Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #21
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I'm not sure it is a "must have", but we recently broke down and bought an aluminum one from Camping World. We had previously managed quite well without one, but it does make a difference. The aluminum ones are quite a bit lighter, and were on sale at the time we bought ours.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:38 AM   #22
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have the Splendide W/D in the front corner of my 2955RL and it is a very quiet machine but when it goes into the spin cycle, it does shake the trailer. The tripod helps a lot.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #23
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Phyllis and I broke down and ordred the
splendide in our new 3400 (soon to be delivered) I also ordered a set of plug it right stabilizers bars. I think from the geometry of the bars that this will eliminate most if not all of the shaking that goes on when the trailer is being walked in, or the dryer is in spin.
I alos use another set of arm stabilizers right behind the wheels, an they help a lot on the 3280, I took them off in anticipation of the 3400 and will reinstall them on it when we get it. Without the stabilizers I feel like I'm walking on a trampoline
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #24
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have the Tri-pod king pin support and the Roto Chocks. Both help and I think the Roto Chocks are great. However I picked up two jack stand type supports at Camping world, they are the screw type adjustment and I place them just behind the rear wheels after set up.. I adjust them up very tight (hand tight) and I believe it has done more to take out the movement than the Tri-pod King pin support. I will be moving the 5er off our site for a few days to have a cover put over the parking area. Will leave the King pin support off for a few days and see how much difference it makes... But the new Splendide Ariston has different settings for the spin cycle and doesn't shake the 5er near as much as the Splendide combo unit.... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:52 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bean, I think this is a personal preference nice to have but not necessary item. If in doubt, start without it and maybe later you'll decide to get one.

It does help with stabilization. It reduces the movement in the rig. But it does not eliminate it.

I have used both the bipod and the tripod and can't see any difference in results.

We only set ours up if we'll be some place for a week or more. It's just one more thing I have to do to set up and break down so we don't bother for less than a week. Just my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:49 AM   #26
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We wouldn't even consider carrying that huge piece of metal/aluminum.

IMHO, this is a personal preference for space, but also, take in mind that some people are not bothered by a little wobble.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OKJ, here's what I'm looking at. Have been in this 3400 for 9 months. I have no pin stabilizer, no JT/PlugItRight stabilizers and no Rotochocks. I am considering all three of these, (aluminum tripod for weight). Will this be overkill?

I have jack stands in front of the axles (one on each side) that help a little, but I can very easily feel the wife turn over in bed when I am sitting in the LR in my recliner. And she can feel every step I take. We have been tolerant so far of this, but it is getting ready to be an issue that will be addressed.

Most of our movement seems to be forward-backward movement - not up/down or side/side motion. My first thought is that the bipod will not stop this front/back movement - unless the legs are placed parallel to the 5ver's length, which I have never seen done. A tripod would seem to be a better defense for 360 degree movement...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

... But the new Splendide Ariston has different settings for the spin cycle and doesn't shake the 5er near as much as the Splendide combo unit.... GBY....
Great! Glad to here this as we are planning on getting the Ariston w/d.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #29
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I love the tri-pod and the screw wheel chocks ,, its stops all the away when you come a nocking
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I don't want to know...
Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #31
Rockerdude
Established Member

M.O.C. #6837
I've had my tri-pod for the past 3 5er's we've had and don't like to go anywhere without it. Only takes a few minutes to put up and really helps in stopping movement of the trailer. True the heavier the trailer, the less movement you get anyway (just from our experience) but I haven't tried camping without them with my new Monty yet so I couldn't tell you how much it helps in my current set-up.
Rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #32
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Bean, I use the aluminum tripod, weights only 16 ibs easy to store. and it helps a lot, along with the Bal wheelchocks. even the steel only weights 36 I bs and either stores easily in the front locker (where the slidout pump is) I even store my direct dish and tipod there. Some says that the tripod is heavy, but i have no problem, if you cant handle even a 36# tripod maybe they shouldnt be towing a large rig, just my opinion! Also I can set it up in less then 2 minutes. its very easy.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote