Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Broken Foot!!

Our yellow Lab, Lacey started limping Friday afternoon, couldn't find any burrs or fox tails in her foot, by Sunday she was walking 3 legged. I took her to the vet this morning and her foot is broken in 3 places!! The strange thing is we don't have a clue how she hurt her foot. She will have to wear a cast for 6-8 weeks and I have to keep her quiet!! She is going to be really spoiled now. I had to leave her at the vet until this evening, because they have to give her anesthesia to cast her foot.

I have a question for all you pet lovers-Do any of you have pet insurance?? If so, what company do you use. I am going to look into insurance because one vet trip with an illness or accident is so expensive. Our girls are 9 years old now and who knows what ailments will occur in the future, even though they have both been so healthy to this point. I understand the insurance costs about $20.00 per month which is minimal compared to the cost for surgery or other accidents. Today will cost me $400.00 for the cast , Xrays, anesthesia, medication etc., then there are followup visits for the next 6-8 weeks and more xrays before the cast can come off. Whew, I'm tired just thinking about it.

Sharon

krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Poor fur baby! Before long Lacey will be hopping along with that broken limb all tucked in, it is amazing what they adjust to!

As far as the insurance, as with ANY insurance, read the policy real good before you lay out the $$

My one understanding of these policies is that they do NOT cover any pre-existing conditions. (Hmmmm, sounds like some people insurance I have heard of.)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Sharon, I am sorry to hear that. Luckily it is "easily" fixed!

We didn't have pet insurance on Little Bit. We had talked about it when she was younger, but you know, they aren't usually sick then. So we didn't get it. Then when she got sick and started going downhill last year, the money we put out was tremendous. Between ultrasounds, x-rays, blood work done weekly or more often, the medication, etc., etc. etc. it's a lot to dole out. I think we are going to look into insurance for Mr. Wilson. I'm heading to the vet tomorrow and I'm going to see what they have available.

Give Lacey an extra bone and a hug from me.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I cannot recommend any company, but I remember this one from when I was an Office Manger for a Veterinarian.

The site will give you SOME insight as to how the programs work. You do not get back 100% of vet fees.

VPI Pet Insurance

We have a veterinarian MOC'er. Maybe he can shed some light on this subject.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
So sorry to hear about Lacey,we just went through some recent medical problems with Maggie our chocolate. Thank God she's back to normal now,I guess she just needed some attention. As Carol said,Lacey's going to amaze you with those three other legs.
Give her some hugs for us and keep us informed.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Thanks for the well wishes, Lacey is clumping around on her cast(she looks like she has a peg leg), but she is using her bad leg which I guess is good to help the healing process. We are very thankful that this is easily fixed and is not life threatening, sorry if I sounded like I was complaining yesterday. Lacey is getting lots of TLC and of course we can't leave Prissy out so she is enjoying the extra attention too.

I am still looking at pet insurance, thank you for the suggestions. I am finding it is more expensive than I thought, especially for two dogs. I realize it will not cover expenses 100% but I am concerned about the future ailments or accidents that can cost $1000-$2000 or more.

Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Sharon,when you look into insurance check and see if there's certain breeds they won't insure.
As an example,Labs,because of the rear leg problem some have, some won't consider insuring them or that particular problem. As mention before,ours have had the four TPLO's and that was one surgery they wouldn't cover.That's one reason we never got insurance,it seem like all the expensive things we might need insurance for,they won't cover, at least that was our experience.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Sharon,

What complaining? I'm sure it was a shock on a shock between the "owie" and the bill! I know I was bowled over when it cost me $330 to "spring" Piccola this past Saturday. Medical expenses (for two or four legged family members) are quite a shocker without supplemental assistance. Trying to mitigate the out-of-pocket expenses associated with our four legged family members just makes sense!

Hope that Lacey's recovery is quick and complete!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote