Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > PREVIOUS ANNUAL MOC NORTH AMERICAN RALLIES > 2014 Annual North American Fall Rally
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We need the homeless sign!

One of the issues discussed with the Keystone tech at the Rally was a broken slide cable on the large slide out on our 3700RL. Within a half hour of leaving our coach at Keystone Customer Service we were told that the broken cable was a symptom of a larger problem. The lower front corner of the slide out opening frame was broken. The side wall was actually moving up and down when traveling cutting into the cable with each bounce.

Repairs will take somewhere between a week and two weeks depending on what they find when they open up the side wall. It would have been easy to replace the cable and send us on our way. We probably wouldn't have known the difference. We appreciate Keystone and their efforts to do things right and take care of us.

Meanwhile, we have moved in with our daughter in Ohio. We think our son-in-law will be as happy to see the repairs completed as we will.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
You are not the first to have this problem with that particular slide. That slide is in the most vulnerable place to be affected by Frame Flex and that is what causes the issue to occur. Several have had the "field repair" done by a dealer and in some cases additional support was welded above the area of the propane bottles.

Keystone certainly should step up and repair it, had they sent you on your way only replacing the cable that would have a travesty. You most certainly would have been the wiser because it would have happened again in short order. I hope the repairs done will solve your problem and it will not return. I experienced a similar problem with frame flex and the outer wall had broken away from the aluminum wall at the bedroom slide, that was repaired with their "field repair". This did not stop the frame flex but now the wall is glued to the wall frame and as far as I know is still in tact.

Good luck on the repairs.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
As was explained to us, Keystone will open up the outer skin and separate the aluminum channel. They will insert wooden strips inside the channel then weld everything back together where necessary, adding welded gussets at the angles. They then insert 6 inch screws through the aluminum and wood at intervals not more than every 4 - 5 inches. After that they epoxy everything, sand it down and repaint it. That should hold better than the original.

We didn't mean to imply that Keystone was cutting corners with their repairs. From what we can see everything will be a top notch job.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Not the same issue since our's is hydraulic, but we took our unit in after the Rally when it was new for what we thought was a minor problem. They had to remove the slide and do a number of things. It was a top flight job and I'm glad we took it to them and not a dealer. You should be able to pick it up with confidence.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Dick, Actually the issue has nothing to do with the method that works the slide out. It's more structural. Anywhere there is an opening in the side wall for a slide out, a weak spot is created. The larger the slide out, the greater the chance of a weak spot failure. I think we have the biggest with the 3700RL bedroom slide taking up almost half the length of the coach.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I wish I hadn't tossed the sign back at the fair grounds, but all you need is a cardboard box and a Super Sharpie. I hope you rig gets fixed soon. Sorry to hear about the frame issue..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #7
dunrovin1955
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13868
The homeless sign was passed off to us on the last eve of the rally. I believe it got left in the dumpster. I new a homeless soul would find it there because,if homeless you should be dumpster diving for your next meal.You can't believe what great leftovers those MOC folks throw in the dumpster. LOL, Brent
dunrovin1955 is offline   Reply With Quote