Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Repairing body damage

We finally joined the "blowout" club last Friday as we towed our Monty North to Vermont. It happened suddenly, with a loud bang, but the Monty performed beautifully without as much as a shake or a swerve. We pulled over to the side of the highway and Good Sam ERS took great care of us and put us back on the road very quickly. The only problem is that there was some body damage (of course) to the skirting just forward of the door on our 2955RL. The guy fixing our tire had to trim some of the sheet metal away to keep it from rubbing the tires.

What is the best way to attack the repair of this damage. Should we call our dealer first or perhaps Keystone first????? Any thoughts on the best way to start the ball rolling on getting this fixed??? We have Foremost insurance with a $500 deductible but I don't think they cover this kind of damage anyway (could be wrong on that).

Thanks in advance for always giving the best info on the internet.

Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
When I dinged mine, I called the dealer...he said call a boat repair facility (if fiber glass).
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Our regrets on the damage...especially if you were towing to Vermont. I was born in Barre VT...anyway...haven't had to use our insurance yet, but if I'm paying a premium, I guess I would call Foremost and find out what they can do? Check out all options to include those you mentioned, i.e. dealer or keystone as well. Good Luck. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Pete, I might get an estimate from the dealer first, then, if feasible call the insurance company. Damages may not be as much as your deductible. Personally, I hate to turn in a claim unless it is financially feasible.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Most dealers in my area do not do repairs. My dealer said to go to an auto body shop. Although the auto body shop works on fiberglass dually fenders, he does not do RVs and told me to go to a boat repair facility specializing in fiberglass. Not cheap, but did a nice job.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I would ask my dealer if he/she could recommend a good repair shop. Normally, they have a pretty good knowledge of those types of things and will readily give you that information. When I needed some body work done, I was heading eastward and eventually would be in Goshen. So I called Keystone, Team Montana, and they recommended a great shop in Goshen, D & T RV Repair. They did a marvelous job! Where ever you are going to be, a recommendation from another business (your dealer, for example) is great.

As someone else has already said, I would get an estimate before going to my insurance company. Your repair may be less than your deductible.

Just my opinion.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Not sure if you are near a camping world but I believe that alot of the camping worlds now have body shops. probly not going to find anyone else that knows rv's as well as they do. Good luck and hope you get on the road soon.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Call your insurance first so they have record of the incident. Then go to the dealer or repair shop and get an estimate. Then make your decision as to whether you use the insurance or not. If it is damage to the metal strip, it can be repaired easily. Also check underneath for any hidden damage. They can order the part from Keystone or they may have one on hand. It takes about 2 weeks to get the part, depending on what part of the country you are in. Some places will charge for an estimate but will deduct it from the cost if you use them for the repair. Been there and done that!!! Good luck.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote