Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2005, 04:09 AM   #1
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
Should Water Pump Be This Noisy?

We picked up our 2006 2955RLS last Saturday and love it. The only thing I question is how loud the water pump is and the way the water seems to pulse when coming out of the faucet.

Can anyone tell me if this is typical?

My only experience is with our '76 Wilderness which had a very quiet pump and steady flow.

Jan

Colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 AM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
No, the water pump shouldn't make much noise or vibrate. We had a similar problem on our new 2980, and took it back to the dealer for warranty work. They insulated and isolated the water lines in the wall behind the shower and re-mounted the water pump. It's better, although not great. I think I'll get in there and see what I can do.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Colden

Welcome to the forum. Try a search (see top of page) and see if you don't come up with some previous threads, if not, go to the home page, look around each section via the Archives (see yellow on far right of screen).

Yep, they are noisy, there are a lot of fixes posted in previous threads. Still will be noisy, but hopefully not as bad.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:04 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The pump on our 10 year old Terry TT is insulated from the floor by rubber shocks.It hums but does not vibrate throughout the entire camper.Our friends just got a 3670 and the pump vibrates the entire camper.We could not find the pump to investigate, sounds like it is somewhere near the steps leading up to the bathroom, perhaps under the tub.Does anyone know for sure how the pump is mounted.My guess is that it is sloppy installation and poor placement..Again another question for our factory tour..We are compiling a bunch of embarrassing questions..we may get thrown out..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Our pump was that noisy. We replaced it with the Shurflo Extreme Series Smart Sensor 5.7 varable speed pump that delivers over 5.5 gallons per minute and pressure up to 65 psi. There is no rapid cycling which is the pulsing sound that you hear with the clicking. If you do a search you will find a thread about this pump. If you do get it, let me tell you it isn't as easy to install as the person said. First locate the pump. Ours was on the street side of the basement. You will see the panel on the right hand side. Unscrew that panel. The pump is in there. I had to get up in there and do some of the work as Pauls hands aren't as small as mine. The fittings that they used are called Flair-it fittings. Here is the website.
http://www.flairitwest.com/
Here is the website to camping world where we got the pump. It was on sale when we bought it.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...fm?prodID=3930
We can take a shower and run the water in the kitchen at the same time without having the pressure drop. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathi

[...] If you do get it, let me tell you it isn't as easy to install as the person said. [...]
I'll agree to that. It was a royal pain in the @#$#@ to swap out. But Mary Lou and I both think it was well worth the while. The original was so noisy that the pump would wake her up if I ran water in the kitchen early in the morning....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Because of this thread I remembered that I wanted to see if I could get the pump to be quieter. It was really bad. Guess what I found. Down line from the pump there were 2 hard plastic elbows rubbing on the frame. Put padding. Still a little vibration but the loud banging is gone.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Colden, we have a three year old 2955RL and we still love it. Carol and others are right, the pump is a bit noisy and it does 'pulse' when in use. We have simply become accustomed to it and it does not bother us any more. As other replies on this thread have pointed out, many have undertaken to isolate the pump from the trailer frame and some have used foam or other materials. I'm sure that helps. The only real solution probably is to replace with a quieter pump, installed for maximum isolation. For us, it is easier to live with what we have. This is one of those personal decisions which must be made depending upon individual preference and tolerance.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Our pump is noisy also, I have insulated and isolated all the water lines that I can reach and it is still to noisy for our liking. I am going to consider changing out the pump with a quieter one, but just hate to throw away a working pump.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:43 PM   #10
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
DHenry, we just took our old pump and put it into the garage for our next garage sale. Must be worth about 50 cents, don't you think? Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We did the foam insulation thing, and we did the carpet and padding under the pump thing, did not do the one with the flexible hose. We are OK with the results, considering that we don't use the pump all that often. Mostly when we are traveling and on the occasion we get into a park with no water hookups. Just spent 15 days at the lake with no water hookups, used the pump, managed to make 60 gallons (plus an extra 5 we put in) last 15 days, so, you know we were not running the pump all that often. Most of the time we are lucky enough to have water hookups, so we live with it. IF we did a lot of boondocking, then we might consider a new and quieter pump. Another one of those personal choice items, as padredw says.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #12
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
We have an '05 2955RL. Had a problem with noise and pulsating, extra aeration at the galley sink. I found the lines going from the supply pipe to the fixture itself, (actually a fixed part of the fixture) were both crimped from when the coach was built for some reason. Dealer ordered a new faucet assembly and replaced under warranty.....helped a lot. Found another coach on the lot with the same problem when investigating my complaint.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:18 AM   #13
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
On our 3350 the pump is under the entertainment center. I found it was quite noisy so I left a tap running so that the pump would run and moved all the pipes to see what difference it would make. I found that most of the noise was from the cold water line running from the pump through the wall and into the storage area on it's way to the bathroom and washer hookup. The noise was caused by the pipe vibrating against the plastic finish ring as it went through the wall. As the gap between pipe and ring was only about 1/8" and left little room for insulation, I simply found the place on the pipe where lifting it slightly would keep it from hitting the finish ring. Then I took a tiny bungy cord and hung the pipe so it wouldn't hit. So far it works fine.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:03 AM   #14
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
We have a 2005 2950RK. We too have a very noisy water pump which did not provide proper flow. We just dropped off our rig for warranty work and this was high on our list of issues. Friends with new rigs have experienced the same problem and are taking their rigs in to have this problem fixed. All of us have different 2005 models.
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #15
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Colden,
My 2955RL did not have the rubber bushings/pad under the pump, it was screwed directly to the floor. As indicated earlier, there was one hard plastic ells rubbing against the floor.....put rubber padding under the pump and ell and that did help. The water supply line coming from the fresh water tank to the pump was also rubbing against other lines etc. Some have purchased a accumulator tank from Home Depot and installed with very good results. Good luck!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #16
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I replaced our pump with the 5.7 gpm pump a couple of weeks ago. It seemed to cut the noise about in half. I bought the special fittings offered by the manufacturer, that adapt the pump input/output to 1/2" reinforced plastic tubing, of course I got the wrong ones, straight instead of the elbow. I didn't need any other fittings by using them. I also moved the converter to beneath the steps to the bedroom. I plan on keeping the old pump to use if I need to transfer water from a can to the watertank. We camped one time, 10 days, way out, that only had a hand pumped well for water.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote