Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Arts & Crafts
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Quilters, Crafters, step forward!

I just couldn't let this topic stay empty. Many of us quilt or having sewing projects. Let's share with one another what we like to do or what projects we're working on.

I tend to have several projects going on at once. Presently I am working on peach dresses for my granddaughters that have a sheer overshirt with a ribbon edge. That will be my challenge.

I always have patchwork quilt piecing in the works and look forward to quilting some quilt tops that are already pieced when we return to the stick house next week.

Okay, what are you doing?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Judy,
Do you hand quilt or machine quilt? One of the things I've inherited since my Mother passed is a cedar chest full of quilts - all hand. There are also 4 quilt tops that we need to have quilted. Everyone in the family has a quilt or two and we will divide these up also. Some need some repair work so I found the lap quilt frames and will start working on the repair. Some of them are really old but all my family love them - when you are sick the quilt makes you feel better.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sue, I am a machine quilter and piecer. I enjoy the process of planning and piecing a quilt more than the quilting. Thus, I have several completed quilt tops at home waiting for my attention. I love puzzles and piecing a quilt is much like working on a puzzle.

You can hire people to quilt your quilt tops but it may cost big bucks. Sounds like you've got enough to keep you busy. When are you scheduled for fulltiming?
Old 04-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I have always knit and crocheted for the fun of it. Then at one time I added a yarn shop to our apparel store. I got so busy in the yarn shop with classes and then adding machine knitting that it ceased being fun. I have just now started doing a little again but this fulltime RV'ing and keeping up our blog doesn't leave me much time. Maybe if we slow down for awhile I will do more.

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, you are a lady of many talents. A motorcycle shop and now apparel and yarn? What does your resume look like? I'm glad you're back into yarn projects just for fun. With all the large needles/hooks and bulky yarns, it's easy to keep a project going when you're on the road.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I have done a lot of cross stitch and need to get going on that again. I bought some kits to do when I retired...in the meantime I learned about prayer shawls and have been knitting when I have time. I have one finished and working on my second one. I have quite a list of people I am knitting for and it will keep me busy for quite awhile.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Judy
Yes my aunt's church group is going to quilt the tops for me. My Grandmother hand pieced all of these quilts and I think she would haunt me if I machine quilted them. My Dad put together a very interesting book on quilt patterns before he died. We are not going to think about full timing for a least a year yet. I still have a lot to do at my Mom's and then we have to sell her home.
Happy trails.....................
Old 04-15-2006, 02:35 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I'm glad that you are having the quilts hand quilted, Sue, in keeping with the way that they were pieced. Quilting is quite varied nowadays and each method has its merit but the old handpieced quilt tops need to be done by hand.

Myrna, what is a prayer shawl? I know what it's for, or think I do, but what size are they and what type of yarn do you use?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:17 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
I admire you hand quilters - and machine quilters for that matter! My "quilting" in recent years has been confined to 8" denim blocks, some machine appliqued, and the comforter tied; the finished size is 60" sq., just right for picnics or wrapping up in. Other than that, I do counted x-stitch, decorative painting, card making, and any other crafty projects that look interesting. Right now I'm working on little genealogy albums for the grandkids, flax seed warmers, and a couple other projects.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sounds like you have enough to keep you busy, Karen. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Judy, you would be surprised at the things I have been fortunate enough to do in my lifetime but, the thing that made it possible to pay the bills and earn my retirement from is my accounting degree. Now the only thing I do is keep up with the tax laws enough to do ours and our family's taxes.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Accounting is an excellent skill to have, Helen. It would probably be easy for you to find partime work on the road if you needed a job. Better to use it to keep up a budget for your upcoming trip to Alaska!
Old 05-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #13
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
How difficult is it to learn quilting? Is there a lot of expense in equipment? I have a lovely, simple sewing machine.. as yet unused.

I have a hand made quilt that I inherited from my great aunt (that Rich threw in the washing machine... he's real lucky it survived!) I'd like to make pillow shams for it.
I also inherited a pair of twin size, bed spreads that my aunt/mom was making, that aren't completed yet. I have no idea how to finish them.

If we can hook up with y'all this winter can someone help me with these?
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, learning to quilt is a process. It is composed of simple steps that combine to make finished projects. A simple sewing machine can accomplish a lot in quilting. There are basic books that will give you instructions for step by step quilting. Once you finish a quilt top, you do have the option of sending the quilt top to people who will finish it for you. If you have a local quilt shop, they almost always offer quilting classes and that would be a good way to start
Old 05-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #15
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Awwww, Judy... I was hoping some of you would be willing to teach me some stuff. More personal touch... know what I mean? Until I retire.... I can't sign up for any classes as I work a different shift each week, my days off change every 4 weeks and with summer coming, I have to reserve my days off for potential local camping trips.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:38 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We can have at least an unofficial session at the rally, Helen. It doesn't take long to learn the basics and then you can do simple projects and build your skills. I always have some projects going and I'm sure others can share their insight. Once you know about the basics, it's practice, practive, practice.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Helen,
Our family has about 20 hand made quilts. In the cedar chest I inherited when my Mom died there were also 4 tops that needed quilting. We just sent one to my aunt (in Kansas) whose church group will quilt it. I know there are such groups around especially in the midwest. Since all of ours are totally hand pieced and quilted I don't dare put a machine to them. I have several that needed mending and I can piece in new pieces and then quilt the new pieces. I have a small quilting frame but want to buy an even smaller one to use in the Montana. I haven't quilted for many years but remember how. I had great teachers!
Happy trails.....................
Old 06-05-2006, 03:43 AM   #18
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Ok... an unofficial session would be great. I have embroidery hoops and have done a fair amount of cross stitching in my days... so hand stitching... or machine... makes no difference to me. Somewhere in my "stuff" I have a cardboard cutting grid that I bought when I started sewing classes (took 2 and my schedule made me quit). Would it be wise to buy a rotary cutter now or wait? Any other tools I should have that I could purchase gradually before we "hit the road"? I also purchased a year of a quilting magazine (for future use) and tucked it away. I intended to learn quilting AFTER I retired... so the mental attitude is already there.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:16 AM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, I wouldn't start a quilting project without a rotary cutter and a ROTARY cutting mat. Most of them are green. You can't use your rotary cutter on the cardboard. Walmart has a nice little kit with a mat, cutter, and plastic ruler that will get you started. That's what I would buy if I was starting.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #20
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Helen, count me in for a session if we see you in TX this winter. I have taken several classes and quilt every so often. As Judy said, get the rotary cutter and mat, they are such a wonderful tool, but dang they are SHARP! I store my big mat under the bed flat. A machine that can do a regular straight stitch is all you need. I'd quilt more if I wasn't so lazy aobut getting the sewing machine out. I often crazy quilt too, laying the material down, then adding beads and embroidery or cross stitch to make a wall hanging or throw. Best of both worlds.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote