Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
2010 Trailer Life CG Software

I just received the 2010 Trailer Life CG Software (Good Sam Club) and installed it. My older version was 2007 and on first glance, I will say I like the new version. One thing they fixed that I noticed immediately was the zoom in-out slide. On the 07 version, it was backwards to every form of mapping software known to man. What were they thinking back then? Maps look nicer and include zip codes, which is kind of neat. I haven't gotten in to the nuts and bolts of the software yet, but it looks promising.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Thanks for the update. I'm waiting for mine to come and was wondering if it was any good.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I have the 2009 and ordered the 2010 CD when I ordered the campground directory, which came back in mid December but no CD. I have called twice with the second call promising delivery by 2/16. I like the CD and rarely use the book. Very convenient to see the maps and surrounding campgrounds at the same time. I must be missing something trying to use the book and a separate map, takes me forever.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
interested in hearing the analysis of the '10 CD. I have the '07 version now. Wish they would finally get Mac compatable.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Do most people use the book AND the CD or just one or the other?
Thanks.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Longwell

Do most people use the book AND the CD or just one or the other?
Thanks.
Larry
I use the cd. I take a laptop with me when we travel with the program installed on it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I map out where I am going and check out campgrounds with the computer. But when we are on the road and try to find the campground, I look up the directions in the book and don't have to start up the computer.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Put me down as one who wears belt and suspenders--oh, no! I meant CD and book. I do so because I enjoy planning almost as much as I do traveling. I can spend weeks on my computer planning a trip before we leave. I can look at all kinds of alternatives. The CD program is great for that.

On the road, when we have to make a last minute decision on where to stay, I holler for Shirley to "get the book!" so we can see what the possibilities are for the night.

I also use the CD program (actually on the hard drive by now) to make revisions and to make more definite plans for next days' travel.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My book is the GPS system in my TV. I plan my trips using TLDC2008, then (manually) enter the waypoint and destination points into the truck's GPS. Bringing my laptop along with the planned map, they usually match up about 99% of the time. I can also set up the GPS with points of interest along the way from restaurants, rest stops or even specific locations of Walmarts if I want. I can say we are paperless/bookless/pageless now. Whatever works.

Like Dave and Shirley we can make modifications not just at night but we have been known to change course during the day during a reststop and we get an idea of some kind. So even our spontaneity can be planned out in an organized manner. We took the swamp out of the "swamp-foxing" if you know what I mean.

On edit: before I upgrade TLDC, I'll be PMing Tom about it with some specific questions that I hope they fixed in the newer version.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Book, program on hard drive, surf the net with air card while on the road and have even used GoogleEarth to get a scope of the campground. Have had ALL of the above going at the same time.

Al and I have taken to NO plans, they don't seem to pan out much these days, and so, we hit the road when we can, with a general route and destination in mind. Then we punt the rest of the day, some days we think we will get 300 miles, are we are lucky to get 150. Sometimes due to weather we will stop early and stay put for 2 or 3 days.

Having Book, program on computer, air card and internet on the fly available, Streets & Trips AND Google Earth, allows us to change our minds at 1-ish and land somewhere within the hour (or 2, or 3, or - - - -)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's nice to hear. I still use my 2007 version but with the bad economy having tanked some rv parks I suspect I should update to a later version. The 2007 version is, in my opinion, kind of clunky to use although it serves the purpose. I'm glad to hear the new one is better.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
schorrp
Established Member

M.O.C. #10068
Hello! This is the first time we've purchased this software and I'm beginning to warm up to it. Initially I wasn't able to plan a trip with an overnight stay. But I went out to the website and uploaded the available service pack and it took care of the problem. So if you're having that issue, go out to the website and get the upgrade. This will be the first year we've used this software and appreciate everyone's input on how they use it while on the road. We are newbies...only had our RV for a year...but are looking forward to using this software on the road.
schorrp is offline   Reply With Quote