Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #61
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Quote:
Don it looks like you have connected your battery connect right to your motor connection. Battery connections should go to one side of each breaker and the load to the other side.To test just trip your new breaker and try pump. If it runs you have no protection.
Hi Travelinsparky,

I wanted to follow up on your comment. I pulled my unit out of storage this morning and I tested the CB as you described. The pump does not go on when the CB is tripped. Reset the CB and the pump came back on like it supposed to. Thanks for the follow up question.

Don

2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #62
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Because of the information that the members of this club has posted, Thank you all. My 3791rd is 2 months old. I live in Tennessee and it has been cold this winter. After the first month of owning our new rig I noticed the breaker for the slides and jacks was tripping about every 5 seconds of trying to open or closing our slides. Same with raising or lowering our jacks. I downloaded the PDF file from this group about Lipperts recommendations on the size of our breaker. Took it all to our dealer. After contacting Keystone several times the dealer replaced the 50amp breaker with the recommended breaker. Problem solved! No Charge!!!
Thanks y'all
Joe
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #63
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyride View Post
In reading this I was just wondering if anyone is increasing wire size, after all that is one of the major components the circuit breaker is protecting. If you increase the potential load to the components the breaker is serving you may be installing something that could be a fire hazard should there be an overload or short on the circuit the breaker is feeding. I can't imagine any company would be crazy enough to tell someone to increase the size of the circuit breaker without making major modifications to all the devices involved. As for drilling anything out, that is usually a sign of making a bad decision. Manufactures design things to not allow someone to make unsafe changes. Another thing to be aware of, just because you buy a circuit breaker doesn't mean you are buying one to protect the circuit properly. There are many different types of circuit breakers, as an example: Thermal Magnetic breakers compared to Instantaneous trip circuit breakers. One is designed specifically to protect in case of a short circuit. Im not an expert on making the changes suggested and certainly in no way recommending anything, just someone that likes to sleep at night knowing my electrical system was designed and installed properly! Would love to know what official document Lippert may have sent to anyone that suggests these changes?

You don't say what rig you have, but we have a 2012 3402RL, and I believe it was one of the earliest units that had the hydraulic leveling system factory installed, and the wiring from the batteries to the pump and the power center is all #4 STR copper, so the 80 amp breaker recommended by Lippert is nowhere close to overloading the cable. The older rigs that have only hydraulic slides may have smaller cabling, so those would have to be checked before increasing the breaker size.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #64
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinsparky View Post
Don it looks like you have connected your battery connect right to your motor connection. Battery connections should go to one side of each breaker and the load to the other side.To test just trip your new breaker and try pump. If it runs you have no protection.

If you look at the upper breaker in the top photo, the battery side cable goes in and out on the same terminal and then to the lower breaker in the photo. The top breaker feeds small loads that don't come from the fuse panel. The two cables leaving the lower breaker are in the correct position, one goes to the pump and the other off the same terminal goes to the fuse panel.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #65
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hollars View Post
Because of the information that the members of this club has posted, Thank you all.........
........,. I downloaded the PDF file from this group about Lipperts recommendations on the size of our breaker. Took it all to our dealer. After contacting Keystone several times the dealer replaced the 50amp breaker with the recommended breaker. Problem solved! No Charge!!!
Thanks y'all
Joe
Awesome. Love it when the right thing is done.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #66
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Since most of the units are sold to part timers, I suppose saving the money by not putting an 80amp in to start with works for keystone since it's only those of us who camp in the cold who have problems but really, how much are they saving compred to the badmouthing they get from those of us who have to change them out?
DQDick, I just wanted to add my two cents, us non-full-timers, people who call themselves Longer-timers like us demand reliability too in the Montana just like the folks who live in them 365 days of the year. For the price we pay for these rigs, Keystone should always keep in mind our bests interests, weather "part-time" or full-time living. There are excuses for anything less from the manufacturer. Maybe they should allow a little more customization at the factory, like the heavy duty circuit breakers, or metal vacuum breakers rather than plastic crap they use, I would be glad to pay for it when the trailer was being built.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #67
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKassl View Post
DQDick, I just wanted to add my two cents, us non-full-timers, people who call themselves Longer-timers like us demand reliability too in the Montana just like the folks who live in them 365 days of the year. For the price we pay for these rigs, Keystone should always keep in mind our bests interests, weather "part-time" or full-time living. There are excuses for anything less from the manufacturer. Maybe they should allow a little more customization at the factory, like the heavy duty circuit breakers, or metal vacuum breakers rather than plastic crap they use, I would be glad to pay for it when the trailer was being built.

I thought I Did pay for quality!
Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #68
Phabask
Established Member

M.O.C. #13855
I noticed ours triping, being an electrician upgraded to 60 amp breaker and moved the ground from the frame straight to the battery and upgraded the wire to and from the hydrolic pump for less resistance. I also added more 15 amp and 20 amp breakers, added a disconnect to negative side of battery.
Phabask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #69
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Hydr Pump Breaker upgrade

[QUOTE=carl n susan;1123895]I bet you have a residential refrigerator. That 150 amp fuse is for the inverter that supplies power to the refer. The self resetting breaker for the hydraulic system is totally separate. It looks something like this (the red one on the right is what a stock one looks like. The left one is an upgraded replacement):

[/QUOT

Can you advise what part number you used to order the self resetting breaker for the hydraulic system?

Based on earlier guidance I ordered the 80 amp busman but now have figured out that is the power line going to the inverter, not the hydraulic pump?
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #70
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Can you provide me a part no. for the new pump breaker that your picture shows on the left side?

Also, can you clarify the wiring. You note the one on the right is the old config and the one of the left is the new. Wiring is not the same?

Thanks,
Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 PM   #71
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The setup on the left is an alternative to the 80 amp breaker. It is two 40 amp breakers wired in parallel which provides 80 amps overall

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #72
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The two 40 amp in parallel is what I did as we were about to leave on a trip and I could not find an 80 locally and did not have time to order one. I just bought two 40 amp at a local auto parts store, two short buss bars at Lowe's, and some shrink tubing. That was 8 years ago and still works fine.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #73
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We don't know what the size of the ckt breaker is in our 13 3402.It is the OEM breaker. We had a 06 3400 that tripped the breaker if we tried to bring all the slides in with one push of the switch. This 3402 has 4 slides like the 06 3400. We are always on shore power when extending the slides and leveling jacks. We will bring in the bedroom and kitchen slides , let off the switch for a few seconds, bring in the opposing slide, let off the switch for a few seconds then bring in the main big slide. Never a problem with the 06 3400 or this 13 3402.It may add 20/30 seconds to the set up time but we are never in a hurry.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #74
bingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #18899
50 amp Breaker

I’ve been dealing with this past 2 days, then I remembered this thread. I thought what I was seeing was a wiring block and not a breaker, I tested and found one side had power and other didn’t, I moved wiring over to same side and bam, it all works!. I had lost all DC power inside, as well as ability to charge batteries. Now my question. The “other 50” is feeding the problem 50, if I replace with only one 80 then it’s still getting its power from a 50 amp. Have I accomplished anything by making the one on the left a 80?
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #75
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Check your wiring again. One 50 should not be feeding the other 50. The large wire from the battery should go to one of the 50s and then a jumper to the other 50 so that both are connected directly to the battery.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #76
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Hydr Pump Breaker upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Check your wiring again. One 50 should not be feeding the other 50. The large wire from the battery should go to one of the 50s and then a jumper to the other 50 so that both are connected directly to the battery.
They must wire these trailers different every day depending on what day it is!!!!

On my 2018 3721RL, I have two different hot wires coming off the batteries. One goes thru a 150 amp breaker thru a on/off switch to the inverter. A second one goes to what was an original 50 amp breaker that ultimately feeds the hydraulic pump.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #77
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Two wires direct from the battery is even better than one wire and a jumper.

There was a recent discussion about a breaker vs a fuse to the inverter. Something else inconsistent.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #78
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You have two separate systems, one the wiring through the 150 amp breaker to feed the inverter. The other is a system of two auto cheap self reseting breakers. One feeds the hydraulic pump, the other feeds trailer needs.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #79
Fireman Will
Established Member

M.O.C. #25551
I'm confused, the red one has a hot wire on one post. The black one doesn't? My RV has a large hot wire coming from the pump. It looks like I have two. What did you do with the red/hot wire?
Fireman Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #80
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman Will View Post
I'm confused, the red one has a hot wire on one post. The black one doesn't? My RV has a large hot wire coming from the pump. It looks like I have two. What did you do with the red/hot wire?
If you are referring to the picture about 10 posts up, the black wire coming up in the center of the picture going to the black breaker is the positive wire from the battery. The other black wire on that same post is a short loop going over to the red one to supply battery 12v to the red breaker.
The black wire on the other side of the black breaker goes to the pump. The large black wire on the red one goes thru the wall presumably to the fuse panel. The red wire has an in line fuse (not seen in the picture) and goes to the front jacks.