Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On both this Montana and our prior Montana we put the crank-down scissor jacks. They help only a little on the side-to-side motion but totally stop the up and down bouncing. Totally. I crank them down only to snug and do them after setting all other stabilizers. Some folks prefer to crank the scissors down hard and before the rear stabilizers. Use whichever method works better for you.

In our case I put the scissor jacks behind the rear wheels although in front of the wheels works just as well. Use whichever location is easier to access. By the way, the self-tapping screws that came with the jacks work just fine. These jacks were on our 2003 Montana and were moved to our 2007 Montana and have never loosened at all.

If we had the level-ease system of the new Montanas I wouldn't bother adding stabilizers. Those systems are very stable, from what I've seen.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
BigJohn

M.O.C. #13357
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Here is what I use on my Monty forward of the first set of spring brackets on the frame.

it will help get most of the bounce out, depending how heavy of a walker you are.
I bought these at the Q a vew years back for 60 or 70 $$ each. no rust on them yet so they galvinised them good
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I added two scissor jacks, one each side, behind the wheels of our 2003 3295 and moved them to the same location on this 2007 3400RL. They don't do much for side to side movement but they totally stop the up and down bouncing. I use the regular stabilizers first, then crank down the scissors to just touching plus maybe a quarter turn to snug them. Works very well.

Behind the wheels, in front of the wheels, makes not real difference. Put them where there is room. Behind the wheels, like ours, they tend to get mud and other road crap on the screw, making it necessary to clean and lube them more often. But ours won't fit in front of the wheels.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Thanks Don, I just checked the company and they are out of stock.... figures....
Go to any good truck stop and get a pair of "load locks". They, of course, will be too long but shouldn't be a problem to shorten them. I also liked the idea of these at mid frame and if I didn't have 6 point auto I would do as mentioned.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #25
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Steve
We're at the stick house getting it ready to rent. It’s been 6 weeks and we're still working on zerosccaping the yard, haven’t even really touched the house. Figure another 6 to 8 weeks ugh
Then full timing for real.

Anyway we also have and love the 2007 3400rl. ? Did you mount the scissors jack behind the wheels and with the tap screws provided to the frame? And they are secure and frame secure.
Will do this when we get out as well as mount the jt braces
Mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #26
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Thanks Don, I just checked the company and they are out of stock.... figures....
Go to any good truck stop and get a pair of "load locks". They, of course, will be too long but shouldn't be a problem to shorten them. I also liked the idea of these at mid frame and if I didn't have 6 point auto I would do as mentioned.
I called http://www.shipperssupplies.com/stor...sp?ITEM_ID=184 and he said the cargo bars would be too weak to holdup a camper. But suggested one of these:

It extends from 16 1/2"-27", but he doesn't have any weight specs for it and doesn't know if it would hold the weight.

And they are only $36.00
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Great idea.... thanks
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by thekennys

Steve
We're at the stick house getting it ready to rent. It’s been 6 weeks and we're still working on zerosccaping the yard, haven’t even really touched the house. Figure another 6 to 8 weeks ugh
Then full timing for real.

Anyway we also have and love the 2007 3400rl. ? Did you mount the scissors jack behind the wheels and with the tap screws provided to the frame? And they are secure and frame secure.
Will do this when we get out as well as mount the jt braces
Mikey
I put ours behind the wheels because there wasn't really enough room in front of the wheels. I used the self tapping screws that came with the jacks and mounted it to the frame. The frame is an I-bar so you can place it so the holes are drilled through the lips.

When we traded for the 3400, I removed the jacks and re-used the same self-tapping screws. In all those thousands of miles, these self-tapping screws never came loose, not even a little. The jacks are solidly attached to the frame and are stable.

John Kohl uses his to take some weight off the tires and then drops the rear stabilizers. He says his is more stable even side to side when he does that. I tried it but must not be doing it right so I went back to dropping and snugging the rear stabilizers and then drop the scissors to just snug.

Don't hesitate to email me (envelope icon above) if questions.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
thanks Steve

i'll report on how it goes when we get out for real in Aug

mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote