Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
TrailerSaver Hitch

Anyone running the TrailerSaver?

Not a lot of info using search (Orv - I think you have one?). If you have one, I am curious about the following:
  • The system looks like it easily takes care of the up and down motion, but how does it do with the forward and back little surges (curious if I still should also consider a glide-ride pin box with it)?
  • The system does not appear to have shocks like a TrailAir Pinbox - should it?
  • Evidently you need to deflate it before disconnecting or it will pop up when the pin box clears. When deflating is there problems with clearance between the bed and Monty?
Any info is appreciated. This thing is real expensive and I just have to order it, install it, and try it. No place to see it. Makes me a little nervous for such a big investment. I've looked at alternatives, and by the time I add pieces/parts to keep a slide function, they get almost as expensive. I'm trying to put together the right package in anticipation of something bigger down the road (Cambridge maybe - new Montana "Big Sky Almost" maybe )

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I've been researching the same thing. Since we intend to keep the Montana for a good while, I'm leaning toward an air pin box rather than an air hitch. It's about half the cost. Also, it appears you don't need both the air hitch and air pin box, either will do the job.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bert-

The air pin box (Trailair) would be a good choice - however I just talked to them and they are releasing a new version in about three weeks. From my research, the biggest complaint about the Trailair is it doesn't do anything for the forward and back surges, just up and down. The new product is supposed to cure that.

I wasn't planning air over air. Rather the Glide Ride is a pendulum swing pin box that is very effective in eliminating the forward and backward surge (based on those that have it), similar to the Mor-Ryde pin plate. I believe it was Montana Sky that said he saw the glide ride pin box connected to an air ride hitch and the owner said it was the best ride he ever had. Guess that's where I'm heading (while keeping the slide function) and it seems the only combo I can find.

The advantage I've found for the TrailerSaver is it has it's own built in compressor and relieve valve and automatically levels itself as you drive. It also has a pneumatic release for the slide.

I'll probably wait to see what the new TrailAir pin box looks like, but not sure I want all that action on the pinbox. Seems a little more stable when some is shared by the hitch but I might be wrong.

Brad
Old 10-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Anyone running the TrailerSaver?

Not a lot of info using search (Orv - I think you have one?). If you have one, I am curious about the following:
  • The system looks like it easily takes care of the up and down motion, but how does it do with the forward and back little surges (curious if I still should also consider a glide-ride pin box with it)?
  • The system does not appear to have shocks like a TrailAir Pinbox - should it?
  • Evidently you need to deflate it before disconnecting or it will pop up when the pin box clears. When deflating is there problems with clearance between the bed and Monty?
Any info is appreciated. This thing is real expensive and I just have to order it, install it, and try it. No place to see it. Makes me a little nervous for such a big investment. I've looked at alternatives, and by the time I add pieces/parts to keep a slide function, they get almost as expensive. I'm trying to put together the right package in anticipation of something bigger down the road (Cambridge maybe - new Montana "Big Sky Almost" maybe )
It handles the foward and aft motion very well. I experience no "chucking" or "porpoising" as some have talked about.

It does have shocks, one on each side and the airbags do not need to be deflated before disconnecting or at any other time. The head only raises slightly when disconnecting, keeping slight pressure against the king pin. When disconnecting, the 5er king pin is raised until the hitch head is noticeably loose. Then just drive away.

I wouldn't recommend the glide-ride pin box because the hitch does the same thing. The other thing you have to consider that if you were to install a glide-ride pin box and then decide to change 5ers, it may not fit your next one.

The Trailer Saver hitch fits right into the Reese/Drawtite rails.

Please note that I do not have any relationship with the company that makes the hitch. I just studied a lot of hitches and wanted one that would last me for as long as I travel and I wanted as much comfort as I could get while I travel. If you're not going to do a lot of traveling, don't invest the money. But, for a full-timer, though it is expensive, it is well worth the money.

If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

Bert-

The air pin box (Trailair) would be a good choice - however I just talked to them and they are releasing a new version in about three weeks. From my research, the biggest complaint about the Trailair is it doesn't do anything for the forward and back surges, just up and down. The new product is supposed to cure that.

I wasn't planning air over air. Rather the Glide Ride is a pendulum swing pin box that is very effective in eliminating the forward and backward surge (based on those that have it), similar to the Mor-Ryde pin plate. I believe it was Montana Sky that said he saw the glide ride pin box connected to an air ride hitch and the owner said it was the best ride he ever had. Guess that's where I'm heading (while keeping the slide function) and it seems the only combo I can find.

The advantage I've found for the TrailerSaver is it has it's own built in compressor and relieve valve and automatically levels itself as you drive. It also has a pneumatic release for the slide.

I'll probably wait to see what the new TrailAir pin box looks like, but not sure I want all that action on the pinbox. Seems a little more stable when some is shared by the hitch but I might be wrong.

Brad
I don't use the on-board compressor because it takes up space. I merely keep the airbags inflated using my little 12V compressor which I always carry with me in the truck.

Orv
Old 10-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Brad,

There is a long thread on the RV forum where a guy ordered both the Trail Air and 5th Airborne pin boxes, put each on and tried them both. He said the same thing you did about the Trail Air not eliminating the for/aft surges, but takes care of the up/down problem. The 5th Abn, did the opposite...took card of the for/aft movement but not the up/down problem. I'm still debating what to do...and checking things out. Like you, I hate to order something I have not seen.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Orv,

I was hoping you would jump in. Not sure if you had one or not or I would have sent you a PM.

What you say makes sense and is good advice. If the hitch covers the forward - aft motion as well as the porpoise, then no need for the pin box. I just wasn't sure. Also glad to hear it has shocks (couldn't see in picture). The sales person is actually the one that says I need to deflate it (strange). Must be for those that forget to actually lift the all of the weight off of the hitch with the landing gear.

Thier Saver Slide is brand new and it's a tiny little picture on the web with no brochures. The salesman is going to send me digital pics. Its the TS3 mounted inside a slide mechanism and it is expensive. Evidently with this one you have to have the compressor, as it self adjusts the height up and down automatically as you drive down the road using a magnetic sensor that memorizes your setting. The compressor and control system are all enclosed within the hitch itself. It has a remote control that you use to initially raise or lower the height based on your load, and you can also use the remote control to release the slide through a pneumatic actuator on the hitch.

Does it ride every bit as good as you hoped?

Brad
Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bert -

I missed that thread - good info. I suspected what you say, which leaves me to find something that does it all. It will be interesting to see what the new TrailAir looks like. She would not say anything on the phone.

Brad
Old 10-30-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

Does it ride every bit as good as you hoped?

Brad
Yes it does. I used to get beat to death on the highway after only a 100 miles or so. But now we run 5-6 hours and I'm not near as tense or tired when we arrive at our destination. I love looing in my rear view window and seeing the king pin float when I travel down some of our rough freeways (I-10 across the Florida panhandle for one). This tells me that I'm definitely not stressing the rig as much as I did with a solid hitch.
Brad, you're going to get a lot of people who think the best way to go is with the pin box mod, but I think that's because of the cost involved. I'm a great believer in you get what you pay for, that's another reason I bought our Montana!

Orv
Old 10-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Orv,

I tend to agree. I've looked at every combination of gadgets I can think of to get the same ride, but they are going to cost almost as much when combined. Also had a nice chat on the phone with Hazmic who swears by the ride. He also pointed out he has the ability to raise the hitch height pneumatically when he gets caught in an angled position that brings his bed rails up against the belly of the Monty. Pretty nice feature.

The factory is sending me some pics of the new model. I'll post them when I get them.

Brad
Old 11-01-2006, 07:27 AM   #11
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
I just received an email from Hensley Mfg. It includes this statement

“For the month of November you can purchase any of our TrailerSaver air-ride hitches for 10% off the retail price.”

It also says that they now have a slider version of the TrailerSaver.

Brad, was this the new model you were referring to?

Also does anyone know if a bed saver will work with a TrailerSaver?

As a newbie to 5th wheels I am thinking you can’t be too safe. #61514;
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

I just received an email from Hensley Mfg. It includes this statement

“For the month of November you can purchase any of our TrailerSaver air-ride hitches for 10% off the retail price.”

It also says that they now have a slider version of the TrailerSaver.

Brad, was this the new model you were referring to?

Also does anyone know if a bed saver will work with a TrailerSaver?

As a newbie to 5th wheels I am thinking you can’t be too safe. #61514;
It won't work with mine. However, the head on the Trailer Saver is very much like some you see on semi-tractors. When mine is connected, it is connected solid and the jaws can't open. Rather I should say in all probability they won't open. I've had mine three years and have not experienced anything even remotely resembling dropping the rig. The one thing you must do FIRST when parking is to chock the wheels. Otherwise, when you lower the front landing gear and begin to raise the rig, it will slilde right off the hitch head. I believe that's because the hitch head rides on air and when disconnected will allow the rig to roll--IF NOT CHOCKED.

Orv
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Orv,

"The one thing you must do FIRST when parking is to chock the wheels."

I learned that early even with my little trailer, you just never know when or where a trailer might want to roll.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BirdingRVer

Orv,

"The one thing you must do FIRST when parking is to chock the wheels."

I learned that early even with my little trailer, you just never know when or where a trailer might want to roll.
Grant,
You're right on. The reason I mentioned it the way I did is you'd be surprised how many with 5ers put the front landing gear down before chocking the wheels. With the Trailer Saver hitch, that is not recommended.

Orv
Old 11-02-2006, 08:14 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Grant - that is the one I'm looking at. I just posted some photos of the new slider that I got from Aaron at TrailerSaver:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...10&uid=6528899

Nice looking outfit. I am a little concerned about the locking mechanism for the slide! From the pics, it sure doesn't look like a positive lock, and it's only on one side. I get nervous about my Reese slide letting go and ripping the whole hitch off when it hits the stops. I would really be nervous about this one if it doesn't lock any better than that.

I'm also not sure how you activate the automatic leveler system. It would seem if you use the remote to raise or lower it, it would try to return to the correct height by itself.

I've asked Aaron a few questions and will post as new thread when I understand it better.

Brad
Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Brad,
Before you purchase, see one in action. I wouldn't take anyone's word for how the mechanism works. Pictures are good but they don't tell the whole story. I also cannot see the shocks in the pictures, but they're there on my unit. They're located on the inside on either side of the head. Not being familiar with a slider mechanism, I can't say anything about it. I do know that of all the slider mechanisms I've seen, they do work. I wouldn't worry about trying to figure out from the pictures just how it works. If you're serious, make them show you one in action, connecting and disconnecting to and from a 5th wheel.

Orv
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Orv - good idea and I think Aaron would actually do it for me. I have been online with him for the last 2 hours and he has answered all my questions as he sits in front of the uncrated unit.

They do offer a 30 day no questions asked return - but you know how that goes.

By the way, there are slide actuators on both sides which makes it more secure than it apears.

My decision point now is - if I get a new Montana with the modified front - I don't need the slide and I'll save $1,000.

Brad
Old 11-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #18
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Notice the discussion and decided to add my 2 cents worth. We looked at all of the ride control hiches and went with the 5th Airborne, we find it does eliminate the chucking and the bounce. It pulls very well. Only had it on for about 150miles but they were nasty roads and that hitch smoothed the ride out to where we really didn't feel the trailer.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:49 PM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JimF

Notice the discussion and decided to add my 2 cents worth. We looked at all of the ride control hiches and went with the 5th Airborne, we find it does eliminate the chucking and the bounce. It pulls very well. Only had it on for about 150 miles but they were nasty roads and that hitch smoothed the ride out to where we really didn't feel the trailer.
When I purchased the Trailer Saver hitch three years ago, I was not able to fully evaluate it in just a couple hundred miles. But now, after over 60,000 miles, I can say that it truly gets rid of all the bounce and forward and aft chucking.

Before anyone purchases anything of this value they should realize that it is something that will be with them for a lifetime. I would never go back to my old Reese/Drawtite hitch--and they are good hitches.

Orv