Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #21
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Had a piece of molding replaced under warranty. It was the piece along the kitchen slide. At the bottom there is a 3 sided trim cap which was removed. One look and decided I would reinstall it. It had 11 staples in the top and 5 in a side. How the tech removed it in 1 piece is beyond me. So,,, I cut each staple as close as possible and reattached with 2 finish nails. I have posted here before the person that installed the trim on my 5er should never be permitted near a nail gun, I doubt he could master a broom.
As a contractor I have to say robots can't come soon enough to these factories.

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #22
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
If you think the quality of the craftsmanship is poor on the things in plain sight like moldings and such that's nothing. If you work on your own RV just wait till you start opening up panels and going behind and under cabinets. You are going to find a lot more mistakes that they covered up. Like holes drill in the wrong place, over sized cut outs because they measured wrong, missing screws, screws going in a 45 deg angle, screws not screwed to anything, electrical wires and plumbing misrouted. This is what I have found over the years while working or adding upgrades to my RV.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #23
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
We have a 2017 3950 and have trim issues. The tech that 'tried' to fix the trim. Now it looks terrible. Worse than it was before. So yes I too will be fixing our trim.
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:29 AM   #24
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Had a piece of molding replaced under warranty. It was the piece along the kitchen slide. At the bottom there is a 3 sided trim cap which was removed. One look and decided I would reinstall it. It had 11 staples in the top and 5 in a side. How the tech removed it in 1 piece is beyond me. So,,, I cut each staple as close as possible and reattached with 2 finish nails. I have posted here before the person that installed the trim on my 5er should never be permitted near a nail gun, I doubt he could master a broom.
I had that trim fall off mine coming home from a warranty visit at the dealers. There was only three brads at each end and two in the middle of a trim about 6 feet long. I pulled those brads out and replaced with brads at each foot. We'll see how that works. I have also replaced several smaller wall moldings just using adhesive. The way these are stapled you just have to brush against them and they fall off.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:30 AM   #25
Woodyswanch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13390
We have had ALOT of our molding pop off on our brand new 2018 3791RD. We were told they cut the moldings a tad long and then when bouncing down the road they pop off. We were also told it was because the nail gun pressure was too high and nailed right through it.

We had our furnace fixed from the recall. It's a quick fix. It's just that a wire is too close to the heat.
Woodyswanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #26
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
Now that I have been pulling panels of the monty I tend to agree even more with poor QC. While running new RG6 coax to replace the RG59 on the satellite runs I kept finding a rats nest of wires, sharp bends, and a host of other electrical QC issues. I have been inspecting the other systems such as plumbing and hvac as I go. Good thing we won't be FT for a couple of years yet as it will give me time to "fix" these things. I have been keeping a list and showed it to the dealer who looked at me like I had just fallen off a turnip truck...... Sure drop your brand new monty off for 2-3 months and we will try to address all the issues.....

All good gives me something to do nights and weekends before I pull the plug on work... course if I get it all fixed then what will I have to do in retirement? 8^)

Tom
=========================
darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #27
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
If you think the quality of the craftsmanship is poor on the things in plain sight like moldings and such that's nothing. If you work on your own RV just wait till you start opening up panels and going behind and under cabinets. You are going to find a lot more mistakes that they covered up. Like holes drill in the wrong place, over sized cut outs because they measured wrong, missing screws, screws going in a 45 deg angle, screws not screwed to anything, electrical wires and plumbing misrouted. This is what I have found over the years while working or adding upgrades to my RV.
I agree, I just removed & resealed 4 baggage doors, no sealant, had to trim the openings & shim them square. luckily the camper is at my house next to my shop. Every time I open something I have the vacuum handy, zip ties, pad & pencil to correct the mess. I really don't mind as I do it as fill in work & hopefully by spring we will have a camper that doesn't leak with no loose pcs & ready to enjoy. Its a shame because it doesn't have to be this way, train your employees & supervise them, thats what I do & my projects have very minor punch lists.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:50 AM   #28
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
I agree, I just removed & resealed 4 baggage doors, no sealant, had to trim the openings & shim them square. luckily the camper is at my house next to my shop. Every time I open something I have the vacuum handy, zip ties, pad & pencil to correct the mess. I really don't mind as I do it as fill in work & hopefully by spring we will have a camper that doesn't leak with no loose pcs & ready to enjoy. Its a shame because it doesn't have to be this way, train your employees & supervise them, thats what I do & my projects have very minor punch lists.
I'm sure they have a few, very very few, qualified employees. The majority just don't know or don't care.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #29
Workman10

M.O.C. #21125
Proper nailing

I had one of the large frame pieces come off from my living room slide. The finish carpenter who nailed it on shot in lots of nails but shot them all straight in with no change in angle. This allows the board to rattle lose and work itself free. I took the piece into the shop and I pulled out all of his nails. When I reinstalled the piece, I used the same length/size nail and a finish nail gun. As I nailed down the board I reversed a 45 degree angle on each nail so they were opposing and created a strong interlocking grip on the board. It will never come off again.

As for filling the nail holes, I used a cabinet wax stick from Home Depot and filled every nail hole with the wax then wiped clean with a rag.
Workman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #30
Jim Homer
Established Member

M.O.C. #22634
Mouldings

We have had some problems with the grey white backsplash behind the stove. Part of the stones came down. Did not take back to dealer, but fixed ourselves. Same thing with moulding loosening in parts of fifth wheel. Due to time it would take in shop, we fixed it ourselves. We know it has been fixed right.
Jim Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 AM   #31
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
After taking delivery of our rig the ice maker wouldn't fill even though the valve below the sink was on. I traced it down to a second valve behind the kitchen drawers where it transitions from the pex to the 1/4 inch line that goes to the ice maker. That valve was left off. When I turned it on I got a bath because the installer blew the compression fitting. Took me about 15 minutes to fix. The factory solution was just turn off the water...

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #32
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
After taking delivery of our rig the ice maker wouldn't fill even though the valve below the sink was on. I traced it down to a second valve behind the kitchen drawers where it transitions from the pex to the 1/4 inch line that goes to the ice maker. That valve was left off. When I turned it on I got a bath because the installer blew the compression fitting. Took me about 15 minutes to fix. The factory solution was just turn off the water...
Not good! When we took delivery of our new 3950BR I went through the inspection and compared to what we were billed for to what was there. The invoice included a refrigerator with an ice maker. When I opened the refrigerator there was no ice maker at all.

Their solution was to give me a stand alone ice maker....... grrr can't make some of this stuff up. They had no explanation why the factory sheet listing the options had the "refrigerator with ice maker" on it. I double checked the vin number just in case....

I also paid the dealership to install a stackable W/D with an external vent. Did that but never tested the install and left the valves behind the stack turned off! Had to remove the dryer to get at the valves...... grrrrrrrr. While I was in there I found that they had not secured the washer drain hose to the drain pipe (as per manufacturers recommendations) either.

Oh well

Tom
=========================
darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote