Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Dryer is holding our clothes hostage!

I did a load of laundry earlier today with no problems. I started the dryer and it ran fine for about 10 minutes. Then quit. I checked the fuse and it's not blown. The plug is still plugged in. I have full power to the rig. And the door is locked on the dryer and I can't even get the clothes out to hang them up to dry. And my pajamas are in the dryer. . .

Do any of y'all have any ideas for what else I can do? Bernie will look at it tonight after he gets home. I have the Splendide 2100XC. Thanks!

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Go to bed without the pajamas and surprise Bernie!!!!

Can you turn the dial land re-start the dryer? It sounds like it stopped during the cycle. Could there have been a brown-out or power surge?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
There are a couple of things you can do, one is call the CHRT Clothing Hostage Rescue Team, or check the instruction book for a door release. You could also find a dryer that doesn't lock. Gee, aren't I helpful? I try, just ask Betsy... Dave P.S. you could have Berny try a crow bar or axe.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Did you turn the unit off and then try and open the door?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Wayne, never mind!

Dave, I'm trying to find the number for the CHRT!

Bill, I did try to turn the unit back on, but I have no power to it. So, nothing!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Well, the clothes are free! But, the washer/dryer combo is totally apart in the bedroom. Bernie had to jimmy the lock by unscrewing the top of the washer and going in behind the locking mechanism and working it open. Still no idea what's going on. At least the laundry is done for a few days...
And my pajamas are free!!!!!!
Tammy
Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Icehouse,

Good luck. Did you check to see if there is a reset button somewhere on the dryer? If not then you'd think it would have to be a breaker. When checking those you must turn it all the way off and then back on. And of course the breaker could have gone bad.

Please let us know what you find out.

Thanks,

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Sorry about that Bernie, better luck next time, try hiding the jammies. I was joking about the crowbar but whatever rescues the jammies is ok I guess... Dave
Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hamrad, Bernie is thinking there's a hidden fuse somewhere on the unit, but just can't find anything. Of course, Splendide customer service is closed for the day. The instruction manual is useless for this. I'll let you know what he finds.

Here's the catch, at the same time the dryer quit we lost internet. That's interesting because our cable, radio stations, etc. go down anytime there is a power outage. I never lost power to the rig and the Surge Guard never tripped. I can't decide if there's a connection there or not.

Dave, he brought in two long boards to balance the unit on with it sitting half out of the W/D closet. When he came in, I was washing dishes. I just watched him walk upstairs wondering the whole time if was just going to beat the thing open!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Of course I don't suppose there is a Splendide dealer anywhere near you.. See if one of the local miners needs it for shoring in his latest dig, or do like the Myth Busters like to do, blow it up...out in the woods
Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Although I would 'expect' the washer and dryer to be on dedicated circuits - we all know better. Given your last comment about also losing cable it sounds like you might have a wire loose upstream from your plug. You might want to take a circuit tester and check for dead plugs and then check the wiring to the back of them and make sure something didn't pull loose.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bernie called Splendide this morning. They said it's one of two things. First, we need to take the top off the unit and be certain that the wiring harness that attaches to the door lock is seated properly. He said if it jiggles loose, the unit will just stop. Bernie is pretty sure he checked that last night, but we will check it again tonight. If it is seated properly, then our circuit board is dead. Just to be on the safe side, Splendide is sending us a new circuit board with the service manual today via UPS so we can have it if needed (either now or later). This is our first dealing with Splendide and we are impressed. Kudos to Splendide.

This machine is new as of October 2007, so anyone who has the Splendide 2100XC, if you are every washing or drying and it just stops dead for no obvious reason, check the wiring harness at the door first. You can access it by unscrewing the top of the washer and reaching in. If it is seated properly, then you'll probably need a new circuit board. You can install it yourself but you do have to access the bottom of the washer. Installing it yourself does NOT void the warranty on the machine.

Tammy
Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #13
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Wayne and Earlene, we're still laughing about your suggestion for Tammy and the pajamas! Tammy is my kind of gal, by the way. She's worried about her PJ's instead of what's happened to her Splendide unit! (Maybe it's because she and I are probably the voices of authority on what you absolutely must have if you live where the temperatures regularly hit 30 or 40 below zero!)

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #14
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
You said it Carolyn! And socks for when I'm propped in my recliner watching TV. Absolutely!!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Poor Bernie! I guess there is not surprise for him.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Grrrrrrrrrrr at the dryer. Last week, the new circuit board arrived from Splendide. Bernie installed it. Nothing. On Monday he called Splendide back. During the course of the conversation, Bernie asked about a capaciter with no wires attached. He said there are wires hanging there, just not attached. Apparently, the thing that looked like a capaciter is the built in surge guard. So, when he gets home Friday, he will be pulling the washer/dryer back out and inserting the loose wires into the surge guard. Then, he can climb up and deal with the A/C.
My goal is to laundry in the rig this weekend instead of the campground office. However, I'm thankful that the campground has 6 washers and dryers. I had all of them going simultaneously last Saturday..
Tammy
Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
How long have you had your unit?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #18
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We took delivery of the rig in December, 2007. The Splendide washer/dryer model that I have (2100XC) has only been made since October, 2007 and it was installed prior to delivery.
Tammy
Old 06-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tammy-- You guys are wearing entirely to many clothes or changing to many times. If you finished the washing and drying on the 28th and you had all six washers going at the office last weekend-- you definately are not going "green" and reversing your clothes to make them last that extra day or two! Get with the program girl!
Really hope you get the problem solved-- you can always play Beverly Hillbillies and hang the laundry from the awning and/or string a line from the Monte to a nearby tree or something!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #20
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I know Rondo. Bad me!!! I have threatened to put up a clothes line outside. Now, on the bright side, if it was washable you can rest assured that I washed it last weekend!!!!!! I don't have near that much to wash this weekend!