Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Tire Rotation

What is a reasonable price for tire rotation on a dually? Mine has the aluminum wheels, but I suspect only the four exposed wheels are such.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
It costs me a little bit of time and a little bit of sweat. When ever possible, I do all the maintenance on my truck, such as oil and fuel filters and tire rotation. Based on previous experience with the "pros" I don't want them touching my truck unless absolutely necessary.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Proper rotation will require dismounting and remounting, then balancing at least 4 of the six tires. I do not have the equipment nor the inclination to remount tires much less balance them.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Stiles, I charge 77.00 for dual aluminum rotate & balance. You are correct when you say 4 will have to be dismounted and remounted, as only one side of the factory aluminum wheels are polished. The side you can't see is a machine finish.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Stiles, Lonnie got it right. On my XLT the inside dual is a steel wheel. I imagine your King Ranch is the same. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I don't have aluminum wheels, thus no dismounting/remounting required. My comment about the "pros" was not intended to disparage any of the tire pros we have on this forum. I was referring to our locals with whom I have not had much luck.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Stiles,

I take my Duramax dually with valve extenders to Wally World. For a whopping $1.50 per wheel, they will rotate. That's a whole $9.00. I usually get an oil change at the same time, but have gone in just for the tire rotation. The hardest part for them is to re-install the valve extenders.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:I don't have aluminum wheels, thus no dismounting/remounting required. My comment about the "pros" was not intended to disparage any of the tire pros we have on this forum. I was referring to our locals with whom I have not had much luck.
No offense taken. My work speaks for itself, and I stand behind everything that rolls out of my shop.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Lonnie,

Hope to meet you in person, one of these days. From what I have read, you have integrity.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Lonnie,

Hope to meet you in person, one of these days. From what I have read, you have integrity.
Ain't that the truth. He has tons of INTEGRITY.
I have yet to meet Lonnie face to face either but someday you can bet I will. From everything of his that I HAVE read, concerning tires, he is exactly what I am referring to when I say "Reputable Tire Dealer".
My tire experience is from years of being in the tire business BUT my experience was some years ago. Lonnie's experience is very very current. This very thread is an example. I have no idea of current cost on tire rotation/balance, especially a dually, and therefore could not respond. when it comes to tires Lonnie can not only answer these today type questions but anything else that is out there today as well as the past.

TLightning, I take no offense either. My years of operating a very successful tire business speaks for me.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
stiles, I feel your pain, we have had those Aluminum wheel (Alcoa's) they are awesome for the looks. Had a set on a 3500HD and the Chevy 4500 they were 19.5's and most tire shops didn't like to swap those from rim to rim and was very expensive. The 3500HD we have now has steel wheels behind the plastic covers, yes I said plastic, looks ok GM chould have done better but I had rather have the trim ring which was on my 2007 Classic. Then GM went to the 17" wheel and I haven't been able to find them. And most all know who have the 4x4 option you have to keep them rotated. I do know people who DIY just rotate the Aluminum wheels front to rear and or X them, don't know how good it works? I will say I have had good luck with the Truck shops as in big trucks and think the Chevy 4500 rode the best by getting them balanced on the Truck. But they were Michelin tires which I think are the best road tire I have used. When and if I replace the OEM tires I will go with Michelin brand, just my choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Local shops (Goodyear and Ford Dealer's Quicklube/minor maint function) charge between 14 and 20 a wheel to balance and rotate on mine -- 14 for just a balance; 20 when they have to take the tire off and turn it around (Outlined white lettering); without doing that I end up with 2 tires blackwalled, 2 with white letters for 2 of 3 rotations. To be honest, since fuel prices have gone up so much I've been leaving it that way and I haven't really noticed it .

So, if my brain is working correctly, I'm paying a little over 90 dollars for rotation and balance. The balance is probably not really needed each time but I feel for the price of new tires, checking the balance each rotation is cheap insurance for potentially better / longer wear.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Originally posted by snfexpress
Quote:
quote: Lonnie,

Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine
Quote:
quote:Ain't that the truth. He has tons of INTEGRITY.
I have yet to meet Lonnie face to face either but someday you can bet I will. From everything of his that I HAVE read, concerning tires, he is exactly what I am referring to when I say "Reputable Tire Dealer".
My tire experience is from years of being in the tire business BUT my experience was some years ago. Lonnie's experience is very very current. This very thread is an example. I have no idea of current cost on tire rotation/balance, especially a dually, and therefore could not respond. when it comes to tires Lonnie can not only answer these today type questions but anything else that is out there today as well as the past.

TLightning, I take no offense either. My years of operating a very successful tire business speaks for me.
Thank you both for the kind words.

INTEGRITY, not really a big word, just nine letters of the alphabet, but one I hold dear, and something I will not compromise. Every person that works for me knows how I feel about this, and they all feel the same way. Once in awhile we get a bad apple in the mix, but it doesn't take the others long to straighten them out, or run them off, they won't tolerate inferior work.

Meeting any MOC member is always a pleasure, and I look forward to meeting you both one day.