Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
Satellite TV Connection

We finally decided to jump in and get a satellite dish.

I then learned that the existing coax and spltters have too much resistance for the satellite signals. Then I learned that I needed to install two coax cables for the DVR and another coax for the bedroom TV receiver. Each of these three coax runs are from the dish.

Does anyone have any advice for cutting holes in the 5th wheel for the new coax connectors and for running new cables through out the RV? Note: I want to keep the existing TV cableing to use for cable and antenna.

My DirecTV installer doesn't have any experience with these challanges.

Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
What Model Montana do you have ? I have a 3500RL ,,, just went thru all that and figured it out with out rewiring anything ,,,,,,, if you unit is simalar to mine probably be wired the same way ,,,,,, Do you have a coax box in the cabinet above the TV with two connections on it , and jumpered together with a short wire ?
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
Thanks for the reply. Sounds great.

We have a 3400RL. And yes, there is a double coax outlet with a short jumper in back of teh TV.
Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
OK On mine the top one is a direct line coming in with no splitters, the bottom one is the line going to the TV in the bedroom , and there are splitters on that ,, which is ok !! I have a two room Satellite box w/two remotes you can view different channels front and rear at the same time ,, then just put the jumper back on and use the cable connection or antenna. I am going to put switches on mine so you jusy turn the switch , OK ???
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainbirds

Thanks for the reply. Sounds great.

We have a 3400RL. And yes, there is a double coax outlet with a short jumper in back of teh TV.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:23 AM   #5
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
If you use the new recievers from dish, you do not need all that stuff. The new control boxes run of IFR.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:55 AM   #6
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
Yes ,, That is what I have but you still have to get the signal , wired to the bedroom TV ,,,,,, Then it is controled thru the remote to the box and then to the front TV !
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FulltimeFollies

If you use the new recievers from dish, you do not need all that stuff. The new control boxes run of IFR.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:17 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I use the outside phone line jack. I removed the jack from the inside, then went outside and carefully drilled the plastic centre out using a 1" spade wood bit. The rubber plug still works while traveling and to set up the dish I have my two satellite cables with screw on connectors inside the plug. I remove the cap, pull these two cables out a couple of inches and connect my two dish cables. I stuff a little paper towel around the cables to keep out the bugs. This works for now but I am looking for a good quality out door cable jack with two connections and a weatherproof cover to put in the same spot. Anybody know where I can find one? Thanks
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My receiver came with a splitter, only it's called a switch, for separating a single cable to feed the dual receiver. I didn't use it but would assume this would let you utilize a single cable in from the dish, split it at the receiver inputs, and still have the advantage of watching independant channels?

Don't know if anybody has used it, but it would save a lot of cable runs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:53 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Brad, if I want to record another channel while I watch a different one, I do need to have two separate feeds to my Motorolla receiver. I may even need the two lines to pause live TV, not sure about that.
I was a little ticked off that I could not watch my recorded stuff with out a Satellite signal but I am going to get a separate DVD recorder with a hard drive that will allow me to watch the recorded stuff without setting up the dish on overnight stops.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
For anyone wanting the cable/cable plate, check out http://www.bellrpg.net/soderbloom/RV...32&GRP=%203273. They are manufactured by JR Products. I've been going to do this mod, as I run two different satellite systems. Just haven't gotten "round tuit" yet. We don't use the phone line, but I hate to eliminate it. What I want to do is just add the extra plate with dual cable connections. BTW, this is not a sales pitch, just want to let you know I have ordered from Soderbloom. Bought a 10 watt solar panel for my gate at the stick house. Good service.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Slick, thanks for the link. That double plate is what I want.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:27 AM   #12
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
If you are using the dish network system this is the hookup I used. It allows me to use my 625 receiver just like I did in the stick house.

Satellite hookup pictures: http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...lite%20Hookup/

You use duplex connectors not splitters this allows the two signals to be brought together then separated once you run them inside the Monty.

First you connect the two coaxes from the antenna to a duplexer then run the single coaxes into the Monty.
Next you run a single coax out at the entertainment center and use a duplexer to split it one going to the receiver the other going to the bottom of the connector where the jumper cable is.

This system allows you to have separate satellite channel selection in the bedroom. It also allows you to run the outside TV connection in the basement (on the newer 2007's) as a slave to the bedroom.

Unfortunately I am changing to Direct this week and will have to redo my system. Once I figure out how I am going to set it up I will post more pictures of it.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote