yuk. My 2955 had the valve and hose under the sink. I was greatful for that, but this sounds much better.

Brad
Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I understand the "Freeze Guard" female connection on the top left is where the pink stuff is drawn into the coach. My question was what does the "Winterization" knob do...second from the top on the right?

Brad...Why should it 'open' anything...the lines should already be and remain open, we draw water through them all the time without opening anything?

Dennis...Why won't this method winterize the lines to the water heater? As above, we run water through them all the time.

Not trying to be cantankerous here, just trying to figure out how all this stuff works...now, if we just had a decent owner's manual!!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bert,

The winterization valve is in front of the pump, and selects drawing water from the freshwater tank or from the freeze gaurd port (female thread) for antifreeze. The valve is necessary to close off the outside port when not in use or it would draw air into the system and the pump wouldn't pump water. When in the winterize position, it also prevents the pump from drawing air from the empty fresh water tank.

The hot water tank bypass is a nice feature, as the tank already drains itself well through the anode rod and doesn't need winterized. By bypassing it, it saves 10 gallons of antifreeze and also eliminates the need to flush all that antifreeze out in the spring. By using it, all of the lines to and from the tank are winterized, just not the tank itself.

Brad
Old 11-22-2006, 04:44 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bert, go look at the pictures in my post called "Winterized are you sure". You will see that there are lines that do not have pink stuff in them. One is going to the bottom of the hot water tank and the other goes to the fresh water tank. I also posted pictures of how I got the pink stuff into them. If those lines are not blown out with air or Pink stuff added they could freeze and bust. If you have any questions PM me with your number and I will call you.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 11-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Normally, when winterizing and the water heater is bypassed the lines to the water heater get the antifreeze, too, right up to where the bypass valve is located.

Mudchief mentioned with the new convenience center water heater bypass the water heater lines are not getting the antifreeze. I assume that's because the valve is at the convenience center and the water heater is some distance away? I wonder if this is enough to worry about, assuming the low point drains have been opened to drain residual water in the lines. I have not looked at the lines to the water heater to make sure they'd drain. Has anyone looked closely at this?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Steve, you are right. The by-pass valve is now at the convenience center. The line goes down through the floor and back up to the water heater. Therefore the part that is under the floor will hold water. The water would have to come up to go out the water heater or up to go out the low point drain. The one going to the fresh water tank I am sure has a swag somewhere along the frame that would hold water also. The low point drain does a good job on everything except these 2 lines. The little pump that I show in my post works great to get these 2 lines winterized.
1200 watts of Solar
Old 11-22-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Thanks, Brad and Dennis. I did everything else today, I'll check out your two lines tomorrow. On my old rigs (and current boat) I have jerry rigged all this stuff. Now that they do it for us, seems more confusing!