Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
front frame where the king pin is conected

How can a person tell weather the frame of the trailer is damaged or have a stress crack in it, with out tearing apart the outer skin around the king pin.
I noticed that the drawers have shifted and the mirror sliding door to the closet is now out of square by a good 3/4" top to bottom if I slide it over to the street side of the closet it is square on that side. I noticed that some of the trim molding has poped from the top or ceiling almost a foot back twords the center of the closet.
any sugestions or thoughts would be appreaceated.
Thanks,
Don.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I believe that is the only way to check, pulling off the skin on the underside of the bedroom.

You have to look at the frame, the sidewall welds, that sort of thing.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
Don,
I have the same Model 2980RL and when getting ready to take a extended trip I had moved the trl. and when unhooking forgot the electrical plug. The end result was a dead short from the 12 volt side that melted a lot of wiring in the overhang and into the trl. The mechanic I called came out and started to trace the wires and the first thing he did was to pull the skin out from under the overhang by the kinpin. He had to replace a lot of wire in different locations but but the job of removing the skin was quite simple and it went back on very quickly.
I also think you should remove the skin to get a good look at all the welds and feel that you will find what is causing your problem.
Wishing you luck and keep us posted on what you find.

Al Olson aka "Kountry Traveler"
kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks everybody, I have made an appointment for the first week in November. with a repair shop other than Mike Thompson RV and 30.00 per houh less also ( MT $115.00 ) ( Cal Western $80.00 ) per hour.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
jimkottke
Established Member

M.O.C. #4164
This is how I found out that something was wrong with my Big Shy 2005. Last year when we arrived in Texas the fifth wheel was riding on my truck rails. Took 3 weeks of calling Keystone and Lippert to fix the I beams which had to be replaced. If you need more info let me know. The hole thing was a nightmare. Jim
jimkottke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Jim.
I called my insurance company and have filed a claim, it's in a RV shop now being taken apart for inspection of the adjuster and approval it will be about 3 weeks before it will be completed according to the service manager. I also have managed to crack the galley tank which is also on the claim. wow what a mess. I sure wish there was a way to make the claim to the State for bad roads.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Sorry to hear about the issues with the frame hope thing get fixed right. Don I feel the best thing I've done to help guard against frame damage was when I put the air bag pin box on the trailer. Sure you've read much about them here, there is no need to add them to your post. Best of luck!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote