Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Getting ready for spring and a new season

The weight of it all!

Perhaps this is more applicable for those of us in the northern tier states. Definitely after the winter we have had during the 2014 / 2015 season, spring just can’t come soon enough!

This year we bought a new Montana 3750FL. My wife and I are extremely pleased with it. So far, other than the “Automatic Bed Stripping Feature” of the opposing rear slides, there isn’t a reason to not be very satisfied with our purchase!

Because of when we bought the Montana, our Outback 325FRE was winterized and things put away for the winter. Rather than spend a long period of time at the dealership moving items over, we decided to strip as much of the easy stuff out at home. Chairs, table, grill, you know..stuff…

Holy Cow. There were things in our Outback that just didn’t need to be there, weren’t used or were just stored and forgotten about. The Outback had tremendous storage. Cabinets over all of the seating, Kitchen, Bedroom, large front storage, and storage under the front compartment beneath 2 covers as well. After filling the 6th tote and moving them downstairs into the cellar I was confident we were all set.

But I have to back up a few months into October 2014. In October a co-worker and I went to Iowa to assist in a Nuclear Plant Refueling Outage. Prior to leaving I went after reducing weight to maximize fuel economy. I had already removed a good number of things. This included 11 pairs of my wife’s shoes, 6 backpacks, bags, purses, extra coats, and other things from my DW’s side of the closet.

11 pairs of shoes? Really? Who needs that many pair of shoes, in a camper!?

We got to delivery day and did the walk-through and PDI. Everything was good. Now… to move the “few” remaining items from the Outback to the Montana. Holy hoarders Batman! There was more stuff that came out of no-where! Much of the excess stuff got moved to totes we had emptied into the cabinets in the Montana. Once home we took an additional evening sorting the totes out. Most of the junk was tossed. My wife looked at me sheepishly “Little Much Huh?”

Anyway, to the point. How much “Stuff” are you carrying? I had it under control! Or so I thought!! This might be a good opportunity to give your unit a good spring cleaning.

Set aside some time to go through what you have. You may be surprised at what you may find!

There are those who will read this and are sure they keep things probably pretty much reduced to what is needed. They may be right! Or maybe they aren’t! I certainly believed that I fell into the Got It Covered category.

Everything removed is that much less weight. Less weight for the tow vehicle to pull, less weight for the brakes to stop, and less weight for the axles to support. Reducing weight is actually probably pretty good preventative maintenance!

After removing the items that were not needed, not used, extra, what-have-you, I weighed or gave a rough estimate of weight to all of the items. It added up to about 500lbs. 500! How is that possible!?

It is possible! It’s actually really easy to do. Too easy!! So this spring, take the time to have a look. Get some of that “stuff” out of there. You’ll be glad you did.

And no… the wife’s shoes have not gone back in!

Eric

egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Eric-- You are a brave man stating and removing the DWs stuff from the Monte! I sure hope you live to see this year's camping season if she ever read this post!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
She's got me right...

I mean, I got her right where I want her!
Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There's a law of physics that says "Your stuff will expand to meet the available space". Just ask anyone who's added on to their house or garage. That's why as full timers we have our rig weighed by Escapee's Smart Weigh about every three years. They give you a weight on all wheels on both the truck and trailer and a before and after hitching weight on the truck. That way we can really see all the parameters and it usually results in us dumping some stuff out of the rig the next time we're near our storage facility.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm not sure I've had 11 pairs of shoes in my lifetime.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I'm not sure I have room to criticize DW shoes, clothes, etc. given the likely weight of my toolbox...
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We solved the automatic bed stripping feature by folding the comforter back at the end of the bed. The ends were catching when the bed slide came out from under the closet.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:13 AM   #8
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Whenever we trade units we do a complete removal of everything we own of course from the old unit. After that when placing stuff back in the new unit we both dicker in an attempt to replace items that we absolutely need and nothing more. Yes, it's truly amazing what is left over after each transfer.

Many consumers look at the new models and consider units that give them more storage space where as ourselves we could do with less. Like Dick said "Your stuff will expand to meet the available space", so we don't need any more space.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:02 AM   #9
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I've got to do this spring cleaning in the Rv and the S&B. have started InThe S&B. oh what a job.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:04 AM   #10
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
Jay Bird, you beat me to it. I was going to suggest folding the covers back too. Of course it took me awhile to figure out why the bed was being stripped each time we set up, so I guess I'm slow overall, haha.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #11
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
when we traded up to the Montana from SOB, i could not believe the extra stuff that was in it. cast iron pan, stoves, stove fuel, fly fishing gear(Oh that stays!!!) etc……… we definitely reduces a lot of weight but ….. sure it will come back in some other way. toolbox alone has more in it now then before . lol
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #12
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Fixed the Bed Stripping issue!

Cut railing styles to about 4 inches long, attached adhesive backed Velcro.

Attached two of them to the left and right inner lip of the frame, and two and the bottom. No more stripping! Just remove the styles until ready to close the slides. Works well!