Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Montana_6455

M.O.C. #6455
Main awning problems

I have a 2004 3295r.k. and have a battle with the offset awning. It will not roll up even. after rolling in back up to the camper, the front end of the awning(front of the camper)will not close, there is a gap of at least 8 ins. I have to get a step ladder and manually close the end and then tie it up to prevent it from unrolling. I have also tried pulling the fabric back on the roll towards the back of the camper, this helps, but it only very temporary. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times, and they claim, it cannot be fixed to roll up porperly, an engineering problem.

any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

sincerely

jim

Montana_6455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
It sounds to me like they let one side of the awning spring release its tension when they installed it to you trailer you might be able to take it loose on that side and wind more tension into it but be careful it will unravel if you don't keep hold of it I have done it to our last 5'er and fixed pretty much the same problem but really watch it it will unwind fast if your not holding it just wind it up like a watch the tighter you make it the better it will close on that side your dealer should know this but am guessing they don't want to mess with it good luck hope this helps a little
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Jim,

I think you might want to try a different Dealer. The awnings are adjustable at both ends. It sounds as if you may need more tension added to the spring on the loose end.

I have adjusted mine on a couple of our Trailers. It's not a difficult job but if you havn't done it before it can be kind of dangerous.

They use the same principal as most garage doors. The spring is wound up in opposet directions.

If I were close to SA I would love to help you out.

Best of Luck
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
When we bought our '04' 3295RK the awning was all wrinkled when rolled up, the dealer tried adjusting it several times with no luck, they told me that it was that way on 3295RK's. To make a long story short, I contacted the awning mfgr and they had the dealer measure the awning and it was out square, so they sent a new one and it is a lot better. Still wrinkles a little sometimes, with awning out I slide the material on the roller either forward or aft and that helps straighten it out.
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:53 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Our previous TT had a sheet metal screw next to the fabric in the channels at each end to prevent it from moving forward and aft. Once I got mine straight where it would roll up correctly, I added a screw at each end top and bottom - no more fabric sliding.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote