Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
'06 Mountaineer 329RLS falling apart

Just returned from a 5 week trip out west. This was our second "lengthy" trip and our '06 Mountaineer is literly falling apart
The most serious was the spare tire cable breaking, alowing the spare to bounce around underneath wiping out the rear underbelly and damaging the rear frame work.
Luckily a female motorist told us of the spare bouncing across the highway, through a ditch and finally landing on a side gravel road. She was kind enough to lead us to where she last saw it and we were able to retrieve the tire and wheel intact.
Were we lucky or what? Can you imagine a 16" tire/wheel combonation bouncing down the highway and into your windshield?
For some funny reason I suspect I will get some kind of an argument from my selling dealer on the extensive repairs. I hope I'm wrong.
Some of the other problems: window valance came separated from the wall, loss of dc power in the bathroom, ceiling bow coming loose, glass globe on living area fixture keeps falling off, living area carpet has many large bubbles, etc, etc.
Very discouraging, as the first trip gave us 0 problems.
Jim and Carla

jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Jim, so sorry to hear of your misfortunes.

That spare tire holder has a tendency to work itself lose, Al checks it every so often and has found that tire back there just shaking. Very scary. I would not like to see that tire headed my way, nope!

We have had a bit of trouble with the light globes too, and on the ceiling fan, so what Al did was to get some plumbers tape and run it around the fixture, put the globes back on and tighten the screw, we have not had one fall off since then.

Sadly, I have no suggestions for the rest of your problems, hopefully there are some others that have some experience with them.

Good luck with your repairs, so that you can enjoy your unit next trip out.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
"Falling apart" may be a premature description of the few but serious problems you list.
NOW be patient....I'm sure that with a few more trips in the trailer your description will prove to be an understatment.

(sorry... for the bashing of my second home manufacturer) but IMO, blame should be place where due.
My 2005 Mountaineer has quite a few "birth" defects.

2005 Mountaineer 326 FKS
2002 Chevy 2500 HD SB 4X4 w Duramax/Allison Many power Adders
Forney, Texas
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
I had many problems with my 3500rl too, but not as many as I had with my moutain view. yes, we all have some problems (some more than others) but montana seems to help take care of most our problems. I enjoy my 3500rl and am not sorry that I bought it.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Sorry to here about all the problems, these thing do require lots of TLC!

I made this to help support the arm, this helps keep the thing from bouncing around, Plus the spare has a chain and lock on it for other reasons.

The hunt makes the find that much sweeter!
Dennis and Debbie
05 Montana 2955RL Spruce Decor
2005 GMC 2500HD D/A CC SB Dark Metallic Blue
18k Reese Signature Slide Underbed Mount
Access Lorado Cover
Prodigy
Weston Nerf
Ride-Rite
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Thanks for the tips and comeback guys, better days are ahead.
Jim
Old 08-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I feel so lucky. The few problems we have had with our 328RLS is hardly worth mentioning. The biggest problem to date the frige quit. Took it in for repair and nothing wrong. Been working ever since.

Rick & Wanda R.
2005 F250SD Lariat 4DR.
6.0 Powerstroke
2005 Mountaineer 328RLS
Sulphur Springs, Texas
Kids: Lexus and Sunshine
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Jim, I have had more than my fair share of issues with our 06 Mountaineer. You can read about them in my previous posts. I have fixed all but one myself, but I sure was not happy fixing the issues while on a two week vacation with my family. I still have a small shower leak that has not been resolved but I think I will tackle that one myself also when the weather gets cooler here. I just read on another forum today someone bagging on Forest River and all the problems they are having with their fiver. Sounded just like issues people are having here. It's really too bad there doesn't seem to be a better alternative unless you spend really big bucks on something like an Excel or a custom New Horizons. Even with all the issues many folks seem to have, people keep right on buying these units so the manufacturers have no real incentive to improve their product. It's all supply and demand and until there is no longer demand for a shoddy product I think we are stuck with what is being offered in this price range.

Me, "outnumbered" by three red heads...my dear wife
& 2 DD's, plus Sam & Taylor the yellow camping labs.
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4
8.1L big block/Allison
06 Mountaineer 319BHD w/Trailair Pin Box
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
There was an Excel parked down the way from us 2 winters ago in the RGV, let me tell you, they get bad units too, this guy was NOT happy! His slide toppers were all torn, unit not that old, lots of trouble, whew, it can hit any unit. Not that it is right that we have to go through all this nonsense, just that, well, it is happening all over the place. Al and I have had Tana a little over 3 years, and we feel like we just got er all running tip top, ohhhh, cept for the stereo that has a CD player that eats CD's and won't give em back, and won't play em either!

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Thanks Bruce, and Al & Carol, I feel better already.
Jim