Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Fasten this!

Carpenters, skilled trades, handy-dads, skip this one.
There are many who are smart enough to earn money using their heads instead of hands, my hat is off to you, and this is to pay homage to you.
It is a little information on fasteners that may save you some frustration when sticking something on a wall sometime.
I do this for a living and wanted to share some tips.
HEY! I told you carpenter guys to skip this, go build something.

Hit slide-show and click on 7 or 8 seconds

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13...eat=directlink

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ozz,
People need to understand that the screw-in anchors are not to be used in ceilings, only on walls.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good call, I mentioned hanging weight with a wall in mind, but that may be mis-understood to include ceiling.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Ozz,
People need to understand that the screw-in anchors are not to be used in ceilings, only on walls.
Jim
What? I was at the hotel DW works at. I do a little special project or two for the GM occasionally, and was lifting the suspended ceiling panels up to look at a smoke exhaust fan for the bar. Oops, that dang exit sign nearly fell. I checked, and it was just suspended with self tapping screws in the acoustic ceiling panel. I can just not believe the quality of the work that some "experts" do.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Will, those of us who work with fasteners day in and day out take much for granted, we just know.
Many who have not worked with tools and such, have not been exposed to the many different ways of fastening and the different materials we fasten to.
My little tutorial was for those folks. I imagine many MOC members wouldn't ask for help because it seems so basic, but it is far from basic.
That 'Expert' really had no clue, but it is something that can be learned.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Hey OZZ, there is another type of screw for concrete that you may have or not used. One brand name is Tap-Con. Others make them too. I installed several hundred of them when I was working. You drill a pilot whole then drive screw in. Be sure you set the torque limit on your driver/drill or you strip them out. My favoret drill for this was my 18v Dewalt hammer drill. Just thought I would my .02 worth. Have a good day.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
John, yes they are good. I thought about including them, but this was a help for people who do not know much about fasteners. These folks would not have a hammer drill, or adjustable clutches on drills, so I did not want to confuse people.
This would be a good 'advance course', so maybe some day I will do something on Concrete.
Thank you for expressing interest and sharing your experiences.
I didn't know if anyone even read these tutorials.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Will, those of us who work with fasteners day in and day out take much for granted, we just know.
Many who have not worked with tools and such, have not been exposed to the many different ways of fastening and the different materials we fasten to.
My little tutorial was for those folks. I imagine many MOC members wouldn't ask for help because it seems so basic, but it is far from basic.
That 'Expert' really had no clue, but it is something that can be learned.
OZZ, the post you put up was great. I for one appreciate the effort you go to with the slide shows.

These are the lighted exit signs, so I'm assuming an electrician down here installed them (or his helper did). I'm thinking they knew better, but were too lazy to mount them differently. It is just so hard to get quality work done now days.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, the ones you called 'spin ins' work very well for me. I've hung some things on these thin Montana walls I no way thought would stay in place but this Montana is 4 1/2 years old and they're still tight as the day I installed them. And those augur anchors are what I used. I found them a lot easier than drilling larger holes for the toggle bolts. And I'm still amazed at how well they augur anchors are holding.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Great primer thanks for posting...these seem light-weight for the guy that used the chain saw to install the bathroom window.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Ozz--Great primer. I have used many of these items around my stick house and will get started on more of my Montana "special projects" with your info. I am assuming the inside wall thickness on a Montana is generally 1/8 inch plywood--??? Good assumption??
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

Ozz--Great primer. I have used many of these items around my stick house and will get started on more of my Montana "special projects" with your info. I am assuming the inside wall thickness on a Montana is generally 1/8 inch plywood--??? Good assumption??
Ha! Plywood is a generous description. Anything mounted to the inside wall with any real weight should have a wood backing attached to the wall and the heavy item secured to the wood backing for more strength. The spin-in's can work well also with some items. It just depends on what you are mounting. Good luck with it.