Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
"American Picker"

No, not the ones on the TV show but me. Today I’ve become an American picker. I started removing the old graphics on the front of the Monty and it’s going to be a slow process.

I do have the replacement graphics for the front, Thank You Keystone for coming through with them.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That looks like a real PITA! Good luck, hope it goes easier than it looks.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Bill, I just did my 2005 2955RL. 80% of the graphics were bad and I spent most of a the day a week ago Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday stripping them off. It will be heading to the graphics shop on April 2 for new ones. It was a job that I certainly would not want to do again. DW kinda likes the "Naked Montana"!!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Got-R-Done! It went much better than I expected. Now for the fun part of trying to remove the glue residue that’s left.

[img] http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...s/03271201.jpg [/img]
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
That has to be a job!
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I hope I don't gotta do that. Anybody know if you put Red Max Pro on them when that are good will that keep them nice or will they still deteriorate.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
If mine deteriorates that badly I'm gonna get a full body paint job on the Monty and get a job as a Wally World greeter to pay for it!!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

If mine deteriorates that badly I'm gonna get a full body paint job on the Monty and get a job as a Wally World greeter to pay for it!!

Keep wanting to use the “like” button but oh wait a minute, that’s on F/B.
I think we need one here!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Sorry corattler another thread states the Walmart greeters have gone to way of the dinosaur. Try burger flipping at McD's.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Good Luck Bill on putting on the new Graphics. Good job so far
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jay Bird

Good Luck Bill on putting on the new Graphics. Good job so far

On our previous Monty we had to replace almost all of them. I consider that project a learning experience. Hopefully it will go well. The part I dread the most is getting the gunk off the front where they peeled and the glue collected dirt over time.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

That looks like a real PITA! Good luck, hope it goes easier than it looks.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by southern thunder

That has to be a job!

Against my better judgment, I used a razor blade scrapper and a heat gun. I really didn’t want to use the scrapper for the risk of cutting into the finish. However, it went well and I don’t think I could have gotten them off without using it. I kept the blade clean as possible and changed it twice. The heat gun seemed to help; it softened the area up a little before scrapping it off. Also with the sun beaming down on it through-out the day helped as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Bill - Bill and Cindy Daniels posted about using plastic razor blades. I ordered them and with a metal holder that I had for regular ones, it worked great. No scratching and they are cheap. The combination of adhesive cleaner and the blades worked well.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Razor-.../dp/B0020WVBG8
Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Well I guess you are never to old to learn something I have never seen a plastic razor blade seems like a great idea. I cleaned mine with paint thinner and it worked great but I new I was going to Clear coat mine. But the lacquer thinner worked fine on the glue and no problems.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I spent most of the morning & part of the afternoon yesterday trying to remove the remaining residue from where the graphics were. The part underneath where the “Montana” was located was externally difficult to get off where it had pealed along the edges and built up a wide layer of dirt and glue. You can see just how bad it was in the first picture. I haven’t completed it yet but I discovered that plain alcohol worked much better than the Goo Gone. It cut right into the problem area and made it much easier to get off. Shouldn’t take long to finish up when I get the chance.

I hadn’t heard of the plastic razor blade either, interesting!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
How cool. I got a full tool kit from the dealer when we bought our Monty that not only had a variety of tools, bits and other stuff, it came with a boatload of those plastic razors wrapped in a rubber band (except the color was black). I always wondered what they were for and have never used them. The rubber band got old and broke and now I have a lot of these plastic things flowing around the toolkit every time I carry it around but I still haven't thrown them away waiting for that "I'll probably need these for something some day" moment.

The moment has now come thanks to the MOC. After 6 years, the graphics are starting to peel with the Monty sitting on my driveway, mostly every day, in the hot sun, uncovered. And now I am not sure I'm happy or angry that this free tool kit from the dealer included the plastic razors because they knew I was going to need them for an impending graphics problem. I would have preferred they never became a problem but alas...

I also have decals on my truck bed and after 6 years they are not showing ANY problems. Keystone needs to consider the same procedure or paint the graphics on, because the current product and process sucks.

Is anyone else disappointed in how many topics in this forum are about graphics problems? I think it's ridiculous how much work Monty owners have to go through for something that should be fixed by the design team at the factory even if you get the replacement graphics free.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
There goes my plan!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kab449

Sorry corattler another thread states the Walmart greeters have gone to way of the dinosaur. Try burger flipping at McD's.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Bill, you can go to an automotive paint supply store and ask for an eraser wheel. 3M makes them, others too. I used one on my aluminum sided Jayco a couple of years ago. what little residue remains cleans up with good glass cleaner. I beats the heck out of any scraping.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #19
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BethandKevin

Bill, you can go to an automotive paint supply store and ask for an eraser wheel. 3M makes them, others too. I used one on my aluminum sided Jayco a couple of years ago. what little residue remains cleans up with good glass cleaner. I beats the heck out of any scraping.
Having the right "tool" for the job always makes the difference!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Well last weekend while out camping I got a couple of jobs done that I had put off on the camper. This was the other job I done. It went really smooth. I was going to put them on while out camping last Saturday. We had got there on Friday and sitting around the fire my wife told me I should be putting them on now. The sun was setting and it was close to the twilight time of the day. I actually started to put the rest of them on the front and believe it or not we "Got-R-Done.” The Montana Logo I put on in July while we were in MI. Wish I had a better photo of it but this is the only one I took after that.
They certainly went on much easier than they came off!