Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
kjtogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #6667
Light Switch

The last time we went out, the light switch that controls the ceiling fan and light quit working. The switch is somewhat different than a regular wall light switch. We found and installed a replacement from the local hardware store without significant problems. It is the same type of switch that is used over the bathroom sink. Has anyone else had this problem?

kjtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The RV industry uses a different type of device for the 110VAC. Not sure if it's just cheaper, easier to install, or what. The outlets are the same way. I think the usual failure is the way the wires connect to the device.

The only problem I have converting them to standard devices is a standard device really should have an electrical box behind it, and it's not always easy to get one to fit in the shallow walls. The RV type devices have a built in electical enclosure.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 AM   #3
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Brad,
How are these switches attached to the wall? Mine have no visible screws, so I assume they must just pop off somehow, but I'm afraid I'll break something if I try that.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

The switchplate just snaps on, so if you pull at the top and bottom, they snap off. Behind the cover plate, the device itself has two screws in opposite corners the secure the device to the wall. (each screw has a flip out wing that runs up behind the wall like a "remodel" electrical box).

To check the wiring connections, you have to push in 4 tabs on the side of the device and the whole thing comes apart.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
KJTOGO,
Our fan switch is acting up right now. It will not stay on so we are using duct tape when we want to turn it on. Our switch is integrated into the panel with the out door and cieling lights as well as the switch for the slides so I have hesitated to take it off and try and play with it. Can you provide any information on the replacement switch you found that worked?

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks Brad. I had to pull pretty hard, but it popped off just as you said.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
kjtogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #6667
We were able to pop ours out with a regular screw driver. We found a replacement at the local hardware store. It looks very similar to the original, just heavier duty and without the box. We attached the new one with the screws that came with the new switch into the existing holes. We double taped the connectors and exposed terminal screws since there is not box. This was a quick fix that got our fan going on a hot weekend. We anticipate the one in the bathroom going next, that's why we wanted to see what others have done. Our's still works great.
kjtogo is offline   Reply With Quote