Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
OnStar

OnStar will be incorporating a shut down signal in the aid to police in theft of stolen vehicles. They will report via GPS positioning the location of the vehicle and upon police notification will shut the vehicle down.

As Fox reported, "We have come a long way from the "Club.""

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That's a measure of vehicle security that we haven't had in previous years. Further, I guess they could shut you down should the police want the owner to be stopped. Hmmmmm.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Yes it's one of the things you have to put up with. with all advances there are always ways to abuse the positives.

Stiles atleast we have GM to mess with our trucks. Ford in all its wisdom went to the MOST HACKED company out there MS. Thus the Ford owners may be "attacked" by hackers just messing around with MS. I hope it never comes to this as it will be a complete downfall for Ford.
Chuck
PS isn't technology great?
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent. Kudos to GM for this.

Somehow I doubt the MS system for Ford is any more hackable than OnStar or any other online system. Just because MS builds it doesn't make it identical to Windows. But, someday hackers will find ways to access the auto systems. They always go after the systems with the most users. So, GM would likely be the target of first choice.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I asked on star about this and they said they couldn't do this for liability resons,like shutting the vehicle down in a dangerous location,like,intersections,railroad crossing,bridges etc.But I like the idea.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Garyka,
Whoever you talked to at on-star didn't really know what they were talking about, or more likely the depth of the details. If the police are in contact with on-star and tell them when to shut it down - it will be shut down. That is the only scenario right now that is being reported on. Using GPS, On-Star can locate the vehicle for the police. Then, when the police intercept, they can alert On-Star to shut the vehicle down. No more long pursuits on freeways in the wrong direction.

With all that being said, and the discussion on security, the thieves will surely find a work around.

My security mind things of several possibilities. Example, break the antenna off of cut the antenna cable going to the receiver. Or for the more sophisticated criminals, a jamming signal for the On-Star, or any other systems, frequencies.

There are three types of criminals in the world. There is the smart criminal and he has a lot of many and doesn't get put in jail. There is the average criminal and he goes to jail occasionally, and then there is the dumb criminal. He is the one that is in the prison system now. He's the one that drive through a convenience store window front, hooks a chain up to the ATM machine, and tries to pull the machine out of the store, only to have his bumper come off, so he flees the scene. Yes, you get the picture, the license plate is on the bumper

I was hit and run while I was doing 50mph on my motorcycle on 7/7/7 (Don't ask me to buy you a lottery ticket - I'm not lucky) and the next day they knocked on his door with his licence plate in hand. My bike had pulled it off the front bumper. Is he dumb? Yes, for failure to stop and render aid and leaving the scene of an accident. He is not pending 4-20 in the penal system and I hope he gets the 20.

Dumb @(#*$& crooks!

Editied: Sorry, just venting.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I know someone who works in engineering at GM. That feature already exist. GM has been considering using that feature to disable your vehicle from starting for those that are behind on their payment if it is through GM.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote