Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2006, 02:25 AM   #21
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Someone in my family has hit a deer each year up until about 6 years ago. That is when I put them on all vehicles. No more hit deer however most have moved out so there is not as many vehicles. So is that the reason or the whistle. My wife says they are staying on her vehicle.
I don't blame her because she has totaled out 2 vehicles with deer.

1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:22 AM   #22
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
In addition to deer, I understand they also work extremely well in keeping white elephants out of sight......

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:58 AM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sandymom

In addition to deer, I understand they also work extremely well in keeping white elephants out of sight......

Mike
You're right but the pink elephants still seem to come around for some people.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:08 AM   #24
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Rode motorcycles for over twenty years, decided to try these things one year. We.re tooling along at about 50 up in the mountains fat dumb and happy, and thinking these things work great. WRONG!! Deer jumped out and flew just behind me and in front of the other bike with us. He was on a flat out jump and run. I've never had them on a bike since. I rode Goldwings, a very quiet, long duration touring bike.
Also had a friend that had them on, and a deer jumped between him and his wife in the back seat, his hoof knocked off her helmet and tore her leather jacket sleeve.
wouldn't trust them for durn!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:05 AM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickety

Rode motorcycles for over twenty years, decided to try these things one year. We.re tooling along at about 50 up in the mountains fat dumb and happy, and thinking these things work great. WRONG!! Deer jumped out and flew just behind me and in front of the other bike with us. He was on a flat out jump and run. I've never had them on a bike since. I rode Goldwings, a very quiet, long duration touring bike.
Also had a friend that had them on, and a deer jumped between him and his wife in the back seat, his hoof knocked off her helmet and tore her leather jacket sleeve.
wouldn't trust them for durn!!!!
I understand there has to be a certtain distance between the two parts of the animal alert mechanism. Is it possible that there is not enough space between them on a motorcycle?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #26
jkbeaudin
Established Member

M.O.C. #6399
After hitting a deer on my Goldwing motorycyle at 70 mph on the New York Toll way near the Finger Lankes region, I investigated all I could find from the internet and from real experts on the subject of deer avoidance tactics and the use of mechanical devices. There is no proof that any of the deer whistles work to keep deer from crossing your path. As a friend of mine suggests: he thinks that unless the deer have been to "whistle school", they don't know what to do if they even hear the sound of the whistles. A deer that was on the side of the road and maybe would have stayed there now decides to jump out and cross in front of you.

For me: I now pay attention to the sides of roads near forests and especially where the signs have been placed that identify deer strikes. The sooner I can slow down the less damage to property and person and deer. And the only other avoidance I found out from the experts advice was don't try to pull around the deer it may decide to turn quickly and cut back across your path again. Full brkaes and keep your vehicle & load under control. More deaths happen when the vehicle goes off road and hits something else other than the deer they were trying to avoid.

But if you do get whistles - my advice is don't drive with confidence that the deer now know what to do since you are whistling at them.
jkbeaudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My Dad and Family had various trucking businesses so I drove a lot of truck in my younger days. My Dad lectured me in no uncertain terms that I was to never to take any kind of violent action to avoid hitting an animal of any kind..try to straight line stop, slow as much as you can..but drive through the animal..That includes your fuzzy little fur ball pet. Evasive action might save the animals life and cost you yours, your family members or others. We lost two employees doing that and know of others who lost their life or were severely injured attempting to avoid a animal..I hold to that advise today..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:48 AM   #28
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I agree Rich, thats what I was taught...focus on your path of travel and take your chance with the animal.

I got pictures from my traveling buddy a few years ago who had just bought a new Allumilite Class A. That model had about 5' between the grill and where the front radiator was actually positioned. He had hit a cow, and the cow ended up blowing a hole through the front of the RV and was laying on the frame in front of his radiator with the legs sticking out. It broke out his windshields and took most of the front end - but he never lost control (just scooped it up). The bad part was the cow was too heavy to remove, so he had to drive to the next town with it stuck in the front end.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:38 AM   #29
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with you both Rich, and Brad, I will not compromise the safety of my family, self, or others, to keep from hitting an animal,..... even a pet.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #30
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Rich, That's what my dad taught me. It's not something I think about when I'm driving, but when it happens I just instinctivly do it. You have to focus on maintaining your vehicles path, so the animal knows you're committed and will have to adjust its path or die. My vehicles have hit many small animals and almost kissed a few bigger ones over the years. Knock on wood, praise God or whatever, nothing bad has happened. Good topic to bring up this time of year. About those little whistle things, well, it's kind of like we always have garlic in the house and we have seen no werewolves or vampires to date. LOL
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #31
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
There was a story on the news last week which said they don't work. The expert from the Agriculture Department said they are not effective. In fact...he said it was a waste of money. My gramps owned an auto-body shop. He had several cars come through with the plastic devices and they had hit a deer.
Save your money. Be alert and stay alive.
Okie Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #32
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I talked to an Ohio Highway Patrolman a few years ago about these things. He says that there is nothing ever been proved that they work. Ohio has about 87,000 deer/car collisions per year. A good number of those collisions are with vehicles that have those little noise makers.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote