Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
Phil Eyler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9197
level-up while hooked up

I have a question I've never seen asked on this forum. Can you use the level-up system while your fifth wheel is hooked to the truck? I've never tried it, but it seem that it might work. Anybody tried it?

Phil Eyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
jasonreaume
Established Member

M.O.C. #17160
Yes, it will work while hooked up to your truck.
jasonreaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
ALSAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12193
DO NOT DO IT in leveling the front of the coach will drop quite a lot and there is the good chance there will be damage to the tow rig all ways unhook and pull away to level. Now if you just are in a place overnite ie....walmart , truck stop. You can lower just the front legs to stabilize the rig
There is a y-tube video that shows how it works
ALSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep ALSAN is spot on ,like he said you can put it in manual mode and do the front legs to steady it overnight but that is it
Old 04-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Why would it hurt tow vehicle? I pull my front jacks all the way up when I tow. I've used Levelup without unhooking, just have to be sure trailer is near level,
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Not a good practice to auto level while hooked up
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
When hooked up there is no chance the auto level will harm the TV or hitch in it's initial downward movement. We tow the things thousands of miles with the weight on the hitch so that is not a concern. The lowering of the front end is part of the level up process and if it cannot lower itself because you are hooked up then it might not level properly, have never tried it. However if you were low on the front end of the RV prior to leveling it would then require the front of the RV to be raised to achieve level perhaps beyond what you would even need to unhook, that would not be a normal condition and would put upward strain on the hitch, not something you want since they are designed to carry weight not to lift the truck up.

If you feel you want the additional stability from the 6 point level up while still hooked up then get as level as possible and then put it in manual mode and lower all six jacks to be in contact with the ground.

I would not say "do not do it" nor would I say it is safe to do it, if you must then be aware of what is happening with everything that has to take place to realize a level position.

JMHO

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's not going to hurt the tow vehical, but it will cause the computer to error out and stop the process. It will do it as soon as it feels the obstruction (truck) under it. Some have had problems then getting the computer reset and going right again. You can put up to all four down manually, however with no problem.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
It won't hurt the truck. We tow with the legs fully retracted, right? How's that any different. But, I just use manual until it's stable for the night.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #10
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
After three years of using the system, and witnessing some "failed leveling situations", I say " not good idea".
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Sooner or later you will find out if the system can lift the rear of your truck off of the ground. If you think that's a good thing, go for it. If not, use manual mode only.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:56 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, my opinion on our third unit with the Level-Up system. I would not atempt to use the Auto-Level feature while hooked up, but I do use the Manul Mode, but it only works if the site is fairly level to begin with. Many times I just put down the Front Landing gear to take just a little weight off the TV for the night, but other times I'll use the back jacks to raise the rear of the unit if it's low, but watch the front at the same time, if you try to bring the back up too much the front will also try to raise.
So it can be done, but you just have to watch what you're doing and just take it slow and easy.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 AM   #13
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
One morning while hooking up getting ready to break camp, I accidently hit Auto Level instead of Enter for Auto Retract. Here is what happened:

- Since I was already hooked up to the truck the jacks retracted to get to an initial nose down position.
- When the weight was fully on the truck and the front landing gear left the ground, the front jacks continued to retract until they were hit the stops.
- The pump continued to run until the 80 AMP circuit breaker tripped.
- No power to the Level-Up system.
- This circuit breaker is located against the rear wall of the front storage area. With the power removed from the Level-Up system I could not unhook the truck for access and I had a hell of a time pulling stuff out of the front storage area to get to the circuit breaker.
- Once I reset the circuit breaker, I was able to get the front legs back on the ground, unhook and re-stow everything.

I have since moved the circuit breaker so I have access to it without pulling everything out of the front storage area. Just in case I do this again.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Wow is all I have to say. I wouldn't use level up while hooked up after watching it work there are to many thing that could go wrong. It only takes one of them to kill a great trip.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:08 AM   #15
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Boat391, I'm with you on this one! And, a few others on this thread. The instructions clearly state to unhook and move the tow vehicle safely away from the unit before using auto level-up feature. With all the talk and concern for frame flex and upper deck issues, there is no way in heck I would attempt this!!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:04 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do what the instruction say. We also use auto mode as I like to push a button and watch.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 AM   #17
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
I also am of the school of follow the instructions, and thus unhitch and move the truck.
lostshakerofsalt: do you have pictures of your moved circuit breaker and where you move it to for access when hitched that you can post (here or on FB - Montana RV Owners Group)?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote