Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hwy Conditions

Hi Everyone The DW is not wanting to go back to the Grand Canyon, Management has changed. So we have been in contact with Sequioa Natl Park. When I was looking on their site. They said anything over 22 feet should take 180 east. So My question is has anyone out there been up to Lodge pole and how bad are the curves. Our 3485SA is 36 or 37 feet can it make the trip. The Human Resources person told us last season a couple pulling one of our size, had Transmission trouble. She did say it was a smaller truck. I have the 07 Dodge 6.7 it has 59,000 mile on it. I will be having the Transmission serviced this month or next. Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We were there two years ago. Didn't camp there but wish we had. There is more than one way to get there. The road for 22 feet and shorter... you can't get Monty thru there. IMHO.
The other way in is steep and has some pretty tight curves in it. But we saw some 30+ feet campers up there. It would be a strain on the equipment but if power train and brakes are in good shape, you should be okay. Just take it slow both ways. Also you can't be too afraid of heights as the road has some narrow places, close to the edge. IMHO.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I only know of Hwy 198 into Sequoia/Lodgepole and from the south it's not possible. To get to Hwy 198 you must come in from the north via way 180. Then turning right and south onto Hwy 198 for about 25 miles to get there.

The bigger problem you are going to have is the campground. The sites are 20 x 35 and for some sites that's a stretch with trees, limbs and stuff like that. Then there's your slideouts too. It will be difficult to maneuver your 45-50 ft rig around the campground. Most Sequoia campgrounds are in the same boat. Most visitors with large rigs, stay outside the park and visit day to day. But with fuel costs this could be pricey.

I wouldn't go there with the rig because of trying to fit the rig into the campsites. Then you still need to find a place to park the truck. Maybe you can get 2 adjacent sites.

I don't know if the timing is going to be good but I'm planning to be in that area in July. If I make the trip, maybe I'll swing by the campgrounds and see what they look like, take pictures, etc. (no trailer, going on a backpack).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We stayed at a KOA in Visalia. It is quite a drive but nice people there.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Art The Human Resources gal told me the employee park is big enough for 40 foot trailers they have four of them that size. They have seven total for workers. Its just behind the Wuksachi Lodge. Sounds like a very steep and narrow road. I think we may beg off the job there and maybe visit some time in the future.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote