Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When repairs are required....

When repairs are required and you are fulltiming, how do you handle the situation? How do you protect your property? Do you unload everything while the rig is at the dealer?

I know some folks have had their units robbed while in repair. The unit was picked clean. It was possibly an inside job. Do you stay in the unit or go to a motel? What has been you own experience?

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Take any cash and jewelry and such with you. Never ever leave these kind of valuables, and I don't much care how well you think they are hidden, when total strangers will be in your rig with you not there. Remember, these service techs work on these rigs everyday and they know all the hiding places.
Most dealers will get your rig outside at night so that you may sleep in it but that does not eliminate day time employee theft which with any reputable dealer this theft is rarely a problem.
Keep an up to date photo or video record of the interior and exterior of the trailer and it's contents. Notify your dealer that you do have just such a record. Let him know that this information will protect him as much as it does you.
I have been very fortunate with both my Monty's as I have had only 1 situation that couldn't be fixed in one day and that was at the Keystone Center and we did sleep in the rig that night.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Stiles, I have had mine in for repair (shower leak) on two ocassions. On both I called ahead and made an appointment. They were one day repairs and although we took our valuables with us, what little we have, we did not worry about it. Maybe I should have. At CW in Burlington, I was there for 4 days and we slept in our rig at night and vacated during the day. Did not have any valuables then as they were installing them. In hindsight, I think what Glenn said makes good sense, as I now have a few valuables. It's hard to deny what is on camera.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Stiles,
Once we explain to the dealer that this is our home we are usually able to get repairs done without leaving the rig there for long periods and as Glenn said we take the valuables with us and the rest has to stay, what else could you do?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Guess we are too trusting. We probably have had 10-12 where the rig has been left overnight or where we couldn't we couldn't watch it. We don't leave much cash and it is usually foreign currency and not much jewelry, but have a laptop, cameras, etc. We just leave it and nothing has ever been taken.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:19 AM   #6
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
As long as we let them know we are living in it and that we have photo's of all, we've never had a problem. We do take any valuables out and for the most part, anything left is replaceable. Keeping fingers crossed, we've not had any issues.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote