Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Food & Treats from China

I am sure we all remember that horrible situation last year about the food from China that killed a lot of pets, both cats and dogs.

Well, it is not over yet folks, here is part of a warning I received from trusted friend and breeder:

"Please be aware that many Chicken Jerky treat brands that are manufactured in China have been making small dogs very ill along with killing them. Symptoms are: lethargy, vomiting, diareha, and anorexia (total lack of appetite except for the treats). To see this alert from the American Veterinarian Medical Association go to www.avma.org/ click on Pet Food Alert line and then click on Chicken Jerky Treat alert.)
Our two adorable Cavalier King Charles puppies, Lacie, 11 months, and Misty 7 months old, had been eating Smoke House Chicken Jerky treats from Petsmart on a daily basis (not as a supplement for their food, but as a treat after their evening meal). They both became very ill in July with the same symptoms, such as; lethargy, vomiting, diarrea, and anorexia (total lack of appetite except for the treats, which they loved and looked forward to). The test started showing signs of kidney failure which made no sense to the vets because Misty and Lacie are not related, and Kidney failure is rare with puppies. Both puppies received extensive care in the hospital along with test after test trying to figure out what was wrong with them. Vet bills started mounting up to over $9,000. Every meal had to be force fed except their nightly jerky treat which they got very excited about.
Mid September we found out about the AVMA warning, and immediatelty stopped giving them these treats, Our little seven month old Misty rallied and got better, but our sweet little Lacie never got better and this weekend our precious little 11 month old Lacie got much worse, and had to be put down at 5:30 last night."

It continues:

"I wish someone had warned us about this product. I thought this product was American made. Only after I saw the warning, did I see in small print on the bottom of the package, made in China."

Consider this post to be a gentle warning to be careful what you feed your kids.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Sherri48
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7532
Send a message via Yahoo to Sherri48
Carol,

Thx for the warning. I certainly will certainly pass this info on to those I know with pets. My daughter is a RVT (Registered Vet Tech), and I'm sure she's aware of this, but I will pass it on to her anyway.

I pray Misty continues to improve and her health will be completely restored.
Losing a pet is so hard and it breaks my heart to hear this very sad news. May you find comfort reflecting back on the loving memories and know that your precious Lacie is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thoughts and prayers as you go through this difficult time.

Sherri
Sherri48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Sherri

Thanks, I am not the owners of these dogs, but do know their pain, as we lost our Abby this fall, the ruler and mistress of all who came into her space. It is about 3.5 months and the pain is still fresh and raw.

We did not lose her to this type of situation, she had been going blind, and had an undiagnosed infection. After the infection was treated, we thought she was ok, but we came home one day and she was obviously on the way to the Rainbow Bridge.

Losing one is painful, as all of us that love em know. But to lose one to treats and dog food is just soooooo wrong!!

We pray for the owners of these two, and all that have lost a pet to this Chinese disaster.

Thank you for sharing this with whomever will benefit.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
How awful...as a long time pet owner it saddens me to no end that this is happening. It is so hard to lose a pet...I don't know how I'd handle it. I'd probably want to do something I shouldn't.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Sherri48
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7532
Send a message via Yahoo to Sherri48
Carol, I am truly sorry for misreading/misunderstanding your post.

While reading it, I must say I was instantly angered , and had I put down in type what my thoughts were, I'd no longer be a forum member.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who have lost their loved pets due to this. Our only solace is knowing that one fine day we will all be re-united with our precious pets at the Rainbow Bridge.

I truly hope all that read this will pass it on. I participate in a few forums, and rest assured I will be posting this, and also e-mailing it, in order to get the word out. In doing so, I pray more pets will be spared from this horrific tragedy.

Sherri
Sherri48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thank you Sherri for your kind PM, kind words here on the forum and for passing this on to other interested pet owners.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Thanks Carol for this information. I am going to post it to everyone I know with pets.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Carol -

Is your friend's dog Misty still doing okay? Sorry to hear that you lost Abby this fall. I have been spending some time in China this year and am surprised how many dogs there are over there despite the large populations. (Beijing alone has 17 million people).
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote